I’ve seen mixed thoughts

Options
What is everyone’s personal opinion on breakfast? Should we eat breakfast to help with metabolism?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Nah. The whole "breakfast is the most important/metabolism-boosting meal of the day" is a myth.

I prefer to practice intermittent fasting so I can have a nice big dinner instead. No negative effects on energy level or weight loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Breakfast does nothing for the metabolism. If you don't care to eat breakfast, don't.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you like it and it makes your day better. Don't if it doesn't. That's my motto.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    as long as your eating enough foods your fine. I look at it this way Breakfast is your first meal of the day and when that is is up to you. some days i dont eat till 11 and i am just fine and still get enough food through out the day.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I need breakfast. It gives me energy to start my day. Some people don't need or want breakfast. You do what is best for you.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat breakfast then eat it, if you don't then don't. It doesn't do anything for your metabolism. I always eat breakfast during the work week, but often skip it on the weekends. Just do what works best for you.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Some people like to eat breakfast. It works for me, but as far as my reading, it does not "boost" metabolism. It might keep some people from eating more at their next meal though.
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Some days I wake up ravenous, stomach growling hungry. I have breakfast, something nutritionally balanced that'll keep me full for a nice long while. Some days the idea of eating breakfast turns my stomach (it's how my anxiety tends to manifest). So I don't. I make myself a nice big mug of tea, and wait until I'm hungry and not nauseous.

Really, as long as you're on target at the end of the day, and aren't feeling deprived, eat however works best for you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like breakfast. On run days I will have a light one, go for my run and then have a second (more substantial) one when I get home and my wife wakes up.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My wife doesn't like to eat breakfast but she admits that she feels better when she does.

Myself, if I am actually home on the weekend and don't really eat until 10-11am, is it really breakfast or did I skip breakfast and am not eating lunch since my normal lunchtime at work is 10:30am. My body doesn't know what meal I am supposedly eating, it just uses what I give it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you like it. Don't eat it if you don't. It has little effect on your metabolism.

Personally I prefer it and it helps me moderate at lunch.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a bit in the morning, it helps me get to lunch without picking at food.
    It makes no difference for your metabolism though. That's a myth.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    There is no should, or shouldn't. I don't, but I know people who'd kill if they go without. I also know people who have their last, light meal of the day at around 6ish (*gasp!*) - I could never do that. Whatever makes you happy and keeps you healthy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I agree there is no 'should' about it.

Me personally, yes I do eat a light breakfast, usually 3 weetbix or sometimes yogurt and a banana, something like that.
    Especially on work days, otherwise I feel faint and nausea way before my lunch time at 1:00.

At home, when I can just have lunch earlier if I want to, I sometimes don't eat breakfast too.
    Or, depending on how you look at it, I have a late breakfast, or brunch, or morning tea.