Calories and mood changes

Options
I've lost about 15lbs since the beginning of the year and an messing my goal weight but I've been in a bad mood for the past couple weeks. Just kind of irritable and having a hard time getting it to go away. I'm not stressed or anything. Does anyone else get this? I'm not sure if my calorie deficit is starting to affect my mood negatively

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    When you got moody or irritable before your deficit, would you turn to food to cope?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? How much do you have to lose?
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not really. I'd normally just go do something else
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I got very moody and irritable towards the end of last year when I was not eating back my exercise calories... your calorie-deficit may be too high. Hard to know for sure without anymore details.
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My calorie level is set at 1430. I'm 5'8 at 156lbs. I usually eat closer to 1250-1350 and don't feel hungry. I'm probably closer to 1430 because of not logging the small stuff like cooking spray. I don't eat back exercise cals because that hasn't worked for me in the past.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My calorie level is set at 1430. I'm 5'8 at 156lbs. I usually eat closer to 1250-1350 and don't feel hungry. I'm probably closer to 1430 because of not logging the small stuff like cooking spray. I don't eat back exercise cals because that hasn't worked for me in the past.

Sounds like your deficit is too large. 1450 is already a deficit, then you don't even hit that goal sometimes and then you don't eat your exercise calories back. You may be netting 1200 or less calories a day. Which would make anyone irritable.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It happens. Might not be a bad idea to give yourself a couple of 'reprieve' days once every week or two to take some of the edge off. That said, next time you feel one of your bad moods coming on, take a quick self assessment to see if you think it's more of a mental strain or a physical one. If the latter, you may want to permanently raise your calories a little since it could be a case of blood sugar running a bit low between meals.

If the former, then you really just need to give yourself a release every now and then. Also, if you can recognize when you're in a bad mood, take a quick 30 second break to take some deep breaths and to center yourself. Acknowledge the state for yourself and try to refrain from immediately snapping at others, etc.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough that's why you're irritable - its known as hangry.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,325 Member
    Options
    15 pounds this year is a fast weight loss rate for someone so near goal weight, and "hangry" is a warning sign. Yes, eat more.