Struggles with food

Options
Hi! I just started reusing this app and am new to this forum.
My weight has yo-yo’d back and forth between the same 10 pounds for the past two years, and I’m frustrated at feeling unable to get below 165. I’m a 34 YO female, height 5’6”.
I am recently gluten free as I am testing the theory that I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity issues.
I know that I sabotage myself a lot with my diet - I’ll be on a stretch of eating normal portions and healthy foods, and then I spend a day binge eating junk food. Occasionally (but not always) I will even purge after binging.
I’m not gaining weight lately. But I can’t lose.
I know a lot of it is mental/emotional.
But physically I feel it is hard as well. I can’t lose weight like I used to when I was younger. And I’m in desperate need of support and motivation. I want to feel more comfortable in my own skin again.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    What makes you go on a food binge? craving sweets? don't feel satisfied with your meals? like maybe you really didn't eat. bored? not feeling good? tired? - Eastcoast Jim
  • g4ard
    g4ard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I binge at night. I can go all day without food. I don’t, try to eat 3 meals a day. But at night it’s like I’m starving. I go to bed to keep from eating and get up to eat. I think it’s a mind thing. I refuse to do this overweight thing again. I’ve loss over 100 pounds. My brain had triggered that I’m starving.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise?

Even something light like walking could trigger your appetite earlier in the day causing you to eat more normally. Strength training could also help you tone up and get a nicer figure.

I struggle with night binges myself. It's tough. :/
  • tarelee622
    tarelee622 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    g4ard wrote: »
    I binge at night. I can go all day without food. I don’t, try to eat 3 meals a day. But at night it’s like I’m starving. I think it’s a mind thing. My brain had triggered that I’m starving.

When I am in binge mode this is EXACTLY how I feel! I make it through the whole day only to start my binges around what would be dinner time.

ecjim wrote: »
    What makes you go on a food binge? craving sweets? don't feel satisfied with your meals? like maybe you really didn't eat. bored? not feeling good? tired? - Eastcoast Jim

I don’t feel satisfied with my meals generally. I feel like I’m always hungry no matter what. But I’m not sure if it’s mental or physical. Because if I’m busy working, etc. like I said before, I can make it through the day eating a little amount of food. Sometimes I’ll even forget to eat until like 1p. I think coffee suppresses my appetite.

When I’m binging it’s usually a combination of fast food, chips, ice cream, pasta, cakes/donuts/etc...

Ardael wrote: »
    Do you exercise?

Even something light like walking could trigger your appetite earlier in the day causing you to eat more normally. Strength training could also help you tone up and get a nicer figure.

I struggle with night binges myself. It's tough. :/

I do. I go to the gym an average of three times a week. I primarily do cardio. The elliptical, stair stepper, and use the treadmill on an incline power walking.
    I will also do weight training.
    I think I eat less on days I use the gym because I feel more motivated.
    Days when I binge all I think about is food. It’s like an obsession those days and I don’t see the point of doing anything other than eating and sleeping.
  • tarelee622
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. <3
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I have a dessert almost every day. I just plan for the calories, and still hit my daily limit goal. Maybe if you don't feel so restricted, the feeling of deprivation you feel will lessen and you won't be prone to panic eating.
  • tarelee622
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Break things down into individual behaviors and habits...

THANK YOU for the response. I highly value this thoughtful and detailed advice and I am going to make a plan and begin this!!!!
    Especially the logging of food and symptoms and reasons for eating etc.
    I really like that idea.

I downloaded MyFitnessPal to start logging food and calories and haven’t begun this yet.
    But expanding my scope will give a whole picture.
    Thank you.

• tarelee622
    Options
    Also...
    I am gluten free because I believe I have Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.

I began this year doing the FODMAP diet as an elimination diet and then reintroduced food types to find out what was triggering me. It seems to have been gluten that was creating severe bloating and intestinal pain and I have been feeling better since not eating it.
  • Rockwoodcommalindsey
    Rockwoodcommalindsey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! We share similar height and weight stats. I started this journey at 163 lbs and now I am at 150 (I'm also 5'6). I was really big into working out- gym, mountain biking, running and horse back riding but all that stopped when I hurt my back last spring. I now focus on what im putting in my body. I have upped my fruits and veggies, and cut out a lot of boxed and prepared foods and it has really worked to help me keep my weight the same. I also LOG EVERYTHING. Even if it's bad, log it! There are still days where I eat really well and still find myself in the kitchen at midnight making mug brownies and topping them off with vanilla frozen yogurt. Sweets are my ultimate arch enemy but I dont deny myself them when the cravings arise. We're only human!
    Start small. One day at a time. It is possible!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hey I struggle too. Not much advice to give but have had/am of similar stats.