Any recommendations for places that allow you to workout without financial commitment?

Options
Basically, it's much too cold outside for me to run when I want to and I'm looking for general places that are either free or charge a daily fee to use an indoor track or treadmill. I don't mind paying, I just don't want to have to sign a contract. Thanks!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Most chain gyms will give you a one week trial membership.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yeah most gyms will give you trials Maybe give one a call to see if they will accommodate you... but I think what you're asking for seems like it'll be longer than a day or a week possibly... some gym let people drop in and pay a fee that may be what you're looking for.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Invest in good cool/cold weather running gear and you won't need to worry about any other gym/fitness facility financial commitments.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Invest in good cool/cold weather running gear and you won't need to worry about any other gym/fitness facility financial commitments.

Yup! Worth the investment.
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Home.
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check community centers - where I used to live ours had a great gym and you could pay per day (very reasonable cost)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Our University gym sells punch cards. Maybe try calling places and asking for one of those.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Your local community center or high school may have a track you can use for free. Mine does. Your community center might have a fitness room you can use for cheap; mine is only $100 a year, which is practically free compared to a lot of facilities.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    The YMCA is the only one that comes to mind. In my town you can pay by the day. Otherwise look into at home cardio videos/ exercises to keep your cardio up until you can run outside.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I could have sworn that Planet Fitness, or Blink or one of those no-contract gyms have daily rates, or some sort of 10-day pass. You should call around.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think most any gym would accommodate someone just wanting to do month-to-month. It would be a higher cost per month because they'll want to ink you in to a year or two. But cash does talk. ;)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    We have fitness centers run by our local park authority. They have pools, weights, treadmills, basketball courts, etc. You can buy a membership or just pay per use.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Snap Fitness is a pay by monthly, Planet Fitness is the same.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    agree with the others. you are lucky if you have the options to choose.. we have no fitness centers,no ymca,no rec center, and our only high school doesnt have a track (neither does the middle or elementary schools). no local pool,nada. to go swimming the only place is the one hotel 15 miles away and they charge a fee. The nearest track is at I guess what you call the county park which is 20+ miles away and its outside too(10 miles from the school too). most runners around here just run the roads so to speak.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Run outside. No weather is too cold as long as you dress appropriately.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    The university gym I go to has a drop-in fee. And that's what I do ... on a day when the weather is bad or I want to do something different, I drop in at the gym to run on the treadmill and row, or maybe attend a spinning class.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Run outside. No weather is too cold as long as you dress appropriately.

While I get this sentiment, I like to run first thing (5:30 am) and between the cold, the dark and the icy roads, I am not comfortable running outside so I head to the Y. Thinking back, I joined the Y last August as my town was filled with smoke from forest fires and running outside aggravated me.

I don't have a good answer for the OP, but understand why the question was asked.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Some churches have modest gyms that they allow nonmembers to use. Usually you just have to register and pay for the keycard/fob. Often no charge, they just ask you to donate as you are able.
  • Xxjayxxxxx
    Xxjayxxxxx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Swimming still cost you but not as much as a gym membership. Or walking.
  • hopefuldreamfairy
    hopefuldreamfairy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! Seems like Snap Fitness is the best bet!