"...and was under her calorie goal" irks me. You too?

Options

Replies

• GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I like the range idea! There are plenty of days I'm still hungry but have already reached my goal, or are still 200-300 cals under but feel totally stuffed. I just hope that it all evens out at the end of the week! I also try not to comment on people's food diaries - and especialy if they are private. The only time I'll comment is if someone asks for an opinion or I see a particularly yummy low-cal meal that I'm jealous of!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    "If every day were like today..." bugs me only because I've been doing it for 3 weeks now, and I haven't lost any weight yet, though it says I'll weigh less after every day I complete my diary. It's frustrating... I have lost 7" though, so I'm VERY happy with that. But I would like to start losing lbs too! :-)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My daily cal is 1420 (2 lbs a week)...this morning I woke up and cleaned house for 2 straight hours...this included push mowing our acre yard (logged as light house keeping), then I came in and did JM 30 day shred and then to cool down I walked for 35 minutes...Once I came home I had carrots with ranch dressing (walmart pack great and only 50 calories...Perfect portion)

Figuring in my exercise I now have 2433 calories to eat! That doesn't include anything else I do the rest of the day! I hardly think I am going to eat an additional 2433 calories today! The guilt of that would kill me! I will do about 1400 and call it a day.

My goal is set at 2 lbs a week and in the 10 days I have been logging I have lost 2.2 pounds.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    "If every day were like today..." bugs me only because I've been doing it for 3 weeks now, and I haven't lost any weight yet, though it says I'll weigh less after every day I complete my diary. It's frustrating... I have lost 7" though, so I'm VERY happy with that. But I would like to start losing lbs too! :-)

I have lost 2.2 lbs but I like that if everyday thingy...I know its not a promise but it gives me an idea of what could happen if I stay focused. The numbers will happen...I only weigh myself once a week and then hide the scale under the bed until the next one

Congrats on 7 inches! That is great!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Now what irks me is the WTGs & awesome comments on peoples workouts that burn less than 500 calories. Things like walking the dog, cleaning the house, washing the car and even more so when I see its a younger person.

Umm... I do Insanity and lift heavy weights. I have NEVER burned 500 calories in a single session; usually more in the range of 200-350. You're telling me I shouldn't get "WTGs" from my friends for doing intense cardio (HR at 70-80% of max) and lifting heavy weights just because I don't burn X number of calories? Excuse me?

Shopping burns calories, so does doing the dishes and vacuuming. If your settings are at sedentary those ARE extra activities. Just because you were doing something and gained weight, doesn't mean those calories burned don't count.

To the OP - I agree it's irksome. I'd love to see the positive affirmation for being with a certain range of your daily goal too.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    No I know what you mean. I hate when it doesn't say I was under my goal. I get used to seeing it and it's kind of lame that it brings me a little down to not see it.

Then get under your goal.

I have no problem with it.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You could just delete the post at the end of the day and create your own to say exactly what you want it to.

Yeah, but then I'd actually have to DO something! :sad:
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    Options
    You could just delete the post at the end of the day and create your own to say exactly what you want it to.

Yeah, but then I'd actually have to DO something! :sad:

Sometimes you gotta pick your poison.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Well, in that case, I'd like some black raspberry dessert wine, please! :happy:
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    Options

Well, in that case, I'd like some black raspberry dessert wine, please! :happy:

LOL! :laugh:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Maybe a few of ya can log ranting over this as a few calories burned :angry:
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Now what irks me is the WTGs & awesome comments on peoples workouts that burn less than 500 calories. Things like walking the dog, cleaning the house, washing the car and even more so when I see its a younger person.
    Some of us have jobs, families, friends and lives to live...
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Umm... I do Insanity and lift heavy weights. I have NEVER burned 500 calories in a single session; usually more in the range of 200-350. You're telling me I shouldn't get "WTGs" from my friends for doing intense cardio (HR at 70-80% of max) and lifting heavy weights just because I don't burn X number of calories? Excuse me?

Shopping burns calories, so does doing the dishes and vacuuming. If your settings are at sedentary those ARE extra activities. Just because you were doing something and gained weight, doesn't mean those calories burned don't count.

