How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• DJWhiteSquall
    DJWhiteSquall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself daily. I do it every morning after I wake up and use the restroom to stay consistent. Sure, there are days where I'm left scratching my head as to why I may have not lost anything or even gained a little, but as others have said, it provides me great motivation.

I think it's interesting what @sschauer513 said regarding weighing yourself before and after hard exercise. I may have to try that out...
  • eTrevor79
    eTrevor79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    alcomer wrote: »
    I have an app that I can track my daily weight. It gives me something to look forward to in the morning, and I find the information very helpful! It's fascinating to see the daily changes. I only log on mfp whenever I get .3+ drop.

I would love to use an app to track! What app do you use chellycakes?

I weigh daily too and log with Happy Scale. I like to see the progress. It recommends daily weight tracking, but gives you a moving average. I don’t understand the moving average, but it’s usually favorable and that helps me stay motivated.

I also hop onto MFP to track only when I have a loss.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Oh, you mean the "Death March."

Once the suspense becomes unbearable.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Every morning
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It’s hard for me not to want to weigh every day but when I do, it can be disheartening to see the scale go up due to fluid levels. Yesterday I was 267.6 and didn’t drink nearly enough water and has some popcorn so my weight this morning was 268.8. Now I know that I didn’t gain this weight overnight and it’s just fluid but I am still frustrated by it. So I suggest just to weigh weekly.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself?

Second thing every morning ... unless I happen to be travelling.

I find the fluctuations interesting.
  • mkosturko
    mkosturko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person who needs to weigh myself daily. I tried doing it once a week, but if I didn't see any results or a gain, I wouldn't weigh myself at all the following weeks. To keep my weight loss at the top of my priorities, I weigh myself every morning (I set an alarm for 7:30am) after using the restroom. Then if I gain, I generally can realize that it's just a fluctuation.
  • radbikerchick
    radbikerchick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every day but I started getting obsessive over it - and it didn’t help that I was in a plateau. I recently made a resolution to go about seven weeks without weighing but to focus on following my exercise plan and tracking everything consistently and really sticking to the calorie limit. I managed to go about 10 days haha. But when I did weigh myself I was down quite a bit! It was encouraging... I am back in a no weigh period and it is really good for focusing on the substance of what I need to do to be healthy day to day and less on my feelings about fluctuations. I definitely don’t have the ability to observe fluctuations and not have some sort of emotion about them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Daily, to track normal fluctuations.. I live for the low days, lol!
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh weekly but now I weight daily and use the app Libra (Android). It charts my progress and helps me understand why I might have fluctuations. It has helped me a lot to stay on track.
  • Jazjakesmummy2016
    Jazjakesmummy2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day first thing in the morning, im a serial weigher! Xx
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed in yet....used another app for about a month before coming back here..trying to focus on eating right and exercise not the number on the scale right now is what I need for me to do this.
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Daily, right after I do my business in the morning, and with as little clothing as possible. When I worked in patient education, this was the instructions given to heart failure survivors, and I guess it just stuck with me. The plateaus are tough but I if forget to weigh, I forget to do everything.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every day but I started getting obsessive over it - and it didn’t help that I was in a plateau. I recently made a resolution to go about seven weeks without weighing but to focus on following my exercise plan and tracking everything consistently and really sticking to the calorie limit. I managed to go about 10 days haha. But when I did weigh myself I was down quite a bit! It was encouraging... I am back in a no weigh period and it is really good for focusing on the substance of what I need to do to be healthy day to day and less on my feelings about fluctuations. I definitely don’t have the ability to observe fluctuations and not have some sort of emotion about them.

I like your thinking about focusing on substance and NOT feelings. Great non obsessive approach :)
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only log weekly. I am not discouraged by temporary gains and like to make sure I am on a general downward trend.
  • sueami1
    sueami1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing myself every day. I find that now that I am tracking what I eat so completely, it helps me to stay calmer actually. When I see a pound or more go on in a day, and I see that I went 1000 mg over in my salt consumption the day before, I know that it's water weight and it's coming off again soon. If I had only weighed in once a week, I wouldn't have seen that I had actually lost half a pound before that water weight gain and wouldn't feel confident that I would see a good loss again, as soon as I have a couple days where I'm not eating so many high-sodium foods.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but that drives some people crazy. I'm getting close to my goal, though, so the weight is coming off sloowwwwwlllyyyyy. I weigh daily to get that extra accountability.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Everyone does different things..but do what keeps you motivated and on track for losing weight.

Some have the personality to weigh everyday - and the fluctuations don't bother them one bit..they look at the general trend down over a period of time. That destroys me. i weigh every two weeks. i find i always make progress, so i keep motivated and i don't waste weeks doing things that aren't working.
    When i stop weighing myself is when i kid myself and get fat slowly. Once i get to goal - i will weigh weekly to make sure the fat never creeps on me again.

I used to really look at the scale. It was motivating. The problem for me was once I reached my goal, my motivation was taken away. I have since stopped worrying about the scale. I still check my weight every 10-14 days just to make sure I’m losing. My goal is now just my daily calorie intake, and I don’t fret when I go over a day or two a week. The result is I’m still losing weight, at a bit slower pace than before, but without getting on an unsustainable emotional high of losing weight. This seems to be my best bet staying at a weight I can be happy with. Hitting weight goals feels too much like a finish line for me.
  • MisterDale50
    MisterDale50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning for me.
  • Jo25369
    Jo25369 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Every morning, and sometimes too when I get home. Just to make sure I'm on track, even though I should know if I am or not going by how well I've eaten that day!