Suck at Hydration...

Options
chadshaf
chadshaf Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey All! I am super bad at drinking enough water in the day. It’s blan, I’m busy and forget, I hate daily routines and like flexibility, the excuses can go on and on.... I don’t like making excuses for things so hence this post! Do you have any tips on staying hydrated more throughout the day? What’s your rule of thumb for amounts daily? I appreciate any of your insight! Thanks!!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is for hydration, personally in winter my fluids come more from tea and coffee. The amount of water you drink or don't drink doens't affect/impact weight loss.
  • FlowerPower8579
    FlowerPower8579 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have a bottle to hand - I keep mine with me (when I remember to fill it up in the morning) and I just have that throughout the day. It is hard to stay hydrated, but it helps with keeping my skin clear, and personally I feel less groggy if I’m getting enough water. Best of luck to you!
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't like "plain" water. I drink the the fizzy, flavored ones. They are 0 calories, etc. I have a certain insulated cup I fill up with crushed ice (it last all day till I get home) and I drink my water from it. I take it with me everywhere. I kind of make drinking water quite an ordeal, but it is the only way can do it. I don't like drinking it out of a bottle I also do coffee in the morning. When I go out to eat I do have unsweetened ice tea.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Two things help me: 1) a straw. I drink so much way more when I use a straw. (I have no idea why lol) 2) I make myself drink a cup of water before every meal. If you get in that habit, it helps.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I drink water or unsweetened tea with my meals and whenever I am thirsty. Pretty natural to drink whenever I am eating.
    Probably 8-12 oz at a time. Probably 5-6 times a day.
    My pee is very light colored with that amount so it seems fine to me.

If you are not thirsty and your pee is very light in color don't stress about drinking more.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Here are some tasty options to increase hydration:

- Tea and coffee (hot or chilled)
    - Fruit-infused water
    - Flavored water (Mio, Crystal Light, etc.)
    - Sparkling flavored water
    - Pop (regular or diet)
    - Fruit juices
    - Water-rich fruit and veggies (watermelon, cantaloupe, grapefruit, cucumber, celery)
    - Smoothies
    - Soup and broth

The obvious question is: do you want to spend calories on hydration? If not, stick to unsweetened options.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My trick is to have a giant water bottle that I don't have to fill up often. If I have to get up to refill after 16 oz, Im unlikely to drink as much as I need to. So I have a 40 oz bottle I fill up three times a day (I work out ALOT and need the hydration). This is on top of fruit/veggies/tea/coffee.

I also won't drink plain water, so I add 0 cal flavoring. Works for me.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Also a reluctant drinker. For me, these have helped:

1) Lots of herbal tea (also helps keep me warm in a chilly office)

2) New water bottle that contains an inner chamber for infusing water with fruits, vegetables, and herbs. I've been doing a lot of lemon, lime, cut herbs, and plan to do other fruits in summer.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was pretty bad about this until recently, to the point of getting headaches from dehydration. I got a bunch of crystal light packets and diet snapple packets to add to my water and I use a 20 oz bottle instead of the recommended 16 oz one. I’m drinking about three times as much water now. It hasn’t made any difference in my weight loss, but the dark circles under my eyes seem to be improving.
  • chadshaf
    chadshaf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I got some great tip that I’ll definitely use. I personally feel there is a slight exaggeration on how much water we really need to drink. I believe it’s based on your body’s individual need. I have always been the type of person that drank very little (except alcohol at parties...
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Odd how everyone is different. I don't like flavored water, no LaCroix garbage, no squirt in flavorings, no soda. Just plain old delicious water! I love it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Kandisn29 wrote: »
    Two things help me: 1) a straw. I drink so much way more when I use a straw. (I have no idea why lol) 2) .

Yes, use a straw OP - then you will literally suck at hydration. :D:D:D

Sorry, silly play on words amuse me. :o