Cheated yesterday :( How to make up for it?

Options
How do I make up for eating over my calorie limit? I don't have time to exercise those calories off.

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    it is in the past let it go and start over
  • foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Take the excess calories, divide them by 7, and subtract them from every day the following week if you're trying to reach a goal, if not then don't worry about it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How far over? If it's more than a couple hundred I wouldn't worry about it. It's only one day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Log it, remember it and move on. Think about if there is a lesson you can learn, but don't dwell on it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    In situations like this I find it’s helpful to look at numbers. Is your goal to lose weight? What rate of loss did you choose? 1 lb/week? That means you have a 500 cal deficit built in each day, and a 3,500 cal deficit built into your week.

Now... how much over your calorie target did you go? Was it 3,500 calories over? If not, and if you’re goal is to lose 1lb/week, then you are still in a deficit. You didn’t ruin anything, and you’ll still lose weight this week.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Look at your weekly goal, not daily, you may not even be over for the week.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You make up for it by vowing to never cheat again. You can eat anything anytime as long as you account for it. Your body does either way.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Log it, and move on. Why did you cheat? Sometimes we get to restrictive and it can lead to "cheating"
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you went over. If it wasn't by much (say up to 500 cals) then its likely you wont have eaten over maintenance calories. Log it and move on.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Honestly... you get over it. Dieting, weight loss, healthy eating, exercising... whatever... it should all be a lifestyle change. Rather than focus on one day of indulging, consider what happened that maybe put you over your calorie limit. Was it diving into a bag of chips at the end of a long, stressful day? Was it a night out with friends? Did you throw too many condiments on a meal? There are a variety of reasons why we go over our calorie limits and one day shouldn't ruin your journey. Also, as other people added, how MUCH did you go over?

Exercise when you can, track what you eat, and remember that you're human. You aren't going to follow your calorie limits every single day, but what matters (for most of our bodies) is CICO. As long as over a week span, for example, you're expending more than you are taking in, you'll be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's one day...move on with your life. It's pretty irrelevant to the big picture. You have the rest of your life..
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's one day...move on with your life. It's pretty irrelevant to the big picture. You have the rest of your life..

However, just don't let "one day" become "everyday".
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tonight I’m eating pizza and ice cream. Tomorrow I’m going to walk a lot and not eat pizza or ice cream. It’s life, move on, it happens. As long as the majority of your days fit your calories, eat what you like and don’t waste time feeling guilty. You don’t need to exercise at all to lose weight. It’s all about calorie intake and balance.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Richbelle1 wrote: »
    How do I make up for eating over my calorie limit? I don't have time to exercise those calories off.

Log what you ate and move on.