Tried being vegan & failed!

Options

Replies

• kmariev213
    kmariev213 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @dannosaur I’ve been on the verge of just reaching into my fridge and eating my veggies raw (After I wash them of course) to curb hunger pains. I’m always hungry now!
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @Knoxvilla5 Amazing suggestion. I had not thought of preparing smoothies for the week. Would they go bad after a certain amount of days? Since I like to mix greens and berries... should I place these in the freezer? And I know right @h1udd has given me some great information and suggestions. But everyone else has definitely put in their perspective! Interesting to see people here that are not vegan!!
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @madarahr see the way my bank account is looking... lol just kidding but I truly wonder how much a nutritionist would be? And if they would be willing to take insurance! I would definitely need to research this! Thank you for your input!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any legumes (for protein and calorie-density) or starchy veggies (for calorie-density), or just mostly fruits and non-starchy veggies? How about fats? If you cut out fat from meat, dairy, and eggs (mostly, I think you said you still eat eggs occasionally), without adding plant-based oils or fat-rich plants like avocado, olives, seeds, and nuts, you're likely not getting enough fat for a host of bodily processes (including hormone functions, processing fat-soluble vitamins, neurological processes, etc.). Plus, fats help bring your calorie-intake up without having to increase the volume and mass of food you're consuming.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont Yes i do eat legumes but not much and not on a daily basis! Although this is making much sense to me now that you put it the way that you did! Another person suggested this as well. I will try to increase my intake of this. Do you know the daily recommendation? A cup or more ? As for healthy fats... I did not realize how important of a role it plays in our bodies. Thank you for this love !!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    dannosaur wrote: »
    I'm not vegan, but if you don't mind my asking, but what and how much you were eating? What would a full day of eating look like? I think a common mistake with new vegans is not realizing just how much they would need to eat to function and maintain their weight. X calories on a vegan diet should look very different to that of a non-vegan diet.

Interesting perspective. I always thought a calorie was a calorie is a calorie no matter the source... lol

it is but think of what 500 calories of vegetables looks like compared to 500 calories of pork chop. Vegan diet is a very bulky diet lol. Theres a reason the bulk eaters eat alot of fruit/veg

I think this is one of the problems with just jumping in head first into a vegan diet. Your nutritional needs don't change just because you're vegan. You need more than just veg and fruit...a lot of people that just jump in head first simply don't have the nutritional knowledge to do vegan properly and healthfully and it's an overload of low calorie veg and fruit and they don't get enough protein or fat.

I'm not vegan, but as someone who does place a big emphasis on plants, I do eat quite a few vegan meals...it's more than just some vegetables or fruit. I make a lot of vegan Indian curries with lentils as well as some vegan Thai curries...they are typically as many, if not more calories than if I ate some chicken, veg, and rice because those dishes are full of good oils and in the case of my Thai curries, plenty of coconut milk.

I have a couple of vegan friends who are also athletes...they cook with fat and eat lots of lentils, legumes, make seitan, eat plenty of nuts and nut butters, avocados, etc. They need the calories as well as the protein and fat for good health and to maintain their training load.
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kmariev213 wrote: »
    @Knoxvilla5 Amazing suggestion. I had not thought of preparing smoothies for the week. Would they go bad after a certain amount of days? Since I like to mix greens and berries... should I place these in the freezer?

@kmariev213 Yes--they definitely don't stand the test of time! I freeze mine same-day and take them out the night before use. Making sure you have a frothy consistency is key, because that aeration helps it defrost much easier. If it were solid juice you'd have an icecube. Speaking of which--you can also make smoothie ice-cubes and toss them in the blender if you wanted. I have yet to try that, but it's another option to consider.

Also: I also tried going vegan and failed, but I'm being as vegan as I can until I can go full throttle.

