Whey vs Vegan Protein Powder

Options
Froggyh
Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
I tried Vega protein powder a while ago and it just didn't agree with me. Since then I've been avoiding protein powder, but it's nearly smoothie season again so I'm considering trying another brand. I'm wondering if maybe whey protein is a better option. Anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have tried whey and a vegan brand and the vegan one was harder for my stomach to digest so I stick with a whey brand that is lactose free (I am lactose intolerant) and it is much easier on my stomach. Unless you are avoiding animal products for ethical reasons then whey protein is just fine, I like the taste better too, it gets smoother when blended and less gritty. I also for smoothies will use Kefir (which is lactose free as well). It is like a drinkable yogurt and has a good amount of protein, it is also super creamy in smoothies. I will but the plain kind and blend it with spinach and berries.
  • Froggyh
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm a pescetarian, and I eat plenty of dairy already, so I was mostly going for vegan protein for a bit more variety, but if whey is easier on the stomach then it's definitely worth a shot :smile:

Interesting that it's smoother, too; I didn't have a huge problem with the Vega stuff, but there was definitely *some* powdery texture in my smoothies.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    They come in such large containers that it's hard to try without committing yourself. I'm using a Trader Joe pea protein powder right now. Would you like to try a baggie before you commit? I could send you some.

I pretty much use whatever comes my way, that's a good price. Sometimes I buy on Amazon, sometimes at a discount store.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Froggyh wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! I'm a pescetarian, and I eat plenty of dairy already, so I was mostly going for vegan protein for a bit more variety, but if whey is easier on the stomach then it's definitely worth a shot :smile:

Interesting that it's smoother, too; I didn't have a huge problem with the Vega stuff, but there was definitely *some* powdery texture in my smoothies.

Yeah the Vegan protein powder messed with my stomach and made me super bloated and gassy.
    It may just have been the brand of vegan protein powder I was buying that was grittier (It was the GNC Vegan total lean brand I think), I have heard Vega blends pretty well so you might not notice whey being so much smoother like I did.
  • Froggyh
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, @MostlyWater , but I'm in Canada :disappointed: We don't have Trader Joe's round here and the shipping would be pretty high anyway! That's a good point about it coming in big containers, though; I'll maybe see if anyone at the dojo is willing to share (or take a full container if I buy some and don't like it).

@Fitnessgirl0913 Yeah, that's exactly what the Vega did with me. I felt gross for a few weeks and couldn't pin down the cause until I read a comment about how protein powder doesn't agree with some people's digestion. Stopped using it and felt instantly better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can usually find single servings to try them. Neither upset my stomach (I use pea protein now), but the whey usually mixes in easier and you need a little less for the same amount of protein, usually.
  • Froggyh
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can usually find single servings to try them. Neither upset my stomach (I use pea protein now), but the whey usually mixes in easier and you need a little less for the same amount of protein, usually.

Thanks, I'll have a look for samples ^_^
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lyfe Essentials is a great vegan protein powder (I prefer chocolate mixed with 1.5-2 cups unsweetened almond milk, plus one banana and ice). And Garden of Life has a ton of great vegan protein powders. My favorite of theirs is the coffee and I blend with the same as I wrote above (unsweetened almond milk, banana, and ice). I bought another brand at GNC but I can’t remember off hand what it was called but it was pretty decent as well.

I recommend looking at reviews for protein powders on Amazon.