I want a BIG BOOTY

Options
Hahaha now that I caught your attention I wanted to know how to create that big booty physique... I have a bit of an ice cream cone shaped body, I am a little curvy but because I have big boobs it makes my butt look kind of on the small side lol can anyone relate here?? I just want to grow the bum and even it out so I got a good chunk of meat in all the right places... Can anyone tell me what good exercises can help it or is it even possible?? If so how long does it take to achieve those results with consistent workouts??

Replies

• StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I’m sure the person above is right, a lot of it must be genetics. But for me, squats all week long pretty much instantly helped give me a lifted, rounder booty. I always had a good sized bum, but it was flat, droopy and I just thought that was how my butt was shaped. It was amazing how quickly it changed, the first place I could see wow changes... wish my stomach reacted the same :neutral:

My new workout program has moved that focus on the side of the bum and I can see that filling out better as well now.
  • DanielleMackay2015
    DanielleMackay2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would say a weighted squat, donkey kicks, lunges, walking on a treadmill with a high incline are all ways that can help getting a more toned bum. Some of the ways that I've used but I'm still trying to figure it out too!
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I’m sure the person above is right, a lot of it must be genetics. But for me, squats all week long pretty much instantly helped give me a lifted, rounder booty. I always had a good sized bum, but it was flat, droopy and I just thought that was how my butt was shaped. It was amazing how quickly it changed, the first place I could see wow changes... wish my stomach reacted the same :neutral:

My new workout program has moved that focus on the side of the bum and I can see that filling out better as well now.

what new workout program are you doing?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Growing the glutes can be slow (genetics can definitely be a factor), it requires proper training as well as ideally a surplus or at least eating at maintenance (although this will be a lot slower). If you are eating in a deficit to lose weight, you may see some improvement but it won't be too significant unfortunately.

I would recommend following a lifting program like Strong Curves which is especially focused on the glutes.

I've been growing mine for over 3 years now, so ya slow... it definitely takes time.

This.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Growing the glutes can be slow (genetics can definitely be a factor), it requires proper training as well as ideally a surplus or at least eating at maintenance (although this will be a lot slower). If you are eating in a deficit to lose weight, you may see some improvement but it won't be too significant unfortunately.

I would recommend following a lifting program like Strong Curves which is especially focused on the glutes.

I've been growing mine for over 3 years now, so ya slow... it definitely takes time.

The proof is in the pudding.
  • StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Options

what new workout program are you doing?

I am doing the 80 day obsession program which has a lot of squats throughout the week and also has a whole day of booty work each week. This is the program that is also focusing on the side area of the tush. The program uses resistance loops in conjunction with a lot of the moves, so this is probably taking all the moves up a notch.

But I also had great results with the 21 Day Fix routine and PiYo too.

Consistency seems to be key. I was really unmotivated during Dec & Jan (just doing Yoga) and noticed it losing shape, but I’m about a month in now and I’m seeing nice lift and shape improving again.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I knocked my booty down just to build it back up with muscle. It took me almost a year to go from a fat 44 inch hip measurement to a slim (for me) 37 inch pancake butt. Then I started building. I ate in a surplus, continued with my powerlifting which I love, and added in some of the bigger glute accessory work from Strong Curves. Back up to 40 inches and I think it's a decent butt.

It took a lot of time, patience, specific programming with progressive overload. I had other goals I focused on.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't know if I can tell you how to grow your rear, but I will say that I took up running several years ago and my wife was NOT a fan! I completely lost my rear after 3/4 years of running. Luckily, for her, I developed chronic runner's knee and had to move to rowing (most muscle development). In the course of rowing, I got into competing with rowing and now I do a lot lifts like the others are talking about and it has been very slow going but the wife is pleased with the progress over a few years. I no longer have the flat Dad/runner thing going on back there... I do like to use the Stairmaster at the gym a lot, skipping steps and basically using it as a lunge machine. I'm now working a heavy KB program where I'm doing 150/200 swings on my hard rowing days. KB swings (with heavier weights) are pretty good for glute development.

