Best time to exercise

Options
When is it best to exercise? And why? Morning, evening? Before a meal, after a meal? How long before or after meals? Are there any negative consequences exercising at the "wrong" time of the day?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When is it best to exercise? And why? Morning, evening? Before a meal, after a meal? How long before or after meals? Are there any negative consequences exercising at the "wrong" time of the day?
    Best time is................................when you can.
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    I prefer in the morning or at least two hours after eating. If I try to exercise (I run primarily) right after eating then I get horrible side cramps
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Best time to exercise is whenever it works for you!

I exercise in the morning because if I don't do it first thing, then 9 times out 10, I will talk myself out of it. :grumble:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do best first thing in the morning. If I miss it, it is so hard for me to make time for it later on.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly work out before I go to work and also after work before I go back home. I try to switch it up the work outs daily.
  • pauterson
    Options
    Whenever you can. I've read that some cardio is good in the morning on an empty stomach because it helps your body burn off stored caloreis that sat overnight. I dunno.... i think it's more important to just get it done and work it in every chance you get.
  • pauterson
    Options
    Whenever you can. I've read that some cardio is good in the morning on an empty stomach because it helps your body burn off stored caloreis that sat overnight. I dunno.... i think it's more important to just get it done and work it in every chance you get.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening after my daughter goes to bed and after my husband gets home from school... this means I often don't get to the gym until 9 or 9.30. Still, better late than never!
  • MrsGaff
    MrsGaff Posts: 42
    Options
    I time my alarm so I get up and exercise before the kids wake up (they are 3,2, and 10 months...) its annoying and I would loooooove to stay in bed, but for me personally its my most motivated time- ie once I start, I wont stop and I feel energised for the day. If I do it in the evening, I am knackered and feel more like waving a white flag than doing jumping jacks.
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus. The best time to work out is whatever time is best for you. When I was working, I worked out mainly right after I got home from work. Now, since I am unemployed again, I work out 1st thing in the morning. It gets me up and out of bed and is helping combat the depression I normally fall into when my contracts end (I do temp work currently).

I find if I work out at night I don't actually sleep as well. I think my body is just too wound up still. I play hockey on Monday nights and have a hard time sleeping when I get home (off ice by 8:45--home by 10, it's a long drive). I don't get to sleep until after midnight, but them get up at 7:30 again. I need a better schedule, but it is the one I work on right now.