Home made frozen meals..

I was wondering if any members make their own frozen meals. If anyone does what do you freeze them in. Also do you reheat from frozen or unthaw the night before

Also is it ok to cook frozen veggies and refreeze them in your frozen meals.

Thanks

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I freeze a variety of things. Soups, eggs, cooked bacon, pasta, and i also have chicken, brown eice and veggies currently in my freezer. I purchase containers from my local grocers or amazon. I sometimes freeze things in freezer storage bags as well
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I use freezer ziplock bags. It's easier for me because it creates less mess to clean up. I used to use Tupperware style containers but they became a mess and I would always leave them at work and in my car. I just throw away the ziplock bag when I'm done.
    I use frozen veggies that are heated and then refrozen all the time, I haven't had a problem. Sometimes it's just easier .
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    I was wondering if any members make their own frozen meals. If anyone does what do you freeze them in.

Tempered glass bowls with snap-on plastic lids (Pyrex or Anchor brand). You can microwave or oven-heat (not the lid!). I use mostly 2C bowls, but also some 1C and some bigger rectangles. You can write date/contents on the lid with china marker, and it washes off later.

I usually just put one thing per container, then mix & match at mealtime, rather than combine all the meal parts in one frozen chunk.

I like that the bowls are reusable, not disposable, too.
    Also do you reheat from frozen or unthaw the night before

I usually just put them directly in the microwave when frozen. If I put them frozen in the oven, I put them in at the start of preheat.

Also is it ok to cook frozen veggies and refreeze them in your frozen meals.

I do sometimes. I might assume their happy freezer lifespan is a little shorter.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    any leftovers from dinner get put in a plastic box and frozen: chilli, the meat based part of a pasta or rice dish, soups, most slow cooker type stews, risotto, curries, enchiladas/burritos, pancakes and waffles. basically anything! I then defrost and heat up in the microwave.
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    I freeze everything! I think it depends a lot on what you're eating but for things like soups and such I just take it out the day before or the morning of and by supper it's mostly defrosted and ready for the stove or oven.

Unless you like playing the 'what does this smell like' game, always label whatever you freeze.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I freeze my leftovers if they aren't finished in 2 days. This way I always have something to bring for lunches or if I don't feel like cooking dinner.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I freeze ingredients that make my life easier. I try to use refrigerated leftovers the next day or else they risk becoming mystery meat. Here are foods I regularly freeze:
    - peeled bananas
    - Caramelised onions in an ice cube tray
    - Hummus in ziplock bags (see hack below)
    - Vegetable peelings and celery tops for soups and stews
    - A tray of precooked meatballs
    - Precooked chicken breasts
    - Pre sliced roasts

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jesseszewczyk/ziploc-bag-hacks?utm_term=.pg5mdgMPp#.js7O50Bme
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,738 Member
    Yes, but method matters. Freezing food and defrosting properly (and retaining the taste and texture) takes some practice. You'll find some things survive freezing and re-heating much better than others.

Also, as has been mentioned, what you use (plastic containers, glass, plastic baggies, etc.) is dependent on preference and ease. Not everyone has room for lots of containers in their freezer.

But, once you figure it out it's a good way to cook in bulk and to save food that would otherwise go to waste. I keep a sharpie with my baggies so that I can mark the date and whatever else may be helpful on the package.
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    If you're mixing the frozen veggies in something like a casserole, yes definitely thaw then refreeze, otherwise when you reheat your meal it will create a soggy mess.