50+ lbs gone - before/after

Options
bee_bee8
bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
edited March 2018 in Success Stories
Stats:
Height: 5'3.5"
SW: ~171.8 lbs(I was too afraid of the scale to weigh myself at the very beginning)
CW: 120.0 lbs
GW: 120 lbs

Today, I reached my goal weight. Right on the dot.

It's been a long road and there have been more than a few bumps, but in many ways it's been easier than I thought. Healthy food can be delicious and satiating. Working out can be a thing to look forward to (but let's face it, not always). Before last January, I was totally sedentary, overeating most days, and borderline obese. I won't lie and say I've been 100% committed to my lifestyle change since I made the decision to live differently over a year ago, but learning to take setbacks in stride was one of many important lessons I learned. I'll share a few things that helped me. Scroll to the end if you just wanna see the before/after ;-)

* It's true you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but I found it immensely helpful. It curbed my cravings almost right away when I started doing cardio daily. Not to mention, time spent working out is time that can't be spent eating ;-)
* Preparing your own food and using a food scale is truly the only way to log accurately. You can make all kinds of assumptions about what's in your meal when you dine out, but odds are you're probably underestimating. Dining out is killer when it comes to staying within a calorie goal (not that it can't be done), and it's just so much easier to make low-calorie, healthy meals at home.
* Healthy meals don't have to be bland or unappetizing! I was not a cook at ALL when I started out; I'd never made anything more advanced than mac n cheese. I still don't make anything fancy, but I did make an effort to find some recipes using healthy ingredients I knew I liked. I'm a picky eater which makes it more difficult, but it's still totally doable.
* You don't need to cut out any one thing to lose weight, or eat anything you don't want to eat. Personally, I hate leafy greens. I know they're good for me. I know they have almost no calories. I hate them. Salads are only good to me if they're drenched in dressing, and that completely defeats the purpose ;-) If I had to describe my diet in terms of macros I'd say it was roughly 60% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein, but I didn't really pay attention to that. I ate what I liked, which meant a lot of bread, pasta, fish, and avocados. I heckin' love avocados.
* Small, incremental changes can make all the difference. Snack on strawberries instead of chips. Throw some extra vegetables in that stir fry. Walk a little farther with your dog this evening (maybe even jog for a short bit!). These changes can build on each other and before you know it, you're getting stronger, faster, healthier, and likely experiencing that delightful side effect of shedding pounds.
* Your mistakes do not define your journey. This is probably my most important takeaway from my experience over the last year. For months at the beginning, I was diligent. Never had a cheat meal, never skipped a workout. I remember distinctly the first time I broke from my routine and went on a weekend-long binge, eating everything I had missed from the past several months. It snowballed; it was one of those things where we tell ourselves "Well I already had a greasy burger, might as well EAT EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF BECAUSE WHAT'S THE POINT?!" These slip-ups will happen. Very few people can be perfect all the time (especially people who love food as much as I do). As I've started to accept that, I've gotten better about bouncing back.

I hope some of this is helpful to others; I have found this community to be incredibly valuable as I tried to navigate the overly-noisy and seemingly complicated (but not really) world of weight loss and health. Having hit my goal weight, I'm excited for the next step. I really want to get even more physically fit, and work on my strength for recomp. Good luck, all my fitness pals!

Photos:

pn0bzave37jw.png

c8b48gf1d3ux.jpg

0cjyt3qu6psz.jpg

Replies

• hafsatoheedhirataymoor
    Options
    Waaaao just waaao
    I’m very close to your stats a bit more maybe and same goal as yours
    Plz share some details if u don’t mind
    Anyway complete awesomeness
  • hafsatoheedhirataymoor
    Options
    I’m soooo sory
    I went straight to pic and sent the masg right away
  • hafsatoheedhirataymoor
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all of that
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!
  • Stinaseward
    Stinaseward Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow just wow!!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation! Very well done :)
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Congrats :smiley:
  • sexybug6
    sexybug6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Brilliant job be proud of what you have achieved,you look amazing
    I'm nearly lost a stone since Jan 2 2018 and hoping to lose another 2 by Aug wish me luck
  • Mikkimomof6
    Mikkimomof6 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Wow! girl you're looking fab - well done :smile:
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Wow.... lol..... so that's what 120 lbs looks like?

Fantastic job!
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Amazing job and even better message. Well done and thanks so much for taking the time to share!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Wow, super awesome! You're an inspiration! Keep it up!
  • ashenk224
    ashenk224 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have similar stats to you. I’m 5’3”. I weigh 178.8lbs. It’s the heaviest I have ever been. My current goal weight is 135-140. I was in my best shape at that weight. So I’m crossing my fingers that with some hard work I can be there soon!
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wowzers girl!!! Great job!
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting your goal! You look wonderful!
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Looking Great!! I am 5'3 and i started at 186. i am down over 40lbs but losing the last 15lbs seem so hard. So thanks for the motivational speech. Your right on many of your points!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the graph! It's so helpful to see and realize it's not easy for anyone. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!