To the OP - I agree it's irksome. I'd love to see the positive affirmation for being with a certain range of your daily goal too.

Love this - totally agree.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What I almost find more obnoxious is when it tells you "If everyday were like today you would weigh x in 5 weeks".

Really? I ate a whole P'zone and a coke for dinner... yet that number looks pretty good because I was just under my calories. Seriously, so I should eat that everyday?

I think it's just for positive re-enforcement, but I too entirely get where you're coming from!

Love this, you are sooo right, I dont need to know that the crap I ate today I could eat everyday and still weigh this in 5 weeks.. LOL
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    "under your goal" typically means that you didn't make your goal. i don't view it as glorifying undereating - it is quite the opposite: you DID NOT make your goal. you failed. if you were under your goal for production at work, that's a failure. under your goal for the amount of weight you lift at the gym: failure. under your calorie goal: failure...

sorry to use such a harsh word like "failure" - i'm just trying to emphasize the point that it isn't a good thing to be under your goal...

OK, so if I have 1,200 calories a day as my goal, I burn 700 and eat 1,500, I'm "under my goal," but it's not like I'm starving myself. I'm not going to force food down my throat to meet a calorie goal when 1,500 is a perfectly fine amount of food. Good grief!

Besides, when I first started this and WAS meeting my calorie goals every day, I was GAINING.

i don't disagree with what you are saying. i have been averaging about 1,100 calories UNDER my goal every day (mfp says my goal is over 4,500 cals/day - i am trying to gain 10 lbs...), but i have been maintaining my current weight of about 165 lbs. so it is pretty accurate in my case. all i was trying to say in the above post was that MFPs "you were under your calorie goal today" prompt is not saying "great job! starving yourself is what fitness is all about!" all MFP is doing is taking an average and trying to help people meet their long term goals. it seems fairly accurate in my application - if i want to gain 10lbs, i really do need to eat 4,500 calories a day instead of the 3,400 i am eating currently... i'm a failure :(

I disagree. You say someone is a failure because they did not meet "their" goal. The fact is it may not be that persons goal. The "goal" shown is MFP's goal for that person, for that day only. Each of us individually need to be able to set our own goals as MFP is a guide to use, not a absolute. In my case, I burned 2127 calories on this past Sunday. That added with MFP goal for me called for me to eat almost 4000 calories that day. Anything less in your eyes would be considered a failure, since I did not reach "the goal". It does not take into account that the day before, I may have went over on calories and tomorrow I plan on being under as I will be travelling on a business trip. My goal for myself is to lose 2 pounds a week which calls for a calorie deficit of 7000 each week. I have achieved this consistently for the past 4 months following my formula. Some days I go over and some days I am under, but my average is consistent. Someone looking at "...and was under his calorie goal for today..." may be irked, but that is their problem. Each of us have to walk in our own shoes. I only wear a size 10 so it is hard to fit another foot in here, and with my Athletes feet problem, you should not want to.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    "under your goal" typically means that you didn't make your goal. i don't view it as glorifying undereating - it is quite the opposite: you DID NOT make your goal. you failed. if you were under your goal for production at work, that's a failure. under your goal for the amount of weight you lift at the gym: failure. under your calorie goal: failure...

sorry to use such a harsh word like "failure" - i'm just trying to emphasize the point that it isn't a good thing to be under your goal...

OK, so if I have 1,200 calories a day as my goal, I burn 700 and eat 1,500, I'm "under my goal," but it's not like I'm starving myself. I'm not going to force food down my throat to meet a calorie goal when 1,500 is a perfectly fine amount of food. Good grief!

Besides, when I first started this and WAS meeting my calorie goals every day, I was GAINING.

i don't disagree with what you are saying. i have been averaging about 1,100 calories UNDER my goal every day (mfp says my goal is over 4,500 cals/day - i am trying to gain 10 lbs...), but i have been maintaining my current weight of about 165 lbs. so it is pretty accurate in my case. all i was trying to say in the above post was that MFPs "you were under your calorie goal today" prompt is not saying "great job! starving yourself is what fitness is all about!" all MFP is doing is taking an average and trying to help people meet their long term goals. it seems fairly accurate in my application - if i want to gain 10lbs, i really do need to eat 4,500 calories a day instead of the 3,400 i am eating currently... i'm a failure :(

