Types of Fish

Options

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Isn't tilapia the fish of choice if the person preparing/selling the fish knows that the customer doesn't really care about the fish and wants to go cheap? It sounds much fancier than cod or haddock even if it is anonymous at best. A lot of cheap places or large scale food processors in the US use it for fried filets since it's so small that it cooks very quickly and the customers buying those items really just care about the breaded coating anyway.

Whereas a processed fish stick (usually cod or haddock) might actually be a better product, the fact that the tilapia can be sold as a whole filet allows for a price premium.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My only concern on tilapia would be that it's almost always Chinese/Vietnamese (where environmental and food safety regulations and enforcement kind of suck) - so a potential for heavy metals and other contamination from industry. (Other than it being pretty blech taste and texture-wise).

Fish closer to the top of the food chain will concentrate mercury and other heavy metals more so than the fish lower down on the food chain. And wild caught versus farmed, and location of origin will have an effect. Macros will also shift based on these as well (Different salmon species have different fat content for instance, and supposedly may vary for farmed versus wild caught).
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,870 Member
    Options
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    In for the sushi.

I don't like farmed fish, more because I don't like the current farming techniques and the impact on the environment and wild fish. So no farmed salmon for me. Wild are great. Fix the farming process and I would consider farmed, but they are a bit more fatty.

Never tried tilapia and sounds like I never will.

Rainbow trout is very much dependent on the lake. Caught and cooked a big one (5ish lbs) that tasted like mud. Have had some that were good. For the most part I throw trout back.

Kokanee (landlocked salmon) are tasty and in a lake 20 minutes from home.

Can't catch them anymore but Pickerel/Walleye will always be my favourite fish to both catch and eat.

Biggest trout for me was ~9 lbs. Catch and release lake.

Biggest fish for me was ~100 lbs. Need to go catch Sturgeon again. That's fun even if you can't eat them.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Halibut is my favourite. Costco have bags in the freezer of portioned steaks - not very cheap but really good fish and good quality. I also like tuna steaks and get those fresh or frozen wherever, but don't cook much other seafood at home or eat much in general actually.
  • joeredsfan
    joeredsfan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I limit my intake of bottom feeders because of concerns about Mercury and other heavy elements that settle on the bottom.
  • crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    The problem with tilapia is that they are usually bred in Asia. They live in to small tanks thay don't get cleaned often. Also on top of that the feeding the fish gets is usually very poor (quite often pig feces). This makes the macro and micro nutrient profile of tilapia quit bad (not much nutrients)

I am never eating tilapia again!!!! I love tilapia but never again.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    crisma1974 wrote: »
    Rose18l wrote: »
    The problem with tilapia is that they are usually bred in Asia. They live in to small tanks thay don't get cleaned often. Also on top of that the feeding the fish gets is usually very poor (quite often pig feces). This makes the macro and micro nutrient profile of tilapia quit bad (not much nutrients)

I am never eating tilapia again!!!! I love tilapia but never again.

Find out the source of the fish. If you like it and it is sourced locally (not in Asia) it may be perfectly fine.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Sturgeon rules.

Just about any sushi is also right up there.

Good with salmon, halibut, trout and catfish.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Sturgeon rules.

Sturgeon is right up there with Bald Eagle or Snowy Owl....

Yeah, not allowed to eat them where I can catch them.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Sturgeon rules.

Sturgeon is right up there with Bald Eagle or Snowy Owl....

Yeah, not allowed to eat them where I can catch them.

It's been pretty rare. Only had them at a couple of seafood restaurants in the Pacific Northwest, where I no longer live. But as good as there is.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am not biased when it comes to seafood (except tilapia) although I do aim to eat a serving of salmon every week for the omega 3. The problem with tilapia is the male are much smaller than the female in nature but the female (obviously) are the only ones who make more tilapia so they feed horomones to the male to turn them into female so they’ll grow larger for the food market. My knowledge of tilapia was when I was researching raising them on my little farm for extra income. :-/ Take all information with a grain of salt so feel free to do your own research.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    katphi1618 wrote: »
    I am not biased when it comes to seafood (except tilapia) although I do aim to eat a serving of salmon every week for the omega 3. The problem with tilapia is the male are much smaller than the female in nature but the female (obviously) are the only ones who make more tilapia so they feed horomones to the male to turn them into female so they’ll grow larger for the food market. My knowledge of tilapia was when I was researching raising them on my little farm for extra income. :-/ Take all information with a grain of salt so feel free to do your own research.

My initial research indicates that the opposite is true -- the male is preferred by producers because it grows larger. Do you have some sources you can share on this and how exactly male fish are transformed into female fish?
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Mackerel and Monk Fish are my favourite but don't mind Cod, Haddock or Plaice too.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In a dietary context, there is a difference between a fatty or oily fish and the rest. If you are eating fish for the omega 3 fatty acids, ALA, EPA, DHA, etc., you generally want to look at salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, mackerel, and trout. These are best prepared simply via steaming, broiling, or even grilling.

Two or three normal sized servings a week is generally recognized and safe and recommended by dieticians - any more and you will want to consult a dietician as there are concerns around eating 'too much' fish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Love fish, but the cost is a huge turn off! And it really doesn't fill me up at all.

When I splurge, it's usually on sushi... some of my favorite fish (Dover sole, 'skate) are hard to find here and very expensive when they are.

Don't really care for flounder and tilapia or the US 'sole', but I like salmon, halibut, cod, catfish (not sure how 'healthy' that one is for you). I don't like tuna at all unless it's raw.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, skate is amazing. There's one store here that usually has it. Skate in brown butter sauce.

Sole is great too, but definitely harder to find IME and expensive.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I eat salmon, tuna, cod, halibut, trout, shellfish, anything I can find.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I just made a chowder last weekend that had haddock, cod, scallops, clams, and shrimp...yummy.