Type of Strength training question

Options
mdlowrance
mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I like to run and it’s my main form of exercise. I’m not fast or competitive, just slowly plod along until I get there. I am a 42 year old woman if that matters.

Replies

• mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That’s goofy not sure where the rest of my post went... my question is would it be better to
    Lift heavy or do a Jillian Michael type dvd to tone up, get stronger, and get the benefits of strength training.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Follow an established lifting program. There is a sticky with a link to a bunch of them. One thing I'd highly recommend is incorporating single leg work, no matter what you end up choosing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mdlowrance wrote: »
    That’s goofy not sure where the rest of my post went... my question is would it be better to
    Lift heavy or do a Jillian Michael type dvd to tone up, get stronger, and get the benefits of strength training.

Something like JM is largely a CV session. Structured resistance training, either bodyweight or weighted, will give your running much more benefit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    Here's the very informative thread on the weight training topic:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • priyaananth
    priyaananth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone here who hates strength training like me? I just cannot get myself to do it! I love cardio, I run, I cycle and I Zumba but my record of strength is pathetic. Please inspire me.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start testing your one rep max and lifting as heavy as you can for 4-6 out of the gate if you are new to lifting...

Visit a gym, talk with a trainer, learn the equipment, learn form, start lighter with high reps and have a structured plan to gradually increase weight each week, while you are decreasing reps until you are lifting within your target rep range.

Also I love running too, but I've had to sacrifice it more and more to go heavy on legs... Don't run everyday, consider reducing the volume and try to avoid it on leg day... Save your knees,
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone here who hates strength training like me? I just cannot get myself to do it! I love cardio, I run, I cycle and I Zumba but my record of strength is pathetic. Please inspire me.

I'm complete opposite hate being the mouse on the treadmill/elliptical. I feel can see real improvements with strength training and some satisfaction in it for me. But we are all different with different goals. Might just need to find program that fits you better doesn't have to be giant lifts even small dumbbells do a good job.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I used to.... I'm a runner and last year was plagued with injuries. Finally listened to my physio to do some strength training and now I follow a full body dumbbell routine 2 x a week.

It seems to have helped loads after only a couple of months
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I used to ... until I started seeing results. The day I deadlifted my own bodyweight I knew I was hooked :smiley:

I think I gave myself three months, and told myself if I didn't see any improvements and hated it after then I could quit. It might help you to pick a 12-week beginner program and commit to completing it. I bet when you start feeling strong you'll want to stick with it :smile:

It might also help you to think about why you don't like it, so you can find a way around it. Personally, I hated the rest periods. I started lifting with a friend, so it was more social, and now even when she's not around I don't mind the rest because I'm enjoying the rest of it.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I second picking an established beginning program (I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women). Get a training session or two to learn how to do the lifts in the program correctly/confidently (don’t let them make a program for you, give them what you have and say “I want to do this”—that way you’re good to go on your own) and commit to following it for 8-12 weeks. You might surprise yourself. I started seeing results in about 6-8 weeks and as I got more comfortable with lifting I enjoyed the little victories of moving up in weight or doing more reps.

As an unexpected bonus, I got way faster with less running! I was a 9:40-10 min/miler, now 8:30 is an easy run, 7:45 not too painful, and sub 6 min/mile pace for intervals. Anything over 9 feels like I’m walking, whereas I used to be gasping. I never in a million years thought my body could go that fast, save being chased by a bear.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner by design. I much prefer long slow runs that keep my heart rate at about 80 - 85% of my Max. I run every other day; I lift on the non-running days. Started with SL 5x5; modified it to get rid or rest periods and added additional lifts, sets, and reps. Am knowing starting a 3 month program designed for those of us over 40. I have found that weight training has benefited me in many ways including making me a better runner! Enjoy!!