Weirdest Thing You've Found While Walking/Biking/Running

Options
124»

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Most horrible thing I saw was the back half of a cat. The rest of it’s body was missing.

Most beautiful thing I saw was a family of foxes running through a field of glistening grass with fog hovering over the land.

Most valuable thing I saw was a Debit Gift Card. Still not sure if there is money on it.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    A guy walking around the lake, carrying his dog on a baby Bjorn.
  • xxerniexx
    xxerniexx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    this was in front of my gym one day!
    by3jwfpwg9yl.jpg
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Lots of money. When I was in San Diego found $20 in a parking lot. Another time $17 blowing around in the wind.

A few weeks ago my daughter found a $50.

Today’s run netted me 7 cents. I’ve picked up lots of change over the years.

The worst is dog poop on sidewalks.

• AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I haven't found anything lately but in our house we call them "ground scores"
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    The park I walk in (just down the road from me) is city property, not a very big park and certainly not a cemetery. However, there is a little grave next to the road that, judging by the size and items left at the "head stone" is for a small child, probably a girl. It is obviously well tended and there are always flowers there. The grave is outlined with stones and filled with pine cones that have been spray painted silver. There was an angel ornament there at one point and also a heart made out of bent branches. The last time I went past (ie yesterday) there was a little pink teddy bear
  • bigjuicy1234
    bigjuicy1234 Posts: 22,577 Member
    Options
    I used to do urban exploring in Detroit. We would go into abandoned buildings like schools, churches , hospitals, sky scrapers. The list of weird things we came across would be endless.While in an abandoned church we came across an room that you could tell a family with a baby was living there. My friend and I found some paper and wrote them a note telling them to use this mo ey to get their kids and them selves something to eat. We each put a $20 bill with the note and left it on the pillow they had on a old torn up mattress.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    A (styrofoam) duck decoy laying on the sidewalk. LOL
    F yeah, brought it home. It's in the basement!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love trail hiking, and it's not uncommon for me to deviate from the trail out of curiosity. I'm in FL so I've stumbled across countless gators and snakes, so not really "weird". I have also found several makeshift shelters, a few long abandoned cars, and once an entire encampment, which was surprising (and neat if I'm honest) since my wife works with individuals experiencing homelessness and she had never mentioned anything in that area; I told her about it when I got home and they sent a some case workers out.

The one I found the absolute strangest was when I found a brick chimney. Just the chimney. I was a good two miles out so I could not figure out how it got there. I took various people out to it for years because we were young and I thought it was interesting, it became our picnic spot because teenagers are strange. :D
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    A (styrofoam) duck decoy laying on the sidewalk. LOL
    F yeah, brought it home. It's in the basement!

That's awesome! James Veitch that duck! LOL!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    3f6yo0lkadxd.jpg
    :lol:
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    3f6yo0lkadxd.jpg
    :lol:

Oh my gosh!!!!! That's wonderful!
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Underwear in the street.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    The most common thing I saw while running in Atlanta was chunks or entire weaves blowing about. I called them tumbleweaves

HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Heroin overdose.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish Posts: 831 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I usually walk about sunrise on the weekend. About 10 years ago, some guy tried to jump me from behind as I was on a bridge going over Johnson Creek. I threw him into Johnson Creek. Came home and told my wife about it. She got all upset. Told me that I shouldn't be walking on this trail because of the homeless people taking over. I've been walking this trail since 1990. Not going to get run off. So, to placate my wife, I got my Carry Permit and started bringing a pistol with me. 8 years go by. No problem. Then, one day, I decide to go at sunset rather than sunrise. I pass some guy and I notice he's paying too much attention to me. Walked about a mile and looked back to see he was about 200 yards back. Went another 1/2 mile and looked back and noticed he was about 100 yards back. Came up over a hill and saw two other guys coming towards me about 100 yards away. Looked behind me and the other guy had closed the gap to about 20 yards behind me. I stopped. Everybody else stopped. One of the two guys in front of me, pulled a machete out and started swinging it at the bushes along the trail. I pulled my Remington out, jacked a round in the chamber. Everybody turned and ran. I didn't tell my wife about it. She'd probably ground me.

Damn, things like that make me reconsider not hiking armed, I'm usually alone with a knife now that my dog is older. Black bears I've seen on my hikes are not half as dangerous as humans like that. Since we have only black bears and mountain lions in the area, black bears are typically more wary of you than you are of them as long as you stay away from cubs, and I'm too tall to draw interest from mountain lions, so I'm relatively safe from non human animals. Probably an Elk in breeding season is the only thing anywhere near as dangerous as humans.

Weirdest encounter would have to be an unknown very large animal in the dark: I forgot about daylight savings time and was return hiking in the dusk unprepared, so I tried to go fast and was making good time on the trail. I sensed something wasn't quite right and I slowed down suddenly. As I rounded a curve in the trail, I heard something that had to be very large crashing through the brush ahead. I backed off slowly. I couldn't see anything in the dark heavy tree cover and from where I retreated to, and did not want to risk peeking out after I heard the sound of a deep rumbling and snorting. I stayed very still until I heard the crashing sounds cross the trail, then go down the incline into the valley by the trail. Once it was gone I made my way as fast as I could back to the car in the light of dusk! Later on, as I was driving out down on the windy dirt road switchbacks, a small group of large elk crossed into the brush...I figure it was my turn to be the large scary thing in the dark.