Scared of the Weight Room

Options
Hey guys! I’ve been doing basic workouts for like 2 months now but I’m too the point that I want to try some weight training yet I’m so scared to try it. I go to a gym on my college campus and that means that the weight room is full of jocks and others with experience in the weight room. I’m scared to walk in with no idea of what I’m doing and embarrass myself.

I would love some advice, dos and don’t, and maybe some motivation for me to try it out!

Thank you and and feel free to add me as a friend!☺️

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are there any intro to weight room classes, either through the gym or in a formal phys Ed class? Are there staff who can orient you?
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It’s great that you want to challenge yourself. There is nothing to worry about. Weight rooms can feel intimidating. But people really are just focused on their own thing.

The MOST important thing is to be safe. That always starts with good technique. Please find someone that can walk you through the proper form for some basic exercises. Then start slow and low. It’s more important to develop proper technique in the beginning. Keep the weights low (light). Then slowly add weight as your body develops your strength.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. Before long you will be the experienced person helping another new person learn the ropes.

Enjoy.
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I second the idea to get a consultation. My local community centre gym offers free consultations with a trainer. I met with one and he developed a simple full-body weight training routine I can do, and showed me how to use the equipment properly to do it.
    As I progress I'll probably get another session with a trainer for a more advanced routine, but for right now, it has made a huge difference in my gym-confidence to know that I'm doing a good workout, properly.
  • Cassidy95c
    Cassidy95c Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same!! I just have to tell myself whenever I get the chance on non crowded days they once didn’t know what they were doing too and used to look like me at one point and that we’re all human beings so it’s totally normal lol... I’m still a newbie but this what I think everytime I get the chance to use those beast machines hahah
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Read the pinned post called Most Helpful Posts. :+1:
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this! I also work out in a college rec center and everyone is 20 years younger than me! Plus when I started lifting weights in the weight room I had to lift really light weights and work my way up slowly so I felt dumb. But it truly doesn't matter - no one cares what you're lifting I promise. Don't take more equipment than you need for your next exercise (like don't be that girl who takes the 5 pound weights the 10 pound weights the 15 pound weights and the 20 pound curl bar over to the corner and keeps it all over there for 45 minutes - just take the weights you need for your next exercise and then put it back). If you aren't sure about something ask about it at the desk. Use the little pins on the free weights to keep them in place. Stay out of the way of people doing heavy lifts. After a couple of weeks you will feel like you belong, and if you go at the same time regularly you will know the other regulars and have little nicknames for them in your head! I wonder what they call me! Old sweaty lady, maybe!
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I find the more often I go, the more comfortable I feel. It helps to have a set plan and to know what I can do-instead of trying to do what I see others doing.
  • GuineaKitty
    GuineaKitty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was scared the 1st few days in the weight room and still am when I join the a new gym. I tapped it down and go in. Most guys are nice in the weight room and help will adjust weights on machines. I have no upper body strength and usually use 1/4 of what they use.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have found that the guys in the weight room are very nice and helpful. I often have to ask for help, I’m short and can’t reach to change the bar on the last pull down for example, but anybody I have asked for help has been happy to do so and I’ve had so much encouragement from them
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    rgraver00 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I’ve been doing basic workouts for like 2 months now but I’m too the point that I want to try some weight training yet I’m so scared to try it. I go to a gym on my college campus and that means that the weight room is full of jocks and others with experience in the weight room. I’m scared to walk in with no idea of what I’m doing and embarrass myself.

I would love some advice, dos and don’t, and maybe some motivation for me to try it out!

Thank you and and feel free to add me as a friend!☺️

I find it helpful to watch youtube vids of the type of workout you want to do then you have an idea of what to do!!♡
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I workout at a YMCA, and everyone looks like they know what they’re doing and I’m very much a beginner (like, 10 workouts in 6 months. Slow start).

If you can do I session with a trainer or gym employee that’s a really good suggestion. At least try to learn who those people are, in case you see them around and have a quick question.

Most people are very nice. If you need help adjusting something or something, most people will be glad to help. And don’t feel the need to fake confidence or competence - I’ve found people are more willing to help if it’s obvious that you’re knew to it and a bit confused and out of place.

I find the machines and body weight exercises easier to start with. The machine guides you, and you can watch other people to figure out how to use it. I stick to things where you adjust the weight with the pin. Barbells and dumbbells still
    scare me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Are you on a program that calls for free weights? If so, just go in and do them. If not, what is it you want to do in the weight room? Google those lifts you want to do so you know how to do them, and go do a few sets of them with light weights, and you will see that no one will even notice you. You'll build confidence each time and see that the weight room isn't scary at all. Make sure you have a plan what you are going to do and stick to your plan.
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I would go to the fitness center at work and intentionally workout on the other side (there is a wall down the middle) just so the jocks couldn't see me. But now are all all buddies and they help me out.

So. Start out by asking. The guys at the fitness center are probably the best friends that I have now. :)
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I promise there will be plenty of guys willing to help. you'll be a pro weight-lifter before ya know it.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I second the ... no one cares or will pay attention to what you are doing unless you are making a big deal of it. As someone suggested don't take too many weights at a time. Make sure to wipe any equipment down that you used. If someone is lifting in front of the mirror to watch their form, don't walk in front of them. Please don't be on your phone talking or texting while on equipment. Take your weights and move to an open part of the gym, too many times I see people grab their dumbbells and start working out right in front of the weight rack, so no one can get in to get weights! I learned a lot by watching videos(be careful there's a lot of crap advice out there too) and watching some of the fit people in the gym. I've also asked questions. Most people that lift weights would love to talk to you about it!! Your gym may even offer an orientation, a trainer will teach you how to use the equipment. Remember everyone was new at one point!! Have fun!!!!
  • jenandjoon
    jenandjoon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I’ve heard so many of my friends tell me this exact same thing. They were scared. When I first started I took a friend. That way we both were learning together and could look like idiots and laugh about it. It helped so much. And through trial and error we figured it out and I’m now confident enough to go by myself.
  • priyaananth
    priyaananth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey anyone here who hates lifting weights? I am not scared as much as I dislike it. I love to cycle, run, Zumba and weights is so boring for me. I struggle with it everyday. I know it needs to be done but any tips on how I can motivate myself?
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    at the gym everyone is into just one thing THEMSELVES and what they are doing.
    get yourself a few sessions to get familiar with the equipment and are on the way