Dealing with injuries

Options
I slipped a few weeks ago and twisted my knee. It still hurts. Even just going on walks is painful so going on my runs and dancing is not an option. It's too cold right not to swim. I also just burned my right palm really badly so I can't even do dumbbell exercises. My weight loss has stalled. I'm not sure why but my mom and I both have body types where we must work out to lose weight no matter how well we eat. I think it's a metabolism thing. Anyway please help with any ideas. I can feel myself getting weak from lack of exercise.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Weight loss is not about how "well" you eat (although nutrition is important for health), it's about your calorie intake compared to how many calories your body burns. If you are losing weight and reduce your calories out, you have to reduce your calories in by that amount to keep losing weight. Depending upon how active you were, you'll need to reduce calories in just to prevent weight gain while you are less active.

As for exercises, you might look for chair exercises on youtube.
  • pastelfae
    pastelfae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight loss is not about how "well" you eat (although nutrition is important for health), it's about your calorie intake compared to how many calories your body burns. If you are losing weight and reduce your calories out, you have to reduce your calories in by that amount to keep losing weight. Depending upon how active you were, you'll need to reduce calories in just to prevent weight gain while you are less active.

I know it's about calories when I say eat well that's what I mean. Even when I'm eating the right amount of calories if I'm not working out i just don't lose weight.
  • pastelfae
    Options
    I set MFP to sedentary when I hurt my knee so I knew to eat less calories
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Most people underestimate their intake. Do you weight everything you eat on a digital scale?

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This guy actually turned out to be kind of fun. He's pretty good about showing modified versions of his harder exercises.

https://youtu.be/QkLFPGuF-tQ
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about how "well" you eat... focus on how MUCH you eat. Body types are basically just excuses.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I sprained one of my hip flexors which took me out of doing any leg work/cardio (even swimming) for 3.5 months. I still made it 5x a week to the gym by training my upper body. I did the following spit: chest, back, arms, rest, chest, back, rest.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds like piling on, but you really will lose weight is you eat less. It might be more difficult and uncomfortable for you to lose weight that way, but I promise that even if you’re on the end of the metabolism bell curve, eating less still works. If the calories MPF is giving to isn’t working then either your measuring is off or MFP is off - it’s just an estimate, after all.

That said, I’m a big believer in letting your body heal - maybe this is a good opportunity to take a diet break and practice eating at maintenance. Good luck - you can do this!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My neck, back and hip are hurting me this week. I just cut my calories a little sense I'm not burning much sitting at my desk all day. I don't like working out when my injuries flared up so if I'm delayed a week while I heal so be it, world won't end.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    pastelfae wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

I know it's about calories when I say eat well that's what I mean. Even when I'm eating the right amount of calories if I'm not working out i just don't lose weight.

How are you tracking your calorie intake?

You obviously know that if you were cast adrift in the middle of an ocean in a small boat with no food (and no oars to give you a workout!) you would lose weight.
    Somewhere between that hypothetical point and your current point where you can't lose weight without exercise is the calorie level where you will indeed lose weight while injured and sedentary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its the calories you eat that determine if weight loss happens regardless of exercise, if you are eating less than you burn even without exercise you will lose weight so look at your food logging until you recover and are able to exercise more again.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain injuries suck. Second 5k I did hurt my patella tendon just now almost year later does it feel back to 100%. Boxing I tore my rotator cuff still dealing with that now. Getting healthy is dangerous nobody told me that.

But for exercises I would try and get in a pool that's what I did when hurt my knee couldn't walk far but can swim far. But would just look into bodyweight exercises planks won't hurt your knees, and dumbbell or kettlebell exercises should be ok work on your upper body/arm strength. Don't rush an injury just sets you back further in the long run.

Would see a doctor also might just need a wrap or something else to stabilize it enough to walk well.
  • pastelfae
    Options
    I typed out a long reply and MFP deleted it so short version: knee still hurts and I'm gonna see my doctor I think being obese with my already chronic pain issues is making it worse. Thanks for all the advice and I'm gonna try some water work outs if approved by my doctor
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Have you let a doctor look at your knee? You may have done some damage in their that you will want to know about/may require restrictions to help heal/keep you from damaging it further. I'd start there and let the doctor tell you what activity you can safely do.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    ^^^^
    Sorry, just now saw your comment that you are going to the doc.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Here are some chair workouts, and they have a number of other limited mobility workouts as well:
    sparkpeople.tv/video.asp?id=633

But what the others said is true....it really does come down to eating less than you are burning.

That being said, I find for me, trying to lose weight on just my eating leaves me miserable. I have a desk job M-F, and the calories are so low without added exercise that I feel like I'm starving and find it nearly impossible to maintain. Working out like I do allows me enough calories to not feel miserable and still stay at a slight deficit.

My body doesn't NEED the working out to lose weight - but my stomach much prefers it, and my mind most definitely prefers it!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Take heart and just keep doing what you are doing! Being diligent in the calorie logging will be key but also finding a comfortable exercise will help with your motivation and general well being! Good luck! Sorry about the knee
  • faythe621
    faythe621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a minor fracture in my left knee in November, took 6 weeks to heal and I still have issues with pain and discomfort when I exercise. My physical therapist suggested a recumbent bike for low-impact exercise and that works for me. Also gentle stretching exercises before and after help prevent pain too.