Anyone Here Do Lots of Lifting without Protein Shakes

Options
for_ever_young66
for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to preface by saying that I have nothing against protein shakes or people that drink them. I love lifting, whether it's free weights, machines, cables or just using my own body weight. However, I have not developed any kind of urge to drink protein shakes or to go shopping for protein powder. I also use no supplements. I'd rather get my protein from eating "real food." Any one else out there like me in that regard?

For those who do drink protein shakes, what benefits do you derive from drinking them?

Thanks for stopping by.

Jason

Replies

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink protein shakes. Sometimes I will make a protein pancake with protein powder. The only supplements I take are a multi vitamin and vitamin D 2000 units. I lift 4 days a week.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've started drinking protein shakes because over the course of the last couple of years of tracking macros, I often struggled to hit my protein goal. As I've just started lifting I decided I should try and get more serious about that. I looked at what I could add to my diet and concluded that shakes were the easiest way to hit my goal and stay in a deficit. I don't see one being better or more virtuous than the other, honestly, it's just whatever works best for your own needs.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I make a shake every day because it's the only palatable way for me to take creatine.
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    for the first time i am bulking now without any supplements except L- creatin. its working perfect with me.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    No I have to use protein powder otherwise I come up very short on meeting my protein goals.
    I try to get there by eating alone but still fall short so I use the powder to fill in the gaps.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I wakeup 4:00 am, lift, shower and rush out to make it to work ontime. earliest time i can eat is 9 am. No time for anything before that, other that protein shake i sip on during workout. And as others mentioned, to hit my protein macro
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My purpose in drinking protein shakes and/or drinks and/or eating protein bars and/or cookies (all of which I comsume at various times) is simply to increase my protein intake to the desired level when "real" food is insufficient.

The "desired level" in my case is 0.8-1.2g protein/# BW which is currently about 125-186g/day or about 500-744 cals/day or about 30-34% of my diet depending on my gross caloric intake which varies between 1650-2200 cals/day w/a daily goal of 1650 net cal/day.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just food.

Don't believe all the marketing hype about them magically building muscles.

It is nonsense.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I drink them because I like the taste and find them to be a low calorie delicious things. I have poverty macros even when I bulk.
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've not been using protein powder recently, as the last one I tried disagreed with me, but I'm looking for one for spring because it's the only way for me to get decent protein in my smoothies (I hate yoghurt in them, so even if I use milk as the liquid the macros are still pretty poor).

I'm a pescetarian so even though I'm only lifting 3x/week at the moment I'm usually a bit short on my protein goals.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yup, same here. I use them to hit my protein goals, no magic about them. It's convenient and there's only so much lean meat I'm willing to eat to be perfectly honest. I just don't really have a taste for it.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I want to preface by saying that I have nothing against protein shakes or people that drink them. I love lifting, whether it's free weights, machines, cables or just using my own body weight. However, I have not developed any kind of urge to drink protein shakes or to go shopping for protein powder. I also use no supplements. I'd rather get my protein from eating "real food." Any one else out there like me in that regard?

For those who do drink protein shakes, what benefits do you derive from drinking them?

Thanks for stopping by.

Jason

Remember one thing, protein powder is food. That's like saying "Does anyone lift weights without using yogurt?". Protein powder has it's merit, but the problem is with all the marketing out there, protein is given the image as a must which is not true. Protein powder is convenient for those who need protein on the go, for example, I lift at 5 am, I do not have time early in the morning to cook myself something and give myself time to digest before hitting the gym, so that's when protein powder becomes useful. On days that I workout during the day when I don't work, then I won't use protein powder because I have time to cook something and wait for the food to digest before hitting the gym. I don't classify protein powder as a supplement, but more as like food. As I stated, they are not a must, you only need protein powder if you're in a situation where you can't cook yourself a meal or if you just enjoy the taste of it.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit and only have done protein shakes 2 times. Mostly because I didn't want to waste $$$ on a product that I wasn't going to like. I won a bag of protein at my box (for having lost the most inches in a 5 week period) and I do like what I won.

• for_ever_young66
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well, to clarify, I meant to say traditional meals ,(meat with veggies and a starch) instead of real food. One of the other posters mentioned the taste and I'm not a fan of it. With my high blood pressure, I'm afraid to take creatine. Some days, I struggle to reach my protein goals too but I do keep some almonds or protein bars nearby just in case. I also make it a point to meal prep on Sunday so that I won't be in a position to lack whatever nutrients that I need. We have an awful cafeteria at work and meal prepping is necessary for that reason alone.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Well, to clarify, I meant to say traditional meals ,(meat with veggies and a starch) instead of real food. One of the other posters mentioned the taste and I'm not a fan of it. With my high blood pressure, I'm afraid to take creatine. Some days, I struggle to reach my protein goals too but I do keep some almonds or protein bars nearby just in case. I also make it a point to meal prep on Sunday so that I won't be in a position to lack whatever nutrients that I need. We have an awful cafeteria at work and meal prepping is necessary for that reason alone.

Nah, makes sense. I'd totally love to eat more nuts and starches and stuff, but at 1400-1500 calories 5 days a week, there's not as much wiggle room as I'd like. Now, on my 2500-3000 kcal "refeed" days I don't usually need the shakes!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Creatine doesnt have an effect on blood pressure. Its an intramuscular saturated which can enable you to lift more.

I cook with protein powders but never have protein shakes.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Creatine doesnt have an effect on blood pressure. Its an intramuscular saturated which can enable you to lift more.

But if your blood pressure is high, it can. Well, according to my doctor who strongly advised against it.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as most others here. I virtually only make a protein powder shake when I find it hard to hit my protein goal for a day (while still in my calorie limits) and that doesn't happen too often, perhaps once per week or two. And as some do taste good, I sometimes use it as a dessert alternative, though in that case, i do prefer more something like Fast protein pudding instead.
    But I never go to a gym with a Protein shake with me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

But if your blood pressure is high, it can. Well, according to my doctor who strongly advised against it.

From examine.com's research review on creatine: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

eyad9c3mvz71.png

Studies are linked in that section of the human effect matrix, if you're interested in reading them.