Have you ever been catfished or catfished someone?

Options
ruffalicious
ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
Dating sites and apps has been popular for quite some time now and i, myself was a victim back in the day. just curious, have you been catfished or maybe catfished anyone?

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Will someone keep notes. Im off to bed and I've a feeling this maybe gone in the morning ;)
    Thanks
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I've been catfished many times. One had me going for a few months even. Sometimes I've went through the trouble of making a whole fake account with the idea of talking to an ex but I only got as far as sending a hello message and then deleting bc I figured wtf was I even doing?
  • ruffalicious
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    I set up another Facebook profile to send stuff to myself when I was into Facebook games. I used just a random pic of a girl. One of my guy friends (who used to be my crush, but he friendzoned me) sent my fake profile a friend request and a message saying how beautiful "I" was and that he'd like to talk with me blah blah blah. I was seriously tempted, but ignored it.

If I'm online dating and things move past a few days of chatting, I require a video chat. If they refuse, I bounce.

wow that's crazy! you probably look at him differently now lol I did the same thing, I made a fake guy Facebook account and my girlfriends started adding my fake account and flirting lol I was like nope this is not suppose to be for that
  • ruffalicious
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I’ve never done it myself, no idea if I’ve been subjected to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I met my now-husband online, through here on mfp actually.

aww that's fantastic! I met my husband thru eharmony and been married for 9 years now :) that's inspiring, not all online encounters were actually bad.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    I had someone recently attempt to catfish me.

some " freelance" model from cali.

she went through my pics, and sent me one of my dog sleeping on my lap and went " I wish this was me, hehe! "

I should just post the convo here... lol

tenor.gif?itemid=5107150
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I don't have the energy or time to create multiple accounts and try to catfish anyone. Maybe I'm just getting too old. I don't know (or honestly don't care) if it's happened to me.
  • jules159
    jules159 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been very lucky and so far everyone I've met online has been who they say they are. I have had a couple that apparently their pics were pretty old because they looked a lot different in person than their pictures.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    I'm catfishing everyone, I'm not even a lizard

94rnqd5kamdg.gif
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've never been knowingly catfished. But I have catfished people in the past, like my early 20s.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    There was some major drama at a message board I used to frequent, when we found out that a very "popular" member was totally fake. I was mostly amused, but a lot of people felt very betrayed and took it hard.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I did this once in high school in the late 90s. My bestie and I were fighting and I used a fake account/email to talk to him.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm catfishing everyone, I'm not even a lizard

Damn it. Now I am gonna have to rethink the lizard habitat I built for you in my basement.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    OMG, I almost forgot the craziest story.

When I was in graduate school, I had a close friend/classmate who suspected that her girlfriend was cheating on her, with me. She created a fake e-mail account and started sending me e-mails, pretending to be her girlfriend, to "break up" with me. Since I did NOT have any kind of relationship with the girlfriend other than general "friend of girlfriend" niceties, it was quite obvious what was going on, and all hell broke loose. Needless to say, our friendship was over, and her relationship with the girlfriend ended shortly thereafter, too. Idiot.