Best/most accurate weight maintenance calculator

Options
I seem to get a discrepancy of up to 200-300 calories a day depending on the site. Anyone know of one that they believe is particularly accurate? Also, it would help if it allowed for fractions of pounds and inches to be used--especially if you are short--a half of an inch can make a difference.

Replies

• GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    well, I have been off the site for a while so I have little data.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only way to actually know for certain is to run the experiment.

Most people make 200 calories a day errors anyway.

Pick one and stick to it and log food as accurately as possible. In a couple months you'll have a good idea what your numbers are. The calculators all start with a general ballpark based on a swath of people who aren't you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    This is how I suggest figuring it out (but am too lazy to re-type ;) ):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Best/most accurate weight maintenance calculator" - your own results over an extended period of time.

There really isn't a need to get it precisely right first time.
    Even if a calculation happened to give you the perfect number your logging inaccuracies could affect the end result.

Do remember to understand the differences between MyFitnessPal and TDEE calculators (estimators really) as regards accounting for exercise. There are also a number of different TDEE formulas commonly in use which might account for some of the differences you are seeing.

Would suggest avoiding making maintenance a straight jacket of trying to hit one precise number, life and bodies aren't like that and it will make maintenance very stressful for no good reason.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can go by your own data, that's the best guide.

Edited to add: oops just seeing your later comment now!! doh!!

Then you WILL get some data of your own in the coming weeks and you can see from those.