Can I lose weight while on birth control?!

2»

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    I think I gained about five pounds of retained water in each breast....
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    I gained some weight when I first went into the pill, but it was before I was calorie counting. Usually the weight gain is due to increased appetite/cravings and “boob growth” as earlier noted. I think I went up a cup size on birth control (D to DD, so I feel your pain!) However, I am now down 14 lbs from calorie counting, and my boobs have lost some weight too, so now I am in between cup sizes.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Also - there are LOADS are different kinds/brands of pills with different amounts of ingredients. Even pills that are “medically identical” (meaning the same active ingredients) can have different inactive ingredients that will cause different side effects. If you aren’t feeling good after 2-3 months on whatever pill it is, don’t be afraid to ask to switch to a different pill. It took me a while to find the one I’m on now.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    I have been on birth control for 17 years and lost 40 lbs. Don't worry about it.
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Im on BC pills and have been for 3 years. Ive lost weight over 30lbs and dont think it slowed me down at all. My boobs have always been big and i managed to lose some of the weight there too. They are down to a 34D from a 38DDD.
  • juleeahnah
    juleeahnah Posts: 6 Member
    Totally. I've lost almost 25 pounds while on birth control pills (Sprintec, specifically). However, I have noticed that when I stop taking the active pills during my period/withdrawal bleed, I drop around 3 pounds almost immediately. A week later, as soon as I start a new pill pack, those 3 pounds are back (minus whatever I lost that week). It's like clockwork every month. I assume this is related to some slight water retention due to the estrogen in the pills. For me, it's an acceptable side effect that I only noticed when I started weighing myself daily. Good luck!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If you stay in a deficit you won't gain weight, or get larger boobs.
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    juleeahnah wrote: »
    Totally. I've lost almost 25 pounds while on birth control pills (Sprintec, specifically). However, I have noticed that when I stop taking the active pills during my period/withdrawal bleed, I drop around 3 pounds almost immediately. A week later, as soon as I start a new pill pack, those 3 pounds are back (minus whatever I lost that week). It's like clockwork every month. I assume this is related to some slight water retention due to the estrogen in the pills. For me, it's an acceptable side effect that I only noticed when I started weighing myself daily. Good luck!

I know this post is older but I was curious about this. I have been on Seasonique for 11 years and LOVE it. I do not think that it made me gain weight. Not at all. But due to when I started my weight loss journey (right after last TOM) I have been on active pills for a little over 3 months while losing weight successfully. This week is my placebo pill week and damn if I didn't break through a plateau where I was stuck for 2 weeks. I couldn't get out of the 177.something mark for 2 weeks and 6 days in to the placebo week I weighed in this morning at 174.4. THRILLED and now wondering if when I start my new pack if some of that weight will come back on? I am on a calorie restriction (1350 a day) and working out appropriately, so I don't think that I will shoot back up to 177.something but I sure don't want to go back above 175 just because I started a new BC pack......Thoughts?