I disagree. You say someone is a failure because they did not meet "their" goal. The fact is it may not be that persons goal. The "goal" shown is MFP's goal for that person, for that day only. Each of us individually need to be able to set our own goals as MFP is a guide to use, not a absolute. In my case, I burned 2127 calories on this past Sunday. That added with MFP goal for me called for me to eat almost 4000 calories that day. Anything less in your eyes would be considered a failure, since I did not reach "the goal". It does not take into account that the day before, I may have went over on calories and tomorrow I plan on being under as I will be travelling on a business trip. My goal for myself is to lose 2 pounds a week which calls for a calorie deficit of 7000 each week. I have achieved this consistently for the past 4 months following my formula. Some days I go over and some days I am under, but my average is consistent. Someone looking at "...and was under his calorie goal for today..." may be irked, but that is their problem. Each of us have to walk in our own shoes. I only wear a size 10 so it is hard to fit another foot in here, and with my Athletes feet problem, you should not want to.

i specifically said in my original post that the word failure was harsh...

you say "it may not be that persons goal" but in reality it is that persons goal... a person's MFP calorie goal is a guideline to get where they want their weight to be based on the info that they put into MFP. if the goal is wrong, then the original weight loss/gain goal that the person put on the site are the real reason to blame.
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I exercise most days, and since I don't have a HRM my exercise calories are just a guestimate. I usually try to stay under my total goal to be on the safe side, but always eat at least the 1200 so that I'm not under nourished. So I'm usually in that "under calorie goal" club.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't really care what anyone thinks about whether or not I am under my calorie goal. I am losing weight and toning up and I'm happy with myself. It doesn't mean anything to me if it bothers someone else because I am under my calorie goal. I'm sure MY FITNESS PALS don't really get irked when I am under my calorie goal either - just sayin'. We are here for support - not to put someone down because they are under their goal - sheesh
  • fudie
    fudie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Other people's comments concerning a diary of someone else doesn't really bother me a bit! I get my personal kudos from wearing smaller fitting pants and attaining greater physical ability due to the exercise I invest my time and effort in. Whether someone else vacumns or cleans house or runs 15 miles and what they record, is none of my concern. I have friends that publish cleaning house and I don't discount it. I clean house too but I don't record it unless I was MOPPING or scrubbing windows or baseboards or some other out of the norm, excessive cleaning that I don't typically do every day. Not all house cleaning is wiping off the counter with a damp rag. I will also mention that I log that I walk my dog cause even though it only takes 30 minutes to do it, I burn a lot of calories cause I use the curb for aerobics every time the dog stops to sniff and we are hauling it when we walk. Just cause she stops, doesn't mean I do! I wear a HRM monitor and I know what I expend calorie wise.

As for the WTG's, I do not comment on people finishing their food diary for the day unless they publish it. If I can see it and I agree, I comment Good job or WTG if it calls for it. If they didn't drink enough water, I encourge them to do better tomorrow. If they ate two candy bars for lunch I comment on that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I tend to my own business unless invited to do otherwise (by a published food diary) and what other people do, well.....it just doesn't concern me. What doesn't affect my growth and success in this journey is of no importance to me. Life's too short to be so easily irritated, you know?

And I too am not addressing my comments to anyone in particular. Just giving my humble opinion.

i AGREE!!!!
  • fudie
    fudie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't really care what anyone thinks about whether or not I am under my calorie goal. I am losing weight and toning up and I'm happy with myself. It doesn't mean anything to me if it bothers someone else because I am under my calorie goal. I'm sure MY FITNESS PALS don't really get irked when I am under my calorie goal either - just sayin'. We are here for support - not to put someone down because they are under their goal - sheesh

AMEN!!! i think the real point of this whole site is to encourage eachother and motivate eachother!!!! if you dont want people to say way to go, then dont post it, i try my hardest to eat healthy and stray around my cal. amount but not go over. its like a budget to me. i have this much but cant go over. but its how you look at it. we are all different and all here for different reasons. instead of being "irked" because people log things or dont, or say WTG when you dont like it, WHO CARES! be happy because they are on here trying to better themselves.