Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Options
I've been doing some research online, trying to find a concise set of exercises (ideally in a program format) to address anterior pelvic tilt.

I've found plenty of sites that give a list exercises and stretches, but none that put them in an easy-to-digest program-style set-up. I can put some together and give it a try, but figured I'd ask first to see if anyone has a specific plan for what worked for them.

Has anyone here successfully addressed anterior pelvic tilt? What exercise/stretching program did you follow to do so?

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    It's a work in progress for me right now. Try a yoga program that focuses on increasing flexibility in the hip flexors and spine. And core workouts to help hold the posture in place. I lack inspiration for workouts so I use the skimble app (workout trainer). I can select a workout and it has step by step instructions on how to perform my selected workout.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying pilates classes

^^ This....
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @eptanubrata

Primarily it's the impact on posture that bothers me personally; I hate looking in the mirror because of how it affects my posture. A close second in motivation to address my APT is my desire to work towards better form in the gym during various exercises. I haven't experienced any pain that I would associate with APT (yet).

My hip flexors have always been very tight, I'm flat-footed, and my job mostly consists of sitting in the office - all factors that, from what I can tell, contribute to APT. I realize that getting a standing desk may help, but in the mean time, I'm hoping to add some additional stretching/exercises to my workout schedule to start combatting it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Tight quads contribute to anterior pelvic tilt.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have APT, but I definitely have a pelvic injury from a botched surgery I had in 2010. It's been a complete bear, and the ONLY thing I have found to open up the hip flexor's and keep the injury (as well as my CNS) happy, is to stretch, and stretch and stretch and stretch, on the floor and on a pilates arc (it's about $120.00).
    The floor stretches are from a book, called: "Heal Pelvic Pain" which has a LOT of stretches in it, to open up the hip flexor's.
    As others have said, tho, getting the abs really strong, will help keep the tilt from getting worse.
    I also have scoliosis, and the ONLY thing for that, once again, is stretching. I need someone to special build me one of those stretching machines they used to use, to torture people. lol.
    For now, I have another pilate's option, which is called: The Pilates Reform bar. Yea, Joseph Pilates was a hands down, genius! That DOES come with a workout poster.
    In order to work the core, those blow up balls are really helpful(fun, too!); I have several, and most come with a 'routine' included.
    Good luck.
  • justlog
    Options
    I don't have APT but I do sit all day (and have for decades) at a desk job and have super tight hips among many other posture related issues.

A huge focus of Pilates is about restoring proper spine alignment and strengthening the muscles that support the system. You may want to explore available options on apparatuses such as the pilates arc, barrel, reformer and even many exercises using a mat.

I began Pilates last year under the guidance of a certified classical Pilates instructor and it has made an enormous difference in my overall flexibility (especially my hips and back) and has increased my daily focus on my posture, etc... I now do a Pilates session almost daily in my home gym.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    rckeeper22 wrote: »
    I hate looking in the mirror because of how it affects my posture.

Can you correct your posture while looking in the mirror?
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @justlog and @MonaRaeHill

It's funny you guys mention pilates. I went to a "fitness crawl" today that consisted of four 30-minute workouts for yoga, pilates, barre, and cycling at businesses that were all along the same block. The pilates kicked my butt! It was just the right mix of terrible and wonderful to make me consider going back again. Your advice seals the deal that I'll give a full class a try.

@Cherimoose

Yep, I can correct it by engaging my glutes, abs, and quads; mostly glutes, or at least that's how it feels. I'm going to try and be more mindful whenever I'm standing, but would like to add a few stretches or exercises to my routine that will help strengthen the proper muscles and encourage my body to adopt the correct position more naturally.
  • justlog
    Options
    rckeeper22 wrote: »
    @justlog and @MonaRaeHill

It's funny you guys mention pilates. I went to a "fitness crawl" today that consisted of four 30-minute workouts for yoga, pilates, barre, and cycling at businesses that were all along the same block. The pilates kicked my butt! It was just the right mix of terrible and wonderful to make me consider going back again. Your advice seals the deal that I'll give a full class a try.

@Cherimoose

Yep, I can correct it by engaging my glutes, abs, and quads; mostly glutes, or at least that's how it feels. I'm going to try and be more mindful whenever I'm standing, but would like to add a few stretches or exercises to my routine that will help strengthen the proper muscles and encourage my body to adopt the correct position more naturally.

Excellent.. What types of things did they have you doing?? There are a few excellent Pilates resources for doing things at home. Let me know if you are interested.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've started doing Pilates in an attempt to correct my APT too, but my gym only has one class a week so I'm looking for something to do on my own (in addition to my other workouts). From what I read, the best way to correct it is the strengthen your core and your glutes, I have a pretty strong core as it stands but I know my glute activation is poor so I think that's where I need to focus more energy. Let us know if you find something that really helps!
  • justlog
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I've started doing Pilates in an attempt to correct my APT too, but my gym only has one class a week so I'm looking for something to do on my own (in addition to my other workouts). From what I read, the best way to correct it is the strengthen your core and your glutes, I have a pretty strong core as it stands but I know my glute activation is poor so I think that's where I need to focus more energy. Let us know if you find something that really helps!

Pilates can most certainly be done at home. It can be require as little as a mat or can go up to a Cadillac and/or Reformer (plus other options).

I do mat almost daily.

I also do reformer and use a spine corrector about 4x per week. Neither of these are "required" but offer additional opportunities.

Some food for thought:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE018HYqqEM&list=PL21E032C7A15912CA&index=6
    -
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ6cRO1Fiyg&list=PL21E032C7A15912CA&index=2
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    saragd012 wrote: »

Pilates can most certainly be done at home. It can be require as little as a mat or can go up to a Cadillac and/or Reformer (plus other options).

I do mat almost daily.

I also do reformer and use a spine corrector about 4x per week. Neither of these are "required" but offer additional opportunities.

Thank you so much for this information. I currently do Insanity and T-25 at home, I'll look into working more of these things in too!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Every time I would sit at the dinner table my mother would screech at me:

Shoulders down. Tilt your pelvis back!!!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had APT, and found that yoga was very helpful. For one thing, there are movements on the mat which help press your spine flat on the floor. Also, laying on my back with knees bent and raising the pelvis helped. I also had a sway back, and after a year of yoga heard two vertebrae "clunk", which I was told was my body realigning the spine. It eliminated pain and my sway back is gone! Although I absolutely HATE core exercises, I believe that strengthening my stomach muscles helped, too. Finally, I took a BodyPump class which incorporated a lot of squats. I asked the instructor to show me proper form. Once I started doing them right, I think my hamstrings improved in range of motion and strength. I've also tried to be more mindful of walking with my shoulders back and "walking tall". Good luck, I hope these suggestions help you!