London Riots & London Town

Options
So, the last few days have been quite hard. The riots in London have been almost on my doorstep, and I have spent the last few days having to run home asap (Zumba cancelled, Boot Camp cancelled, Gym closed early).

I've then spent the nights lying awake:
a) frantically watching my home town and my friends' and family's home town going up in flames
b) being kept awake by the police sirens and helicopters all. night. long.

Yesterday was frightening. I had to walk home through gangs of kids and then watch from home what they were doing to the places I go to all the time.

Today, everybody was just worried about getting home safe ASAP. All the shops shut early. The supermarkets were boarded up. It was literally like a war zone.

I purposely ate "comfort food" today. I don't struggle to eat healthily, my natural favourite food is salad. I love making veg soups and stews.

But today... I sat in my home, in my PJ's, heard from all my friends, and ate crisps and potato salad and lots of cups of tea.

I have been so inspired by the community spirit of my fellow Londoners, I just wanted to say "Thank You"... I still ♥ London.

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hope all goes well for you! :flowerforyou:

Good job for being so brave
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That has got to be so very scary! Especially so close! Hang in there!
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I've been seeing the news and it's terrible! I'm glad that you and your friends/family are safe. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!
  • jodieh06
    jodieh06 Posts: 49
    Options
    Love this :) hoping everything calms down for you soon x
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My prayers go out to the people in London, I've been seeing the riots on Google, and they look soo scary!! You all stay safe out there, not really sure what to tell ya....I would be so scared and in my room the whole time too=( Hope it all ends soon so that everyone can get back to their regular routines! =D
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Will keep you and your fellow Londoners in my thoughts! Stay safe!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    So sorry that this is happening to you and your community. Keeping you in my prayers, keep safe.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey, I know its not easy being in London right now! I'm meant to be coming down to visit my bf tomorrow but he's told me that he's gonna come see me instead.

Hopefully it'll all be over soon.

Dont worry about the comfort food we all need it from time to time.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my week. Had to pass througb Peckham on my way home yesterday - very scary. No sleep last night, gym closed at 3pm today and was shut yesterday :grumble:

There are masses of police out tonight though so I think things'll be back to normal tomorrow
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    We will keep you in our prayers that it will be over soon.
    Please be careful and stay safe.
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The riots have now hit Manchester they are quickly becoming the 'uk riots' these people are unbelievable. Dread going into the city tomorrow and seeing what's left.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Im only now hearing about it, Im going to london in 3 weeks what is it about?
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's been horrendous to watch - let alone be caught up in. I feel so much for you and all those people in the middle of it all. It must be awful for you seeing all the mindless actions going on around you, affecting all the innocent people around.

I have been so angry and upset watching it all. I only hope the worst is over now and that people can begin to rebuild their businesses, homes and lives.

Stay safe:flowerforyou:

Sarah xx
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I live in the second area affected, Enfield. It was pretty scary on Sunday night but it's all calmed down now. Thanks are owed to our extraordinary police force and other emergency services.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what is happening in this world today. God help us all.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Very scary times we're all living in. To everyone in the UK right now, stay safe! :heart: My thoughts are with you.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Im only now hearing about it, Im going to london in 3 weeks what is it about?

Really? Do some research. It's ALL over every front page paper in the world right now, pretty much. Check CNN.com or Google News. There are riots all over the UK right now with lots of looting, burning, and destruction.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank You to everyone.

I've been genuinely overwhelmed by the concern and support that has been shown by people over the last few days.

I've also had a few messages asking me why I am worrying about my diet at a time like this... the answer is "I'm not"!!!

... I'm just aware that 100 people can look at my diary and rather than make them wonder why I am gorging on tea and potato salad I would just explain :)

To those of you worried about coming to London, please don't be. It's been so frightening because it's SO new to us. This doesn't happen here. There's no real rhyme or reason behind it, most of it has been senseless. I work in the heart of London and the thing that strikes me every day is that we still see tourists, they are not scared, they are heading out with their families and making the most of the City.

Last night it was a lot quieter. The huge police presence seems to have worked. Today was a gloriously sunny day and we are heading out for a drink to enjoy our City again.

To the rest of the UK, please don't worry either. You have some mindless "copycats" who will also disappear soon enough.

If you haven't seen or heard of the way Londoners have rallied against this behaviour and reclaimed our streets, here is an article on the Broom Armies that are springing up. It's so gloriously British :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14475741

xx