HELP; DISCOURAGED

I have been dieting & exercising 1.5 hrs a day on average for 4 weeks & I've only lost 4 lbs. I maintain on average a 800 cals/day & maintain 40/40/20 on macros. This last week it's more like 50/30/20. I do 30-45 min cardio (eliptical) & 30-45 min weights (circuit) 5-7 days a week. Weight is almost unchanged, inches unchanged as well. I'm at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated! I eat no sweets, soda, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, & very few fruits. My main diet is fresh veggies, fish, poultry, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, protein bars.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    If you were truly eating (or should I say undereating!) 800 calories a day then you would be losing weight. You are eating more than you think.
  • rclifton76
    rclifton76 Posts: 3 Member
    tyrindor wrote: »
    rclifton76 wrote: »
    I maintain on average a 800 cals/day & maintain 40/40/20 on macros.
    I do 30-45 min cardio (eliptical) & 30-45 min weights (circuit) 5-7 days a week.

No you don't. That's basically impossible, you'd never have the energy to exercise on that few of calories. Women shouldn't eat less than 1200 a day, and Men shouldn't eat less than 1500 a day.

Macros means nothing for weight loss. Whether you eat chocolate or salad, you will lose the same amount if you actually count calories correctly.

1 pound a week is within reasonable expectations of weight loss, if you want to lose faster you need to be way more accurate with counting.

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have been dieting & exercising 1.5 hrs a day on average for 4 weeks & I've only lost 4 lbs. I maintain on average a 800 cals/day & maintain 40/40/20 on macros. This last week it's more like 50/30/20. I do 30-45 min cardio (eliptical) & 30-45 min weights (circuit) 5-7 days a week. Weight is almost unchanged, inches unchanged as well. I'm at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated! I eat no sweets, soda, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, & very few fruits. My main diet is fresh veggies, fish, poultry, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, protein bars.

Oh boy, there is so much wrong in this. 800 calories??? First of all, if that were true, you're killing yourself slowly. For one, you are not getting enough nutrients and fiber and worst of all, you are getting little food for your body to function properly. However, I highly doubt you are eating 800 calories, I am sure your miscalculating something or not weighing food properly. You say you lost 4 lbs, if you truly ate at 800 calories, you would be losing a lot more than that. You are eating supposedly at a very huge and risky deficit. Oh and the foods that you eat don't mean anything. You can still lose weight by eating junk food, just like you can gain weight with only healthy foods. Food selection makes no difference, calories do when it comes to weight loss. The issue right now is the accuracy of the food you log and weigh. You seem not to know how it all works by the look of it.

Just don't take it the wrong the way, we all start somewhere, but I would start to learn the basics.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    fb47 wrote: »

Oh boy, there is so much wrong in this. 800 calories??? First of all, if that were true, you're killing yourself slowly. For one, you are not getting enough nutrients and fiber and worst of all, you are getting little food for your body to function properly. However, I highly doubt you are eating 800 calories, I am sure your miscalculating something or not weighing food properly. You say you lost 4 lbs, if you truly ate at 800 calories, you would be losing a lot more than that. You are eating supposedly at a very huge and risky deficit. Oh and the foods that you eat don't mean anything. You can still lose weight by eating junk food, just like you can gain weight with only healthy foods. Food selection makes no difference, calories do when it comes to weight loss. The issue right now is the accuracy of the food you log and weigh. You seem not to know how it all works by the look of it.

Just don't take it the wrong the way, we all start somewhere, but I would start to learn the basics.

I agree with this.^^^
    I want to just add that your numbers weight wise may be off (higher) for many reasons including constipation and edema.

800 kcals a day along with a lot of excercise, is underfeeding your body dangerously. This will backfire on you if it hasn't already. Your body needs enough fuel to do all of its functions in keeping you healthy and alive. Malnourishment is not a sensible weight loss plan. :(
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    So you lost 4 pounds in 4 weeks (congrats!!) and you feel frustrated because you didn't lose anything in a week since (relax it's only been a week weight does fluctuate). I've gone up 3 pounds one week, and lost it all within the next 2 weeks before it's normal. Chill also I don't think you're really eating 800 calories for obvious reasons, but I think what's wrong is you have a mentality that you have to eat that few calories to lose weight.

What's your current height and weight? Also I'd reccomend you use a food scale, and eat the calories reccomended by MyFitnessPal eat the intake provide not 800 calories once you start tracking your intake better.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I re-read your OP, you were venting I guess. Patience is what you need. Best wishes
This discussion has been closed.