Elliptical

Options
Has anyone actually lost weight by doing only diet and elliptical?

Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I lost weight before by just eating less and not even stepping foot on a elliptical or the gym, so that sounds like something that could happen. You just need a deficit.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    This depends on the type of diet I think.
    I lost half of my weight without even walking let alone elliptical.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I use the elliptical and count calories besides walking so I would say yes you can lose weight. When I first started this, I started with only doing the elliptical and counting calories. I am down 28 pounds so far since January.
  • marckilgore5342
    marckilgore5342 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Diet and elliptical here - it's been working for me. One thing I learned about using machines for working out... if you aren't using a heart rate monitor and an accurate calculator for calorie burn, you are likely WAY overestimating the number of calories being burned. When I got my apple watch and started using the calorie calculations from that, my elliptical workouts dropped from 400+ calories to ~250 calories. It was a bit sad to see that happen, but I think it's much more accurate.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Caloric Deficit is the key, regardless of exercise.
  • Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Calorie reduction and half an hour a day on the elliptical does it for me, with a daily walk for about twenty minutes to burn out the dog's energy. I initially lost 45 pounds, now I'm working on the last 10. Don't believe the elliptical readout for calories burned. It's a vanity measurement.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight lying in bed all day watching Netflix. It's all about the calorie deficit - whether you achieve that through only food intake, only exercise, or BOTH - you will lose weight.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You can lose weight lying in bed all day watching Netflix. It's all about the calorie deficit - whether you achieve that through only food intake, only exercise, or BOTH - you will lose weight.

Heehee - love it!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

Heehee - love it!

I know from experience... LOL.
  • SCRN2019
    SCRN2019 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been riding the elliptical for 30 minutes almost every day (I live in a cold state so when it’s nice out I go for a walk instead) since the middle of January and have been logging my calories and as of today I’m officially down 20 lbs!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jess4kids wrote: »

I lost a lot of weight on the ellipticals and recumbent bike. I also did resistance machines.

I started to have severe back pain using those machines and had to stop that stuff. The bike and elliptical literally started causing pain. I learned later that I have have severe arthritis in my spine.

I found my way to the pool after my pain was finally managed.

The pool is a place I rarely feel pain. And I can say you can get a very good workout from swimming and water fitness classes. Swimming uses a ton of muscles.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the elliptical is my exercise of choice. I also do some weight training, but not much, and is a fairly recent addition.

lost 100 pounds through eating less and moving more.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Jess4kids wrote: »

Yes, me! 5 hours of elliptical a week and the mfp diet. With a 40 min run once a week.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    the elliptical is my exercise of choice. I also do some weight training, but not much, and is a fairly recent addition.

lost 100 pounds through eating less and moving more.

Wow, 100 pounds! Thats truly amazing.