What other healthy-alternative-to-unhealthy-food foods are there that I should know about?

Options
I started dieting about 9 months ago and long story short have lost 80 pounds. This meant cutting out my binges on things like entire cases of donuts and entire cakes or boxes of peanuts etc. The other day, my mother and I recently started buying treats such as Arctic Zero ice cream at our local grocery store. This has been so revolutionary, as it fits into the diet i have for my strength training program at the gym and a whole pint is less calories than something as small as 1/2 cup of rice dry! Now that I have found a product this amazing, I'm wondering what other healthy alternatives there are like this out there replacing junk food. I'm aware of Halo Top and Enlightened ice creams, but I'm extremely lactose intolerant/ not looking for any more ice cream, as Arctic Zero is all I want and need. We also eat things like sugar-free jello and 94% fat-free popcorn for fun snacks and I only mention that as those are two examples of the food I'm seeking out.

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy snacks:

Air-popped popcorn with a tiny bit of butter and a sprinkle of salt
    Celery with PB2 (powdered low-fat peanut butter)
    Apples with PB2
    Baked apple with cinnamon
    Baby carrots with hummus
    Yogurt cheese (see below)
    Olives
    Dill pickles

I make yogurt cheese by taking fat-free yogurt, mixing in dried or fresh herbs, garlic and any other seasonings. Strain through cheesecloth. It's a super yummy cream cheese-like spread. You can take the liquid whey and use it in soup.

I also do lunchmeat roll-ups with turkey or ham, spread with the yogurt cheese (or low-fat cream cheese) and wrap around a dill pickle spear. These are always a big hit at parties and nobody knows they're healthy!
  • RickMcGuire1021
    RickMcGuire1021 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    And I LOVED yogurt too, but all dairy ruins me for weeks. So much so that I can't even have that much Casein or Whey without getting extremely backed up for 2-3 weeks. It's insane
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't mean low calorie.

Personally, I can't stomach sugar free stuff. For popcorn, just pop your own.
  • RickMcGuire1021
    Options
    Also, I don't really enjoy unhealthy food like I used to. I had a few chips with salsa at my friend's New Year's party and they tasted REPULSIVELY SALTY, Tostito's Corn Chips having been my favorite thing to eat ENTIRE BAGS OF when I was 240 pounds. I've cut unhealthy foods out of my life to the extent that they kind of make me sick and feel bloated. I don't taste a distinct difference with these alternatives either, these providing me with a taste I remember more than the original foods. After being away from junk so long, my taste buds have changed I'm assuming.
  • RickMcGuire1021
    Options
    I'm not looking for people to explain the difference between healthy and low calorie. I eat walnuts, whole grain pasta, salmon, sweet potato, nut milk, and many other high cal foods as bi-daily staples in my diet, as I love them and understand they are healthy. I just want low cal things to munch on. Don't criticize that here please, just suggestions.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste Greek Yogurt bagels: https://www.skinnytaste.com/easy-bagel-recipe/

They are such a game-changer for me. They're so easy to make and really scratch that bagel itch with much lower calories. And a nice punch of protein.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    When I make coleslaw, I use half light mayo and half 0% Greek yogurt in the dressing, in place of full fat mayo.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly clear what you are looking for then. In your first post, you want things that are like "sugar free jello and fat free pop corn." and other "fun snacks." But then you go to say that "junk food is junk" and that you aren't looking to eat things like that. IMO, foods like sugar free jello and diet popcorn and eaten as a replacement when one is craving donuts and candy bars. If you are just looking for "low cal things to munch on" there is a big world of vegetables out there. If you are looking for alternatives, look at Linda's Diet Delights.