Cardio that isn't running

Options
2»

Replies

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    jellis432 wrote: »
    I do hike a fair amount when the weather is suitable, but those days have been few and far between recently.

and I always forget about kettlebell swings! I'll definitely have to try to add those in! Thanks!

The Swedish say "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes"... In the past five years, I've walked, hiked, and run in weather that I used to deem inclement... it's just a matter of learning to dress for the weather.

It was really my only option, because I didn't really like going to the gym, but I can honestly say that there have only been a relative handful of days that I thought the weather 'too bad' to be outside (generally when the trails are iced over) and only then do I look to the gym for refuge.

Good luck!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Play a sport! Tennis, basketball, volleyball, soccer, all good cardio activities that make you forget you're doing cardio.

Those activities/sports involve pounding on hard surface and running; two things that the OP can't do. They are also mostly outdoors, and summer or good weather activities, and the OP seems to live in a cold region.

@jellis432 Ask your doctor for an Xray of your feet and maybe a referral to a podiatrist. Don't let that problem go unattended for too long.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights for about 2 months and am LOVING IT and am looking to add in some cardio to my routine. My gym is pretty limited on equipment; we have 2 treadmills, an elliptical, weights, and hardly any room. Not to mention I absolutely DESPISE running. So if anyone has some fun, non-running cardio that I can do with limited space/equipment, I'd love your suggestions :smile:

Walking has always been my thing. The last year or so I've taken up running but I'm not "good" at it. Not sure I ever will be "good" at it. But, for cardio I tend to do circuit training mixed with walking/running in the warmer months, and in the winter I'll use my Bowflex Max trainer (sort of like an elliptical). So half of my workout is circuit training which is a mix of body weight training and free weights. I do higher reps (around 10-12) with less than 60 seconds rest between exercises. Generally I'll walk/pace/or do whatever I can to keep my heart rate elevated during my rest sessions (which honestly are usually in the 10-15 second range). I go from one muscle group to another to give one group time to rest while I work another. So it goes like 1 set of pushups, 1 set of pull ups, 1 set of dips, then 1 set of squats, 1 set of crunches, 1 set of side crunches, then back to 1 set of pushups, 1 set of pull ups, 1 set of dips. Then after I've gone through 2-3 circuits of body weight training I'll switch to my bench and use free weights for 1 set of flys, 1 set of bench press, 1 set of skull crushers, 1 set of bench press (with weights together instead of apart). Anyway you get the idea. Once i've done at least one set of the free weights decline, I'll go flat, then incline. Once that's done I'll switch to the floor and do core work, crunches, side crunches, planks, pushups, leg lifts, wipers, etc. to finish out the workout. If you keep rest to a minimum you can keep your heart rate elevated and you get the benefit of a good full body workout and cardio. If you don't like running you can try power walking or speed walking. You can burn just about the same calories doing that as you can running, sometimes more because it takes you longer to go the same distances.

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Jump rope
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    I failed to mention in my original post that I live in an EXTREMELY rural place, so a lot of things I would typically look to do for cardio aren't really an option here. It also has stupid weather and is really freaking cold in the winter and really freaking hot in the summer, so while I get outside when I can, it's nice to have options to do inside for when the weather makes me want to die :smile:

Same here. Rural, not many options. Winters suck, so I'm stuck inside. It's why I bought my machine, it's been worth it to have it for the Winter. Gets used very little in the summer because we have a nice park with a walking path that is about 5 miles long round trip. Good for walking/running/etc. But in the winter.. I'll pass.. I hate the cold. Hard core runners and walkers will be outside in special winter workout gear but not me lol. I'll be inside doing my circuit training looking out the window toasty warm lol.

• makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @Spliner1969 so glad we're on the same page with that, haha. I work for a NP so in the summer I'm plenty active but the winter leaves me feeling like a potato.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    OP: IMO, the best choice in your situation would be rowing.

It can provide you w/a full body workout and as much aerobic effect as you want or are capable of enduring w/o putting undue pressure on your feet.

If you have a open 3x9' area in your house and $945 that you can spare, that's all you'd to buy one and exercise anytime 24/7.

If you don't have that, then look for a gym that has a, rower that you can use. It really is the best choice, given your foot problem.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio but also need to lose weight while I'm building muscle, so I do it. I hate it the least when I do it all in Tabata rounds. I use mostly the elliptical in Tabata but I'll mix it up with (modified) jumping jacks (because I don't jump, or run), lightweight kettlebell swings, step ups, or if I really feel like going for the gusto, crunches/sit ups.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

a. Cycling. Get a bicycle and ride outside. :)

b. Drink a bit more water to ward off the cramping feet.

I have tried EVERYTHING for the feet. Drinking more water, getting special insoles, stretching daily...literally nothing has helped. I have NO idea what the problem is.

I started following my diet to monitor my electrolyte intake, BC I had foot cramps while swimming. I found I had a running potassium deficit --correcting that drastically reduced the cramping incidence. Worked for me.

I was just about to recommend some potassium, and some magnesium. GMTA!
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Mountain biking, road cycling, kayaking are great outdoor cardio activities. If you want to stay in the gym try rowing. Change your grip from close to wide grip to work different muscles while getting your cardio in at the same time.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    OP please don't get a potassium supplement unless monitored by a doctor. In the wrong amount potassium can disrupt your heart rate and that is more dangerous that cramping feet. V8 vegetable juice has a nice amount of potassium and if you are concerned or need to be concerned about the sodium you can get low sodium V8. It is also a good way to get your daily vegetables.
    Please search for food high in potassium (bananas, oranges, etc.) to incorporate in your diet, and Tonic water is also good for cramping (quinine). I believe that it is now a light version as well.
  • kellynrwood
    kellynrwood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Biking. I am a big runner, but due to back surgery I can only do about 15 miles a week, which means I have to find cross training to make up the difference. I started doing the recumbent bike when I was pregnant, and I can't believe how much it has improved my strenght in my legs and my run time. I have to do the recumbent bike due to my back, but the upright bike is great too (might need to invest in some bike shorts if you are bony).
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    OP please don't get a potassium supplement unless monitored by a doctor. In the wrong amount potassium can disrupt your heart rate and that is more dangerous that cramping feet. V8 vegetable juice has a nice amount of potassium and if you are concerned or need to be concerned about the sodium you can get low sodium V8. It is also a good way to get your daily vegetables.
    Please search for food high in potassium (bananas, oranges, etc.) to incorporate in your diet, and Tonic water is also good for cramping (quinine). I believe that it is now a light version as well.

Agreed. Always best to get potassium from food. There are plenty of potassium-rich foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc. Google a list. Beans are another good source.

Start tracking your sodium, keep it under control and eat potassium-rich foods and unless your doctor tells you to take a supplement, don't. I, however, do take magnesium and zinc, vitamin C, and Fish Oil. The Fish Oil, Magnesium, and Zinc can all help with cramps. I have a previous injury in my back which has left some nerve damage, and occasionally I will get leg cramps if I've aggravated that injury. The Magnesium and Zinc helps quite a bit. Go easy on them, no more than the recommended dose, but give it a try at night and see if they help. Magnesium also has the benefit of helping you get better sleep.
  • Horndave22
    Horndave22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    best thing in rural SD is to learn how to crosscountry ski or take a walk in snowshoes in the winter.
  • DanielleMackay2015
    DanielleMackay2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would say swimming because you can go your own pace and you hit so many different muscles.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell Deep 6 complex. It'll be fun they said....