Squat for Summer Challenge

Hey y'all!! I decided to challenge myself to get my booty in shape for summer. So, I choose something that is no where NEAR original....

So, every time I go to the bathroom, I do 25 squats before I leave...My plan is to get up to 500 squats a day (NOT by going to the bathroom). Any time I think about this challenge I'm going to do 25 more squats. (The bathroom idea was just to get it started. Plus, I look pretty silly doing squats at work).

Anyone interested? I've never done anything like this, so I'm not sure how we would keep track of everyone and who's doing what, but it's just an idea to help some of you that have the same problem as me. :smile:

I just know I'm SICK of being embarrassed about what I look like in a bathing suit! I live at the BEACH for goodness sake! I'm SINGLE and I'm turning 40 this year!!! It's time for me to enjoy life!!! :smile:

Replies

• DanielleMackay2015
    DanielleMackay2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Donkey kicks and lundges work really well for helping enhance your bum. Could maybe work that into it too?
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 2018
    doing this everyday doesn't really give your muscles a break to grow (read: tone)...
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    25 squats at a time is ... a lot. I know you're just doing bodyweight, but I doubt your form is as good on #25 as it is on #1. And with inferior form comes inferior results. When I lift I rarely go above 10 or 12 reps because that's the point where my mind starts to wander and my form breaks down because I lose focus. As a result, I tend to choose a weight that challenges me for 5-8 reps so I maintain good form the whole time.

This is a good read on why doing high reps is a waste of time and potentially dangerous, particularly this section:
    • Place your feet just a over shoulder width apart.
    • Make sure your toes are facing out just slightly.
    • Now stand up straight, pull your shoulders back, push your chest forward. This is easily achieved by putting your hands on the back of your head and pulling your elbows back.
    • Tilt your hips so that the top of your booty rolls upwards towards your back.
    • Keep your back in a neutral position and keep your knees over the center of your feet.
    • Take a deep breath and then exhale as you slowly bend your knees, hips and ankles lowering your body as much as you can and trying to achieve a 90 degree angle.
    • Keeping your weight balanced on your heels and pushing from the heel in an upward thrust, lift your body at the same pace that you lowered it and return to your start position.
    Alright you just did one squat. Are you SURE you did it correctly? If you are, are you sure you could do it correctly twelve times? Twenty five times? Fifty? One Hundred? Are you positive that you do the squat so well there is absolutely no need at all for any modifications?
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    doing this everyday doesn't really give your muscles a break to grow...

Bodyweight squats won't increase your muscle mass anyeays so no worries about that.

I call bull - I do the bathroom squat thing on the regular -and yes - you notice a difference in your glutes.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    curiousgp wrote: »
    doing this everyday doesn't really give your muscles a break to grow...

Bodyweight squats won't increase your muscle mass anyeays so no worries about that.

I call bull - I do the bathroom squat thing on the regular -and yes - you notice a difference in your glutes.

What they're saying is metabolic stress is a driver for hypertrophy. It's the same as if you curled a 5lb dumbbell everydsy. Sure for the first few weeks maybe it would produce results, but not long after that your body would adapt and you would no longer see anywhere near as significant results. That's why calisthenics only get you so far. Its why somebody who squats hundreds of pounds will have more glute mass than someone who only does bodyweight.

I won't bash the idea. It's a challenge to set for yourself and 100% support that. But if you really want to build your booty adding progressive overload would be a far better idea
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    500 bw squats a day would destroy my knees and do nothing for my glutes. You are better off doing 25 weighted squats and going for a 30 minute walk . You're actually much better off just doing a full body bw program
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    doing this everyday doesn't really give your muscles a break to grow (read: tone)...

Do you take a day off between walking around?

Certain levels of activity don't require rest.
  • stanmann571
    Froggyh wrote: »
    25 squats at a time is ... a lot. I know you're just doing bodyweight, but I doubt your form is as good on #25 as it is on #1. And with inferior form comes inferior results. When I lift I rarely go above 10 or 12 reps because that's the point where my mind starts to wander and my form breaks down because I lose focus. As a result, I tend to choose a weight that challenges me for 5-8 reps so I maintain good form the whole time.

This is a good read on why doing high reps is a waste of time and potentially dangerous, particularly this section:
    • Now stand up straight, pull your shoulders back, push your chest forward. This is easily achieved by putting your hands on the back of your head and pulling your elbows back.
    • Keep your back in a neutral position and keep your knees over the center of your feet.
    • Take a deep breath and then exhale as you slowly bend your knees, hips and ankles lowering your body as much as you can and trying to achieve a 90 degree angle.
    • Keeping your weight balanced on your heels and pushing from the heel in an upward thrust, lift your body at the same pace that you lowered it and return to your start position.
    Alright you just did one squat. Are you SURE you did it correctly? If you are, are you sure you could do it correctly twelve times? Twenty five times? Fifty? One Hundred? Are you positive that you do the squat so well there is absolutely no need at all for any modifications?

25 reps isn't anywhere close to high reps for bodyweight squats.
  • stanmann571
    It's not going to do much for strength or mass, but if you do them correctly(deep) you'll benefit in the long term by gaining and maintaining mobility.
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member

Eh, I think it is if you're inexperienced (which, given that the OP is hoping to build mass through doing hundreds of bodyweight squats a day, I suspect she is), because you don't have the movement patterns ingrained. Based on the squats I see from a lot of beginners, form tends to crap out waaaayyy before 25 reps, which is why I said it's a lot.

On the other hand, if you've been squatting with a barbell three times a week for the past several years, then the movement is automatic and you don't need to pay attention to correct form, so you can crank out way more than 25 without breaking a sweat.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

25 is high rep for any movement, at any weight.