Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Best diet?

Hey everyone,
What food plan/diets have worked best for you?
Thanks, Charley

Replies

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Something that you can maintain and stick with, so basically most diets DON'T fit the bill. Look at it less of a diet and more nutrition. Eat healthier foods, healthier portions. Keep your calories slightly under your maintenance level. Basically burn more calories than you eat, CICO.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Hey everyone,
    What food plan/diets have worked best for you?
    Thanks, Charley

MFP default setting
    50%-20%-30% macro split works for me. The carbs fuel my intense swims.

CICO, and usually healthy food choices with a bit of fun foods like pizza, dark chocolate, worked in.

Previously my best WW program was the Momentum plan. Once they started adding free foods, I quit WW for good.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    I am happy everyone answered the samething, I was worried for a sec someone was going to sermon us on how carbs are bad and all the other nonsense I read in these forums.

Now you did it.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    I’ve lost weight several times and in many different ways. (3 babies :wink: ) I’ve truly found that what is best for my body and what actually lasts is losing weight slowly. My goals are set at losing a 1/2 pound a week. It is sustainable and I don’t end up binging from starvation. I’ve tried every diet plan imaginable, but what it truly boils down to is CICO. Best wishes! :smile:
  • KaitlynPeri
    KaitlynPeri Posts: 45 Member
    I may have the unpopular opinion here but I’ve found Keto to be the best WOE for me. As a recovering binge eater it’s the only plan that helped control my cravings.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Vaguely low-carb, because fats and proteins are more filling for me than carbs. When I eat delicious carbs all day I get hangry.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I may have the unpopular opinion here but I’ve found Keto to be the best WOE for me. As a recovering binge eater it’s the only plan that helped control my cravings.

Actually, the way you couched your answer is pretty popular here. If Keto works for you and helps you control your binges, then that is great and no one really can argue that. It just doesn't work for everyone is all.

I would hate Keto for me personally, but understand it does work for some.
  • ttapley81
    ttapley81 Posts: 2 Member
    Ketogenic for me. I stay away from sugar and bread. Lost 4 lbs the first week. Not hungry and feed great.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This old fashioned not very sexy thing called a balanced diet...my grandma used to talk about it all the time. Lots of veggies, some fruit, whole grains, legumes, potatoes and other root vegetables, proteins, good fats, etc...
    btcowboy wrote: »
    Something that you can maintain and stick with, so basically most diets DON'T fit the bill. Look at it less of a diet and more nutrition. Eat healthier foods, healthier portions. Keep your calories slightly under your maintenance level. Basically burn more calories than you eat, CICO.

Yup these right here!!^^
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This old fashioned not very sexy thing called a balanced diet...my grandma used to talk about it all the time. Lots of veggies, some fruit, whole grains, legumes, potatoes and other root vegetables, proteins, good fats, etc...

Usually, the answer is always the easiest one, but human beings love complicated diets like 'I need to restrict an entire macro/food/animal to lose weight because my body is different from everybody else' or 'After 8pm you gain fat'....but it's all about the most simplest things in life. The reason people are overweight is because they eat too much protein, carbs and/or fats combined which makes them become fat.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    The main things I've changed about my WOE since committing to weight-loss are:

1. Keep homemade desserts to 200 calories/serving or fewer. (And that leaves a wide range available, from mini-muffins topped with cinnamon sugar to sorbets, meringues, truffles, compots, cakes that aren't generally meant to be frosted—like apple cake, for example, fruits in syrup...
    2. If I don't have a way of ballparking the calories when I go out to eat, I generally (exceptions possible for rare special occasions) don't order it. Most cheese pizzas fall into the 220-280/slice range, so that or a veggie slice are good options for me, even if I'm not going to a restaurant listed in the database. But the cheese tortellini that comes to the table in a brimming over salad bowl and is served in pesto sauce? Pass.
    3. At first, all I cared about was hitting or coming within 100 calories of my daily goal. Eventually, I decided to focus on hitting my protein and iron targets and letting everything else fall where it falls. For me, that is generally moderate carbs and lower fat. I find that snacking on protein helps fill me up.
    4. I find I'm tending more toward snack food that helps me hit a target. So, string cheese, veggie dogs, Simply Protein chips, Fiber One bars... I have a bit of a salt tooth and I make room for popcorn, pop chips, or veggie straws, but because those are pretty much carbs and salt (nothing wrong with either, apart from their tendency to leave less room for the protein and iron goals I want to hit) with fewer nutrients for the calories, I've cut back on them. Not because I think they're "bad", but because I think other options may be better. But if I've hit my protein and iron, and want something salty and crunchy? Bring on the Popcorners!

Otherwise, I eat a mix of home-cooked meals and veggie convenience foods. I cook a lot from scratch. Or semi-scratch—how do you classify a sauce that uses canned diced tomatoes, or a stir-fry where you've diced up some commercially-prepared seasoned tofu and opened a bottle of sweet-and-sour sauce? I've dropped over 100 lbs since Oct 30, 2016 that way.