Water ~ only 8 cups?

Options
Are we measuring the 8 cups of water in measuring cups? I always thought you should drink 8 - 16 oz everyday. Will someone clear it up for me??

Thanks!

Jennifer

Replies

• laurad8911
    Options
    you thought you should only drink 8-16 oz in an ENTIRE day??!?!

the recommendation is 8 glasses each containing 8 oz of water (8 oz= 1 cup), so 8 cups of water is 64 oz each day
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    8-8oz. glasses for a sedentary person. MORE if you are active. So yes, you're right.
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Tehy clearly state that they recommend at least 8 cups of water/day.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    LOL!! yes... (8) 1 cup a aday to equal 64 oz. so if you have more much better. That is just the suggested amount we should atleast be having daily.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I believe that she meant that she thought the recommendation was eight 16 oz. glasses a day, thereby doubling what the actual recommendation is.

The recommendation is 64 oz. a day, but I have read that the body actually needs one gallon of water a day for proper function. Which is the amount you thought.

I try to drink a gallon, minimum.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I drink 10-12 8 oz. glasses (a cup) a day. I sweat quite a bit with workouts so I need it.

Here's what the mayo clinic says.

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.
    Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
    Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yeh basically what you want is to be thinking "I feel the need ... the NEED FOR SPEED!!!"

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    I bought a 64oz jug from Dollar Tree....I drink that entire amount every day, no matter what.

On active days I drink more because I sweat a lot.

Keep in mind that you also get water from other sources, such as veggies and fruits...if you're getting the recommended daily requirement of fruits and veggies a day and they're the water packed fruits and veggies, those alone are giving you 2 - 2 1/2 cups of water as well.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    i drink 10-14 cups a day (80-112 ounces). I drink water from 16oz bottles so each bottle is 2 cups.

1 bottle in the AM around/with breakfast
    1 bottle mid-morning
    1 bottle with lunch
    1 bottle in the afternoon
    2 bottles with workout
    1 bottle with dinner

Its not hard to drink a bunch of water once you get used to it and if you replace water with other beverages you used to drink. I pretty much just drink only water with the very occasional bit of orange juice with breakfast or a beer a couple times a week in the evening.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think it means at least 8 glasses.
  • Ninnifer
    Ninnifer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! 64 oz is definately something I can do everyday.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! 64 oz is definately something I can do everyday.
    This may go without saying, but try to space out your water intake. You're unlikely to drink too much at once, but it's best to spread it out throughout the day. And definitely drink more than that if you exercise.
  • Ninnifer
    Options
    I try to drink a gallon too. I might make it 1 -2 days a week but I try
  • Ninnifer
    Options
    i drink 10-14 cups a day (80-112 ounces). I drink water from 16oz bottles so each bottle is 2 cups.

1 bottle in the AM around/with breakfast
    1 bottle mid-morning
    1 bottle with lunch
    1 bottle in the afternoon
    2 bottles with workout
    1 bottle with dinner

Its not hard to drink a bunch of water once you get used to it and if you replace water with other beverages you used to drink. I pretty much just drink only water with the very occasional bit of orange juice with breakfast or a beer a couple times a week in the evening.

Great plan - Thanks for sharing