1200 calories a day

Options
Aydin_394
Aydin_394 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2018 in Getting Started
How does one just eat 1200 calories a day? on a good day mine is 2000!

Replies

• jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I started dieting I sometimes didn't even reach 1200 kcal, but I also hardly moved around at all and was horribly out of shape. My body was above all excited to be finally getting plenty of good foods. However, I need to mention that I am short (1,62m or 5'3) with a bmr around 1200-1300 kcal according to the online calculator, so doing this for a month or less did not have devestating effects on me. The moment I started exercising and building muscle mass, even on rest days it was impossible not to add 100-300 much needed extra calories. I feel that 1200 is alright when you begin if you are short (and maybe small-framed) and not exercising, but it's certainly not sustainable in the long run and could be downright irresponsible.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am 43, 5 foot 5, weigh 172lbs. I cycle to and from work, I do not have a desk job (fairly active) and I lift heavy things in the gym 3 days a week. I eat an average of 2150 cals per day to lose 1 lb per week.

I would end up eating everything in sight if I attempted to eat 1200. I would lose 2lbs per week eating the UK government recommended 1600 cals per day.

My point is, your body needs energy to function. Eat as much as you can and be flexible (no bad foods and include treats and so called junk) at a reasonable deficit to stop binge eating and yo-yo-ing. 2 lbs per week is plenty when you have lots to lose, that tapers down to 0.5 lb per week when you have less to lose. The target mfp sets you when you input all your stats includes the deficit. Exercise cals need to be eaten.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Most people don't need to eat that little to lose.
    I'm petite, lightly active and could lose 0.5lb a week eating 1750-1800 calories.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Very easily, but i prefer calorie cycling if i need to eat that low, just for flexibility's sake
  • grogs1964
    grogs1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am the above - 53 - weigh 175 pounds and 5 ft 3 inches. It has set me at 1200 calories and by reading the above if I start adding in excercise I can eat those calories too? I've started tracking today and have come in 70 under.
  • Richbelle1
    Richbelle1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    grogs1964 wrote: »
    Hi I am the above - 53 - weigh 175 pounds and 5 ft 3 inches. It has set me at 1200 calories and by reading the above if I start adding in excercise I can eat those calories too? I've started tracking today and have come in 70 under.

@grogs1964 you definitely should eat the equivalent of the calories you lose at the gym because you need that energy. You've already made a huge calorie deficit by limiting yourself to 1200.
    At rest, our bodies lose about 1800 calories (for short women like us). So that's a deficit of about 600. If you add the calories you burn while working out (let's say 300) you'll have a deficit of 900. That's great. However, you need energy for your exercise and will need to eat at least 200 more calories to be able to sustain your workouts.
  • jross1211
    jross1211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So maybe you can help me. I'm 5'7" 153 pounds and lightly active. I'm a nurse on a 10 room memory care unit, most of my residents are in the common area all day so i do not have to run up and down the hall way at all. MFP suggest 1220 calories per day, so are you all saying that is to low? I've never had to watch what i ate but since i'm getting older its harder not to gain weight. Until I was about 25 i weighed 115-120. I dont really want to get that thin again but maybe 130-135
  • Aydin_394
    Aydin_394 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I can ever control my appetite! I exercise 3,4 or 5 times a week. And I can’t imagine eating just 1200 cal. Although I am active I haven’t been losing because I eat too much. I love food! I need to staple shut my mouth
  • branco05
    branco05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i find it is alot easier when i fast.. i do a 16/8 fast and alot of times i am not hungry.. i east because my window is closing.. without a fast i dont think i could do it
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    veggies seafood and chicken
  • Richbelle1
    Richbelle1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    jross1211 wrote: »
    So maybe you can help me. I'm 5'7" 153 pounds and lightly active. I'm a nurse on a 10 room memory care unit, most of my residents are in the common area all day so i do not have to run up and down the hall way at all. MFP suggest 1220 calories per day, so are you all saying that is to low? I've never had to watch what i ate but since i'm getting older its harder not to gain weight. Until I was about 25 i weighed 115-120. I dont really want to get that thin again but maybe 130-135

Hey @jross1211 maybe you asked MFP to help you lose weight real quick so it calibrated your intake to 1200. With your height and job, I really don't think 1200 is necessary. Consider going to 1500 and see how that works for you at first. also, you want to lose just 20 pounds. 1500 should be more than enough!