New to Maintaining and Need Your Wisdom

Options
My weight loss journey started in October of 2015 after I had heart failure and spent 10 days in the hospital. It was my rock bottom and it finally got me to be serious about my health. I have had a goal weight of 185 lbs. since then. I lost about 260 pounds and got to my lowest weight (194) in November 2017. I was so excited that I was nearly at my goal!

But then, it all went bad. The majority of my 260 weight loss was done through diet alone. I had only started vigorous exercise a few months prior to my low point. I made a big mistake by not eating back those exercise calories. This lead to all sorts of issues. I became very moody and the slightest thing could set me off. I was losing my hair, more than normal. I had zero sex drive. I was also always feeling weak. At first I didn't realize I was under-eating and thought it had to do with my other health issues.

All of this lead me to multiple bad binges and I gained back about 25 pounds. I was feeling disheartened but knew what I had to do. Onward to my 185 goal, I could do it! But this time I would make sure to eat those exercise calories and I would be more patient with the scale.

Well, I just got a DEXA scan and I was shocked at the results. My current weight is 214.2 and my BF% is 11.4. My lean mass is 182.4 lbs - obviously my goal weight of 185 was way off! So, it seems I am at my goal and didn't even realize it! So yay! :smiley:

Now I need to learn how to maintain. In addition to the DEXA scan I had an RMR scan which came back at 2,117 calories (Katch-McArdle formula puts my TDEE at 2,675). I am currently at 1,750 (without the exercise calories). I will be increasing the calories over the next week or so until I get to maintenance.

I am hoping I can hear from the wonderful MFP community members who have gone from weight loss to maintenance. What do you feel was important in making the switch? Did you have any issues along the way? Is there any wisdom you can share?

Thanks!

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I do have to ask, did gaining some weight back help your issues?

Yes, for sure. I think it was that and the fact that I was eating back those exercise calories (I usually walk about 30 miles a week). I still feel weak on some days but I think it’s because I am still at a calorie deficit (and purposely underestimating my exercise calories).

Thanks for the comments, adding you now!
  • Kalex1975
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I offer only this meager advice: keep logging your food. Weight maintenance requires just as much discipline as weight loss, but at least you get to eat what you need.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Luckily my obsessive personality will help in that regard :smile:

Another skill I need to learn is how to log foods from restaurants that don’t have nutritional info. I’ve read all the advice about finding something similar in the database but that obsessive personality of mine does not like that! I live in an area with amazing family-run restaurants and only a handful of major chains... I think now that I am going into maintaining I’ll be more comfortable in exploring them.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Your obsessive side sounds similar to mine and it is a beast you are going to have to learn to deal with. I have best learned to deal with mine by simply not logging food when I eat out and just rest easy in the fact that the one day is nothing compared to the big picture and I more than likely won't even see it on the scale.

I've had to learn to relax on my logging. I still weigh out and log everything and try to hit pretty close to my calorie mark but some days I'm a bit over and some I'm a bit under and I have to look at my log at a week's perspective.

For example I know that my Wednesday/Saturday will be under because I long run but my Friday/Sunday will be over because I have a commute to/from work. Overall things come out in the wash though since I've been the same weight for 3 years now.

Relax and have fun. You know how to lose weight if the scale creeps up on you so don't worry there. Just track and go forward and get used to those extra calories.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    I offer only this meager advice: keep logging your food. Weight maintenance requires just as much discipline as weight loss, but at least you get to eat what you need.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Luckily my obsessive personality will help in that regard :smile:

Another skill I need to learn is how to log foods from restaurants that don’t have nutritional info. I’ve read all the advice about finding something similar in the database but that obsessive personality of mine does not like that! I live in an area with amazing family-run restaurants and only a handful of major chains... I think now that I am going into maintaining I’ll be more comfortable in exploring them.

If it helps you feel better, I've been logging and losing weight for over a year now while eating out 1-3 times a week at family-run restaurants. I always just log an equivalent meal from a major chain and it's all come out in the wash over time.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I join the others in congratulating you on amazing accomplishments.

I've been in maintenance for approx 3+ years.

For me the largest "switch" was more psychological by getting out of the losing mindset and into maintenance.

Ultimately I added about 100 calories back every few weeks to find my desired maintenance calories. Once I found that, was good to go. Eventually stopped logging calories after a few months as things seemed to work out. Haven't looked back.

My time spent logging and seeing the ups/downs associated with intake and output taught me enough where I felt confident to go at it without a net (logging). Worked so far.

Good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Maintenance, which I am not very good at, requires that you only increase your calories slightly. The two best tools in my opinion are a logging scale and the mirror. If I could give up love for craft beers and wine this could be so easy.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I have been successfully maintaining for a few years.

I guess the best advice I can give is for you to remember that your maintenance weight is a range, not a specific number. A lot of factors can make your weight fluctuate from day to day, mostly due to the many causes of water retention. Figure out what your acceptable range is going to be and don't react unless you go significantly above or below that range.

I am a petite woman and my maintenance range is about 5 pounds (124-129). As a larger man, your range may be more than that. So, just don't stress over every pound if you weigh yourself frequently.
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    May I add my congratulations! I would suggest adding weight training to your life if you're not already doing it. Logging meals and exercise is so necessary. I eat back every calorie that I exercise. And I skip the logging on vacation since it's so inexact and such a pain on vacation. Logging is the key for me.
  • Kalex1975
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your advice.