Types of Fish

Options
What types of fish are good to eat besides Salmon? I used to eat Tilipia but I heard it was bad for you. Is it true?

Replies

• ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The only fish I eat is tuna. I love to have a good tuna steak.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Haddock and Cod are good too - Salmon and these two are the main fish I buy. (Also have canned tuna - strangely enough I have never had fresh tuna, yet lol)
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    catfish, flounder, halibut, shrimp, sardines, smelt
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Haddock and Cod are good too - Salmon and these two are the main fish I buy. (Also have canned tuna - strangely enough I have never had fresh tuna, yet lol)

No ahi? No sushi, spicy tuna roll?! You are missing out my friend.

• ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Mslmesq wrote: »

No ahi? No sushi, spicy tuna roll?! You are missing out my friend.

Thanks, I will have to give them a try :)
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Cod, catfish, halibut, walleye, trout, etc. are what I eat regularly.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Flake (shark, I believe)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Haddock, Sea Bass, Mackerel, Bassa, Plaice, Trout, Cod

These are sold in my local supermarket and I eat them from time to time.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Marlin, Kingfish, Billfish, Shark, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, just to name a few more.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fish is good... personally I prefer monkfish/ cod/ haddock/ prawns.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don’t know if Tilapia is bad for you but it tastes like dirt to me, so yea, bad!

^QFT. Tilapia wins the "most disgusting fish" award IMO. Yuck.

Agreed, I love most fish, but won't eat it. I've heard it's fish for people who dislike fish, since apparently it's considered super mild tasting, I don't know, I've always found it just unappealing.

I'm with you on sashimi, and I'll add raw oysters, and for cooked my favorites are clams, shrimp, salmon, trout, halibut, cod, tuna steak (but not canned tuna), mackerel, and really too many more to mention. Also an anchovy fan. I had a bad experience with catfish that turned me off it, but I suppose I'd revisit if someone I trusted prepared it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don’t know if Tilapia is bad for you but it tastes like dirt to me, so yea, bad!

^QFT. Tilapia wins the "most disgusting fish" award IMO. Yuck.

Agreed, I love most fish, but won't eat it. I've heard it's fish for people who dislike fish, since apparently it's considered super mild tasting, I don't know, I've always found it just unappealing.

I'm with you on sashimi, and I'll add raw oysters, and for cooked my favorites are clams, shrimp, salmon, trout, halibut, cod, tuna steak (but not canned tuna), mackerel, and really too many more to mention. Also an anchovy fan. I had a bad experience with catfish that turned me off it, but I suppose I'd revisit if someone I trusted prepared it.

I don’t like catfish either but I had an appetizer called Salt and Pepper Catfish from Vietnamese restaurant. No bones, deep fried, nicely seasoned, it was delicious!

• mjy7478
    mjy7478 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Grouper is a delicious fish baked or broiled. My favorite is stuffed grouper from Lucky's
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OP, eat all the fish if you like it.

I think Marlin has the highest concentration of mercury so only eat Marlin once a week.

I am a very fussy seafood eater and I think Tilapia is disgusting. The one time I prepared it, it was tough and stringy. Fish! Never again.

I like Haddock and Cod as mild tasting fish, I drizzle with lemon juice and spices and bake it in parchment just until it flakes.