I wish you the best!
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @kmariev213 I'm not sure if anyone has said it yet, but naturally you've got to get your macros right, too. That always goes without saying.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    dannosaur wrote: »
    I'm not vegan, but if you don't mind my asking, but what and how much you were eating? What would a full day of eating look like? I think a common mistake with new vegans is not realizing just how much they would need to eat to function and maintain their weight. X calories on a vegan diet should look very different to that of a non-vegan diet.

Interesting perspective. I always thought a calorie was a calorie is a calorie no matter the source... lol

it is but think of what 500 calories of vegetables looks like compared to 500 calories of pork chop. Vegan diet is a very bulky diet lol. Theres a reason the bulk eaters eat alot of fruit/veg

Not necessarily. Plant protein/fat are pretty dense. Nuts, Avocado, etc.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    -nevermind-
  • dannosaur
    dannosaur Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @kmariev213 Also freeze ripe bananas, they add bulk and thickness to a smoothie and much-needed calories. You can also freeze avocados and add those!
  • dannosaur
    dannosaur Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @kmariev213 Also in terms of legumes, 1 cup of beans is about 250 calories, serve that over some rice and veggies and/or some sort of fat like avocado and you've got a 500 plus calorie meal right there! Sometimes I like to slow cook or bake a few cans of whatever beans I have on hand, tossed in a sauce, you can find recipes for vegan sauces.

Which brings me to my next point, I would also look into vegan prep meals, so you know that you have something hearty for a good few days. I often like to make chili (non-vegan), but it yields 8, 2 cup portions at 398 cals each! You can load up a vegan chili with tons of veggies, maybe 3 cans of beans, sweet potatoes, tofu, quinoa and even eat that over rice or with toast or avocado. I saw a vegetarian chili on the Domestic Geek that looked yummy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you what you need. This is the first animal you must take care of so that you can care for many more.

First of all, the weight loss, being hungry all the time and the irresistible runs to the fast food joint tell me you aren’t eating nearly enough. Please carry energy bars with you at all times when you are tempted.

Second of all, your running performance is telling you that you aren’t getting enough protein, iron, and B12. You need more than the daily RDA to top yourself up. I suggest supplements and MFP tracking.

Make a list of fat and protein sources that don’t make your stomach hurt and eat them daily.

Might you consider a daily free range egg?
  • gessmer
    gessmer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 5 years and recently started eating meat again last November. to me it wasn't worth it, I lost a lot of weight when I cut meat off, but it mostly muscle mass and not actual fat. in order for you to eat enough, you really need to find good sources of protein and fire etc. not just veggies. especially if your looking to gain weight.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @janejellyroll you hit the nail on the head. Thanks to everyone’s reply on this post I have definitely realized I need to incorporate more fats and different types of legumes and lentils. I just screen shot your message! It was extremely helpful and informative! THANK YOU!
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @cwolfman13 That is very interesting that you are able to balance yourself and try other dishes! I am part Thai , Italian, and Puerto Rican. I was raised by my grandmother who has a ton of vegan dishes that I love to eat. The transition to veganism isn’t that hard in terms of trying and eating food. It’s definitely learning to make more foods and incorporate the right foods in my diet. But you just made a great point that turned a light bulb in my head! My grandmother uses tons of ingredients that are filling, healthy, and have a balance of all the nutrients I need in one meal. I think it’s time to visit grandma
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kmariev213 wrote: »
    @janejellyroll you hit the nail on the head. Thanks to everyone’s reply on this post I have definitely realized I need to incorporate more fats and different types of legumes and lentils. I just screen shot your message! It was extremely helpful and informative! THANK YOU!

If you're interested, I've found "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina to be the best book for understanding vegan nutrition. It provides a great overview of special areas of focus for vegan nutrition and even has different sample menu plans for different lifestyles.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @dannosaur You are on fire!! All this information you have given me truly is helpful and I appreciate it! I definitely screenshot your message as well! I will definitely look up how to successfully meal prep as I am terrible at it!
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @jgnatca I see what you are saying! It’s not just about reaching my calorie intake.. it’s about giving what my body needs!!! I really like the idea of energy bars! Why did I not think of this? I appreciate your honesty.