Hello Fresh

Options
Anyone do Hello Fresh? I've just signed up to these guys with a coupon for a couple of weeks (lured by not having to have think about what's for dinner after work) and just wondering if anyone has had any particularly good or bad experiences. I'll still weigh and track everything of course, but are their calorie estimates fairly accurate? Their average meal looks to be around 600 calories - does that match with what people have found while realistically tracking?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I bought it for a month for my family of three. My husband and teenage son, they thought there was not enough food and I had to give up some of my portion. The following meals I added more food(calories) for them. I did like it though, it made me cook something I never thought of making.

Is it just for you or for you and your family?
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Family friends of mine use it. It is an outcome for busy people who don't want to think about what to eat or don't want to get groceries for dinner. On the otherhand it is quite expensive for the amount of food you get.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Plus they kept asking me via email to refer friends to the service, which I thought was a bit rich given that they hadn’t even yet demonstrated to ME that they were good.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I subbed for about a year and a half. For the first year, we really enjoyed it. And it worked with our schedule as we didn't have to deal with the grocery rush every week. The quality of ingredients was great. But they added premium meals, hall of fame meals, breakfast, etc., and we felt like the variety pretty much disappeared. So we cancelled and went back to traditional meal planning.

We have a good collection of recipes (and their recipes are available without a subscription). Be warned though that a number of their meals can be 800-900+ calories.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I bought it for a month for my family of three. My husband and teenage son, they thought there was not enough food and I had to give up some of my portion. The following meals I added more food(calories) for them. I did like it though, it made me cook something I never thought of making.

Is it just for you or for you and your family?

It's for my family of four - kids are 6 and 9, so probably won't eat that much of it, so hoping to have enough for dinner and lunch the next day. At $190 per week (Australia - everything is expensive here) it is a little exy, so definitely wouldn't do it every week...but the meals in our first box look to be pretty varied and sound delicious, so we'll see how it goes!
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I’m not doing Hello Fresh, but I’m doing Blue Apron. I love love love it! All the meals are pretty high in calories though, so I tend to add a bunch of veggies and then divide it into 3 portions instead of 2.
  • jwilk241
    jwilk241 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've ordered a total of 3 boxes so far and it's been a mixed bag. The first one was great but the next two weren't as good. The recipes are great but the second box had rotten lettuce and the third box had rotten potatoes, the steak was not edible (was impossible to chew), and the chicken pouch had a hole and we didn't feel comfortable eating it. They only offered a credit towards future boxes even after I expressed that I wanted a refund since it was the second time I've had issues and they refused. So I cancelled my subscription. You can pull the recipes from their website though so I'll still do that but I won't order again.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    We havent been disappointed with a single meal. But we are both on calorie restrictions so Ive paused it- but will be back! My dinners need to be light- hubby can eat whatever(brat) so its not the best choice for right now.

It was nice to eat out of the box <pun intended> without having to think or shop out of the box-so its great for trying new things.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have done it off and on for 9 months. Sometimes I don't want to have to think or am interested in trying what they are doing one week.

Any time that I've had problems with rotten produce or meat packaging leaking I have contacted them and they have given me a free box to use. ($50 credit). I also sometimes will just look at the website for recipe ideas and make them myself instead of ordering a box.... so that's also an option if it helps save you money.
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    First box was okay. Very convenient. Mostly nice food, except some of the leafy greens were a bit wilted and one capsicum was yuck.

Second $135 box they delivered had raw chicken spilled all through it from split packaging. All the food was potentially contaminated.

I rang them.
    They offered a $40 credit off my next box.

I let them know I didn’t think this was satisfactory to make up for the ruined food, financial expense ($134) and inconvenience.

The said they were ‘already over compensating me’.

I cancelled my deliveries.

ha! were they serious? yeah, i'd have cancelled too. i have a box coming. my cousin gifted me a coupon for a free box. the choices were limited but hey , its something new to try . doubt i'll keep using it
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    We just cancelled. Two orders with open meat packaging was too much.