Low Carb, High Fat, High Fiber???

Options
Hey There,

Hoping some of you could weigh in on something. I have been doing great losing weight with MFP. I lost 10lbs on my own and they decided to meet with a nutrition consultant for the last 10lbs. I workout 5-6 days a week for 20-45 minutes usually doing HIIT or resistance training. She advised me to eat no more than 120 carbs a day, have between 40-60% healthy fats, and at least 29g of fiber and that I could subtract my fiber from my carbs, also to eat 1-1.5lbs of veggies a day and .5lbs of fruit.

I have found this combo nearly impossible. I eat anywhere between 2-3 cups of raw veggies with 1 tbs of a vingerette a day as a snack, veggies for dinner, fruit with breakfast and lunch. I have quinoa as a grain for breakfast and/or dinner or lunch and I am ALWAYS over on carbs even when I am eating 40g of fiber daily.

Any thoughts out there on her recommendations?

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Make sure the raw veggies you're eating are low carb (the greener the better). In terms of fruit, just stick to a handful of berries per day (berries pack a punch of micronutrients, but not many carbs), and subtract some of that quinoa with low carb alternatives such as my favorite two below:

Here are my favorite low carb breads:
    http://schmidtbaking.com/products/647-2/
    and
    https://www.josephsbakery.com/shop/mini-flax-oat-bran-whole-wheat-pita-bread.html
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have been doing great losing weight with MFP. I lost 10lbs on my own and they decided to meet with a nutrition consultant for the last 10lbs.
    I'm a bit curious why you would think you needed help.
    She advised me to eat no more than 120 carbs a day, have between 40-60% healthy fats, and at least 29g of fiber and that I could subtract my fiber from my carbs, also to eat 1-1.5lbs of veggies a day and .5lbs of fruit.
    It sounds overly complicated.

If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less. As you lose weight, weightloss slows down. Accurate logging, adherence to calorie deficit and patience becomes more important than ever. This is not a good time to add confusion and increase difficulty.
  • newshell_mom
    newshell_mom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think I just got caught up in the moment speaking casually with her and next thing you know...BOOM I'm scheduling a consultation. Super complicated....seems like it shouldn't be. She also told me to quit eating bananas, and to quit eating peanut butter (even natural), any bread (other than once a week, then increase to once a month. Also no air-popped popcorn.... :'(
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Kill her. I mean, dump her :#
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Her ideas to limit carbs and some other foods could be helpful if you have a health issue related to those foods. Lectins, like in peanuts, are a problem for some people. Some people appear to have health issues related to grains. Carbs are a problem for people who are metabolically unhealthy - possibly not you unless you carry weight at your middle, have high blood glucose or PCOS, or a family history of T2D.

TBH, it sounds like she recently read The Plant Paradox. The book has some interesting ideas and theories, but it is not going to need to be applied to everyone.
  • saralowebouchard
    saralowebouchard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look at keto stuff... it seems like that’s the push...the low carb veggies help.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think I just got caught up in the moment speaking casually with her and next thing you know...BOOM I'm scheduling a consultation. Super complicated....seems like it shouldn't be. She also told me to quit eating bananas, and to quit eating peanut butter (even natural), any bread (other than once a week, then increase to once a month. Also no air-popped popcorn.... :'(

None of this makes any sense. It irks me sometimes when I hear people say an "expert" told them to eliminate specific foods with absolutely no context or medical reason to do so.

Now I think I'll get off my soapbox and go make a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a side of popcorn for lunch. Yum.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) and two bananas with lunch every day. Healthy fats and well they taste good and I've had no issues. If said person can back up their statement with science then maybe you should look into what they are saying but if not then I would just go back to what you were doing. There is very little reason to give up peanut butter.