Feeling good about not meeting goals.

Options
goatg
goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
edited March 2018 in Success Stories
Last night I went out and, after a very responsible day, drank and ate 1000 calories over my goal intake (approximately maintenance for me). Usually this would be a trigger for me. This morning I logged in, looked at the red "-1004," and laughed.

This morning I feel famished and it's a large training day so I'm not denying myself a larger-than-normal, yet still responsible, breakfast. I've been doing well and I've never treated my nutrition so lovingly: I've switched over to organic in foods I perceive as more susceptible to inorganic compounds; I have committed myself to a nutrition plan created for my individual training and weight loss goals; I balance nutrition with pleasure (I will consume a recovery shake I despise post training to give my body what it needs, yet won't deny myself a special evening); I take care to consume proper amounts of nutrients that are specifically important for my needs; I remind myself of how incredible working bodies are and look at every bite as nourishment.

Being able to log in and see a big, bold, red negative number and laugh represents a hugely healthy shift in my relationship with food. A small variation in the number on a scale day-to-day, week-to-week, is so small in the grand scheme of making long-term changes to lead a healthier (and happier) lifestyles.

What triggers have you overcome? What were you surprised by? Do you think MFP helped you overcome this? How has your attitude changed since embarking on your journey?

Replies

• eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I saw a big red today, so jumped on the elliptical trainer to get myself back in the green - so I am not quite as Zen about it as you ... yet!

By doing the "10 days at a time rounds" I have become better at seeing the scales stagnate for a while, because I know if I am eating well and meeting my nutritional goals - then I feel there is a whoosh coming. It means my focus is shifting away from the numbers on the scale and more toward long term thinking and toward nutrition and health.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've learned I can have that pizza or fries and a few drinks (but not all at the same time) AND still loose weight.

As long as I'm logging it, acknowledging it and trying like heck to make it fit into my plan - Yay MFP !!

• shan_reg
    shan_reg Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I've learned I can have that pizza or fries and a few drinks (but not all at the same time) AND still loose weight.

As long as I'm logging it, acknowledging it and trying like heck to make it fit into my plan - Yay MFP !!

This!!! Agree wholeheartedly with this. I’ve done a weekly “cheat meal” my entire weight loss journey. I believe it has helped keep me focused and on track. Further I think it’s helped me become sooooo much less likely to binge (though binging was never really my thing) due to depriving myself of those things.
  • Matt151288mfp
    Matt151288mfp Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    shan_reg wrote: »
    bikecheryl wrote: »

This!!! Agree wholeheartedly with this. I’ve done a weekly “cheat meal” my entire weight loss journey. I believe it has helped keep me focused and on track. Further I think it’s helped me become sooooo much less likely to binge (though binging was never really my thing) due to depriving myself of those things.
    Agreed! Lol instead of cheat days n binging like I used to I just put in few sweet treats with each meal etc helps me stay in the zone plus been type 1 diabetic binging was destroying me I am 4 weeks currently with no falling of the wagon just 8 weeks dieting to go lol :smiley:
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    one day is just one day nothing to get upset about, unfortunately we are not perfect and striving to be makes you crazy anyways, enjoy life and all it has.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I haven't cheated in a long while, but my next strategy when it happens is to eat something healthy afterwards like fresh veggies or something even if I have to choke it down. That way the last thing that went into my mouth was something that's part of my plan to achieve my goals and means I'm back on track. I won't go to bed being "off the rails". The way my crazy mind operates...I think it's a sound strategy.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I credit MFP posters with offering me perspective. My doctor prescribed the guidelines, I committed, but reading Success Stories daily reminds me that weight loss is not linear and this is my new way of life. I enjoy reading others’ successes and strategies. You’re not here when I prep my food selections, but everything you’ve experienced now guides me and I am grateful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!