Cancer vs Calories

Options
coleman4433
coleman4433 Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2018 in Motivation and Support
In August 2014, at 44 years old, I had reached my lowest weight ever of 175lbs and I was running 3 miles at the gym 3-4 times a week. In December 2014, I was diagnosed with an incurable but treatable cancers (Multiple Myeloma and Plasma Cell Leukemia) that took me from fighting great to fighting cancer. 3 years later, still figuring cancer and with the meds, steroids and yes, emotional eating I found myself right back up where I was before losing the weight.

On 1/30/18, I weighed 240. Today, I'm at 224lb. I'm really proud of myself, but I'm struggling to keep it going. The fact of the matter is if I can get my body in better shape and lose this fat, I know it's better able to fight cancer, infections, etc.

Is there anyone out there that can relate to living with cancer and fighting being overweight?

Replies

• eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I can't relate but I am cheering for you. I think a focus on weight loss and getting healthy is a very positive thing to build into your life right now and the MFP community is a supportive one! We will cheer for you and push you along when you need it.

Keep going ... you've had a brilliant February. I hope you are now aiming for a brilliant March.
  • coleman4433
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouragement! I'm usually pretty good at self-motivating, but this has been a completely different case. I'm frequently sick, don't feel like cooking to make sure I eat well... It's more of a struggle.

I use to want to lose weight for the physical aspect of looking better, now I just want to live longer. I'm itself, that's motivation overall but then like I said you have to be able to make the right foods. I've been doing Keto, which is a lot of preparation, looking for other options.

Thanks again,
    Amy
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Hoping you get some good feedback, you have a good attitude despite you feeling the struggle of it all and what you've been through. Wishing you all the best <3
  • coleman4433
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouragement. Have a blessed day!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My CA was treated without chemo or steroids, so I have experience with the strain of the diagnosis but not with your meds.

Please, 16 lbs in 5 weeks? Are you struggling because you’ve set up a program that’s too aggressive to live with?

What are you trying to do going forward from here?
  • kweenee
    kweenee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In August 2014, at 44 years old, I had reached my lowest weight ever of 175lbs and I was running 3 miles at the gym 3-4 times a week. In December 2014, I was diagnosed with an incurable but treatable cancers (Multiple Myeloma and Plasma Cell Leukemia) that took me from fighting great to fighting cancer. 3 years later, still figuring cancer and with the meds, steroids and yes, emotional eating I found myself right back up where I was before losing the weight.

On 1/30/18, I weighed 240. Today, I'm at 224lb. I'm really proud of myself, but I'm struggling to keep it going. The fact of the matter is if I can get my body in better shape and lose this fat, I know it's better able to fight cancer, infections, etc.

Is there anyone out there that can relate to living with cancer and fighting being overweight?

Yes!!!! My cancer is technically in remission and I'm concerned of recurrence. My food problems cause me anxiety, because food has been my 'go to' when things get rough. I applaud you and stand with you as we work to get healthier each day. ♡
  • beachme14
    beachme14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My mom is battling multiple myeloma so I can somewhat understand. I don’t have advice as far as trying to lose weight while dealing with it, but just wanted to praise you for trying to juggle it all. I truly believe a healthier body will help with the fight. Best wishes!!
  • hagnew0
    hagnew0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can certainly relate, I think the aftermath of cancer treatment is so much worse because you really are on your own. You should be proud of what you have achieved so far, because i know how hard it can be. I had successfully taken my weight from almost obese to almost normal when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After chemo, surgery, radiation and assortment of medications my body is not what is was before and my weight is high again. I only finished treatment in the summer and am taking things slowly. Right now I am concentrating on regular HONEST logging and attempting to clean up my diet. Baby steps! Add me if you want.