Is it healthy to....

Options
I've got a crazy goal in mind for how much weight I want to lose before my 21st birthday. I'm turning the big 2-1 on December 6th of this year. Just a little background, I'm 5'5 and unfortunately had to take on a desk job last October to make more money for college thus making me less active than I was this time last year. What I want to know is, is it healthy for me to lose 32 pounds in 16 weeks?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    32 lbs in 16 weeks? Sounds like 2 lbs a week, so yea. That can be done. The way I'm eating now I general lose that much. But it's going to take a bit before you're used to eating that much less than you're used to.
  • amandarada
    amandarada Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've got a crazy goal in mind for how much weight I want to lose before my 21st birthday. I'm turning the big 2-1 on December 6th of this year. Just a little background, I'm 5'5 and unfortunately had to take on a desk job last October to make more money for college thus making me less active than I was this time last year. What I want to know is, is it healthy for me to lose 32 pounds in 16 weeks?

Thats 2lb a week which is healthy weight loss and very do-able
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That is the most I would suggest to lose while staying healthy. Anything more than 2 pounds/week is not ideal.
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is what is considered healthy weight loss....so yeah....losing 32 pounds in 16 weeks would not be a very healthy thing to do.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    they do say that 2lbs a week loss, unless you have a big amount to lose, is the higest recommended loss. so 32lbs over 16 weeks is 2lbs a week, so you should be good. though the cl;oser to your goal you get, the harder it is to lose. it certainly can't hurt to try :) gl!
  • RFEndemann
    Options
    Definitely doable, but realize that 2 lbs per week is ideal - you may have plateau's. The important thing is that you stick with it through them.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    up to two lbs a week is considered healthy, 1 lb per week is ideal. What I would recommend is striving for the 2 lbs a week but also reducing your processed foods and sodium so that you arent retaining water or bloating to automatically help with appearing smaller Toning/strength training during that will also help with inches falling off even if the lbs dont budge as much
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That sounds doable, as long as you do it the healthy way: by exercising and eating the recommended daily calories.
  • OnCmommy
    OnCmommy Posts: 40
    Options
    Very do-able IF you work HARD. Also, you have to expect a week when you don't lose, even if you've been amazing. Getting close to your goal shouldn't be a problem. I would make your goal at least 1/2 of what you want to finally reach, because unrealistic goals become overwhelming & won't work.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    What's your start weight?

Maybe it can be done, but doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
    Take it from someone who has been battling her weight her whole life.
    Drastic changes like that just screw up your metabolism, make you more likely to gain back and make it harder to take off again down the road... like say... when you MY age and there are health reason to consider. (I know it seems like forever.... and as all old people say it's the blink of an eye.)

Good Lord I'm such a down. I just want you to be safe and happy for a long, long L O N G time to come.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose, if you're 100 lbs over weight it will be a lot easier to keep the momentum and lose that much in 16 weeks, if you only have 32 to lose its going to become increasingly harder to get your body to let go of that extra weight as you near your goal. BUT on the bright side as far as time and amount, its totally doable :) Good luck! and happy pre-bday!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's definitely do-able, but it's not going to be super easy. You got to have serious dedication and work really hard toward it everyday!! Best of luck to ya!!!!
  • RhaneBow
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's opinions. To answer auntiebabs question, my starting weight is 190. I hit 200 when I graduated high school back in 2009 and then lost 25 pounds that summer, only to gain it back once the school year started and I wasn't working as much. My goal is to finally fit back into my size 9 jeans from Freshman year and currently I'm in a 13-15 depending on the style/brand. I'm glad this doesn't sound too crazy to most of you and I can't wait to get back to it in the morning! :bigsmile:
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i lost 32 lbs in 23 weeks :S. but i had some setbacks. if you stay on plan at all times you should be able to lose that much. good luck. and yes, it's healthy. i was averaging 2lbs a week. then i stopped and now i'm back a 2lbs a week. hope you can do it!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Your body will not lose weight on a "schedule". It will lose according to how your metabolism will allow and the combination of making healthy choices. Yes, set your ideal goals but do not set yourself up for failure.
  • pnwgirl1963
    pnwgirl1963 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Heck ya!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's more than fine. Just eat a lot of protein to maintain muscle as much as possible.

In my opinion, the weight loss itself isn't what makes it healthy or unhealthy, it's how you lose weight.

f you just starve yourself to get that loss then it's not healthy, but if you eat plenty of healthy foods and do some exercise (without killing yourself), and lose 30lbs, I think that there wouldn't be a problem.

Depending on what your starting weight is, that could be a pretty darn lofty goal though. My biggest concern would be that you would get discouraged if the weight doesn't come off as quickly as you hope (that's a lot of weight to lose in that amount of time by doing it healthy).