Safety while running

Options
I'm about to be a college freshman (from a small town) in a very large city and am wondering what safety precautions to take while I'm out running, thanks!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Go during the day, stay in a populated place where it's public, bring ID (roadID.com is great - $20 for a bracelet with any allergies, contact info, your name, etc. on it - or just carry your DL with you), annnd stay hydrated!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    run faster if there's danger?
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Been seen, be safe. If you are running alone, try to tell someone where you are going (if you can plan your route), what time you are expecting to be back and wear clothing that can be seen by drivers.

Stick to well lit, well used routes - ALWAYS wear hi vis if running very early/late (i.e. in the dark) and if possible take your cell phone with you. Be careful if using an iPod/mp3 player especially when near traffic.

And depending on the weather, make sure you wear sun screen and stay hydrated - the same applies in winter too.

Have fun!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Don't wear your earbuds so loud you can't hear someone or something approaching you.

They have a can of mace/pepper spray that has a hand held thing on it, it should be ready to be sprayed at any time, not locked or closed. Great for aggressive dogs and people.

A cell phone in case you get injured, etc.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't run at night! and don't text and run, or you will crash in to something(I've seen people crash in their bikes or jogs because they were busy texting) Always make sure you watch cars, because although you might think they will stop, some Rude people just don't! good luck, and stay hydrated! :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be a college freshman (from a small town) in a very large city and am wondering what safety precautions to take while I'm out running, thanks!

Run naked. Everyone is scared of a crazy naked person running through the street.

actually...well, she'd get arrested. Prisons aren't really safe.

Get a running buddy. I suggest a big huge marine.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Run naked. Everyone is scared of a crazy naked person running through the street.

bahahahaha!!! :laugh: Great one!
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I was in school and running I made sure to never go alone unless it was broad daylight and a well traveled area. My girlfriend and I found a group of young men getting ready for basic and we often went to the track with them. When it was just us, we often ran on the street (they outran us by to much to stay with us on the street!) We did notice that we got a 'stitch' in our sides when we happened to by a busy road at rush hour--try to not be someplace that heavily traveled! (cars stink!) Besides safety, it was good to have an "accountablity partner" to help stay on track.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    S&W 340PD
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Listen to your spidy-senses.

If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, look for an open deli, starbucks, green grocer, pizzeria and duck in even if it disrupts your work out. Someone is less likely to follow you into a neighborhood establishment where you might be a regular. And much safer than someone following you home. If they linger outside ask someone to walk you out and with you for a while.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Be aware.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My best advice:

1) no ipod
    2) run into traffic, make sure cars see you before you cross in front of them (assume they don't until you wave and they wave back)
    3) bright colors in the day (orange, green, yellow)
    4) illuminite (highly reflective) gear at night

stay safe out there!
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Definitely leave the music at home. You want to hear traffic and anything else around you. Situational awareness.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    see if there is a running group? whether it's an organized one, or a casual one through school or something. Strength in numbers, as well as easing your way into this new city. (they will know all the great running spots!)