Does heat destroy protein?

Options
SophRW
SophRW Posts: 93 Member
I use Optimum Nutrition's gold standard protein powder. I'm wondering if it needs to be stirred into cold liquid or if it keeps its nutritional properties when warmed. For example, is a scoop of chocolate protein powder in warm milk ok? I tried e-mailing the company but never heard back...

Replies

• theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It uh.. denatures it, so in a way it is prematurely digested.
    Here! :)
    http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animations/content/proteinstructure.html

edit:
    Sorry, to more accurately answer your question it is OK to do it!
  • Bebemadison
    Options
    My dad makes the best chocolate pudding with his protein powder which he cooks like reg pudding. So you should be able to do it.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I know the texture gets really weird when I try to mix it into really hot oatmeal. It gets chewy and chunky. So I usually let it cool a bit first. Not sure what's going on on the molecular level, though...,...
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all of this is good to know!
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's gold standard protein powder. I'm wondering if it needs to be stirred into cold liquid or if it keeps its nutritional properties when warmed. For example, is a scoop of chocolate protein powder in warm milk ok? I tried e-mailing the company but never heard back...

What exactly do you think happens to protein when you ingest it?
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's still edible, just a bit weird to eat.

Similar to perming hair. It's still hair... just... different.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It would have to be exposed to HIGH heat for a period of time before it denatures. A good example of protein denaturing is a raw egg getting cooked. You need to have heat at a certain degree, then have to have it on that heat for a certain amount of time. I say no if you are stirring protein powder in to hot or warm water or milk.