Salad Dressing tidbit

Options
Salads are healthy eating, but the downfall can be the salad dressing that heaps on the calories if not used in moderation.

This tip, I read somewhere (not my own idea). Anyway, keep dressing in separate ramekin or something. Dip your fork in the dressing then dip fork into salad and bite. Doing so you get a taste of dressing with each bite. You will be surprised how much little dressing you used, yet feel satisfied with taste buds.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    i put my salad on the scale, pour on tbe amount i want, put a lid on it and shake the hell out of it...full coverage.

Same. I'm not a big lettuce fan anyway, so if I'm having a salad I want every leaf dressed because the dressing is the best part.
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've found several great salad dressings that are only 40 calories per serving, so I have 2 servings of them and still keep my meal on track.
    In particular, I like Paul Newman's Sesame Ginger and Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut, Cilantro Lime and Champagne Pear vinaigrette dressings.

Add the maple farms dressings to that list at around 35 calories a serving they have cranberry, raspberry, poppy seed, and wasabi dijon.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I make my dressing and use the amount I want (usually it's about the amount of olive oil I use, everything else is low cal), and then -- as others said -- shake it up.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    any ideas for some delicious low cal, low fat dressings? I have a restricted fat allowance. Also, please let me know how to store and how long it can be stored. thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Vinegar -- own its own (balsamic) or with mustard (red wine vinegar mixes well).
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I do not like soggy salads. I use very little dressing, which is low calorie. I add apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar and a lot of seasoning and I am good.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its the dressing that makes the salad imo, I weigh/measure a portion and its never over 50 cals and very worth it.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    rbkelsey wrote: »
    Salads are healthy eating, but the downfall can be the salad dressing that heaps on the calories if not used in moderation.

This tip, I read somewhere (not my own idea). Anyway, keep dressing in separate ramekin or something. Dip your fork in the dressing then dip fork into salad and bite. Doing so you get a taste of dressing with each bite. You will be surprised how much little dressing you used, yet feel satisfied with taste buds.

I do this if I am at a restaurant but at home (I rarely have salads at home) I use lower cal dressing and weigh it.

• roroinco
    roroinco Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really like Ken's Lite Northern Italian Dressing. It's 45 cals. I'm not a fan of vinegar so this suits me better.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    any ideas for some delicious low cal, low fat dressings? I have a restricted fat allowance.
    The deliciousness of a food is often from the fat, and dietary fat is essential, in itself, as well as for vitamin absorbsion. If you haven't already, investigate if fat restriction is necessary - if weightloss (and general improvement of health) is your goal, an overall reduction in calories is what you need. You reduce calories (and fat) by reducing amounts (many different approaches, described in detail). Your fat allowance is for the whole day. Spend it as you see fit. Sometimes some of it can be salad dressing.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I make my own and add a recipe in MFP, then I know whats in it and more importantly whats not
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    btcowboy wrote: »
    I make my own and add a recipe in MFP, then I know whats in it and more importantly whats not

Yes that is a good strategy for when one is at home.

OP's strategy is quite useful for eating out - just request dressing separate on the side and use sparingly.
    One can request same for things like gravy, hollandaise sauce etc too