Slower running is not a great idea, more powerful activities are required. Think long distance runner versus sprinter. You're wanting the sprinter bottom.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Brett Contreras is the master of the glutes. He's done all the research and he's the reason the hip thrust is gaining popularity.

You cannot go wrong with his "Strong Curves" book. The results of his clients should be all the proof anyone needs.
  • momofssc
    momofssc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cassidy95c wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what good exercises can help it or is it even possible?? If so how long does it take to achieve those results with consistent workouts??

I can tell you from experience DON'T DO SQUATS to build a booty. Squats are quad dominant.

You need glute dominate exercises...single leg glute bridge, hip thrusts (a must!!!), frog pumps, short stride walking lunges (don't take huge steps, and keep your knee over your toe), donkey kicks (put weight in your "leg pit" and lift), fire hydrants (again, weight in your "leg pit"), resistance band training (band around your knees or thighs for every exercise mentioned), deadlifts.

Whatever you do, work your glutes MORE than 1x/wk. Glutes are a lazy muscle. Make sure when you're working them, you are actively thinking about your muscle contracting. You must "feel the burn". The burn breaks down the tissue so it can rebuild stronger.

All mentioned exercises can be worked with body weight or weights, at home or in a gym. When you do squats, keep your toes light. Lift with your heels to activate more of the glute (again, this is NOT a glute focused exercise).

Don't expect an immediate change. It will take time. I gained 1" in my hips in 6 wks of hard physical therapy (8 exercises 3x each at 3x/day). I could definitely see a difference and feel a difference in my jeans. Hard work pays off.

Also, if you're eating at an extreme deficit you won't gain a single muscle. You MUST be putting enough protein, fat and carbs into your body if you're lifting weights.

Good luck!

• ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    85% Genetics. Blessed or cursed, not sure which. I always laugh at pictures that compare lifters to runners. Evidently, 26.2 miles isn't far enough for me! (However, I do lift too). lol
  • Aytak
    Aytak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a genetically small bum but have been able to get some decent results with weighted squats, weighted hip thrusts and kickbacks. The last two are even better as squats also focus on your hamstrings and not solely the glute. That and eating!!
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters here about Bret Contreras. He’s the king of glutes and his Strong Curves book is awesome.
  • plythacur
    plythacur Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As someone who definitely got all the boob genes and no booty genes, I’d echo other people here in saying it will take time and concerted effort, but it isn’t impossible. I do glute heavy leg days 2-3 times a week working in deadlifts, weighted hip thrusts, standing and kneeling (on a bench) weighted cable kickbacks, side stepping squats with a band around my legs, single leg squats, and a few other things. It has taken about 9 months but I can now bounce my previously flat booty in a pretty impressive fashion. Don’t be afraid to go heavy on the weights, after all you are looking to bulk not tone.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    adele012 wrote: »
    Agree with the other posters here about Bret Contreras. He’s the king of glutes and his Strong Curves book is awesome.

I never really pay all that much attention to names of trainers but one of my favority T-Nation posts is on Heavy Kettlebell Swings (like really heavy) and it's all about how heavy KBs are (possibly) at least as effective as deadlifts to work the glutes and turns out it was written by Bret Contreras. I was curious if he had heavy KB swings as part of that book because this T-Nation article was written a year or so before his Strong Curves book came out. My guess would be probably no because heavy KBs aren't that accessible in gyms. Not many gyms carry them. You almost have to buy your own.

Just thought it was ironic, I just was looking at that article again recently and put the name together with the article (one of my favorites on glute activation).

https://www.t-nation.com/training/are-heavy-kettlebell-swings-better-than-deadlifts

I'm not near the weight he's using in this video (for that matter I'm not at the weight he eventually recommends for females!) but I'm slowly getting there...