Shin pain

Options
The last 2 day I have walked on the tredmill my Shins burn and ake so much I can barly handle it. I strech befor and after but still have pain. Can someone give me Advice please?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/shin-splints/

You are going to have to stop until it heals up.

Look up the RICE method.

Running through the burning might multiply the recovery time so please get on this right away.

AFTER this heals up you might look at a new shoe, inserts, and different angles on the treadmill until you find a combo that works.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Dont work through shin splints, unlike a muscle spasm in your stomach that could go away, shin splints get worse! I've had them so bad I was on crutches for a weekend because of sudden uptick in pain (not from the treadmill, was during a soccer season).

I gave up on the treadmill, even walking on treadmills gives me shin pain. Somehow my gate changes and despite trying different inclines I would end up with shin pain. I got tired of getting shin splints back even after waiting for months before running on the treadmill again.

I switched to outside running and for indoor cardio the elliptical and spin bike.

I also already had inserts in my shoes.

Once you are healed, perhaps someone recording you on the treadmill will help if you haven't already invested in good shoes and foot inserts.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Shin pain does not always mean shin splints.

Since you are using a treadmill, try doing it barefoot to see if you get the shin pain.

If not, it's probably your shoes, or your form in the shoes.
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Interested to see the responses for this. I've noticed a cramping feel in my shins when I walk on the treadmill. If I slow down, it improves, but I do not enjoy walking that slowly. If I jog, I have no issues. Not sure if it's just the treadmill. It's been too cold to do brisk walks outdoors, but that's about to change.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    switch to a stationary bike or swim laps until the pain goes away
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The last 2 day I have walked on the tredmill my Shins burn and ake so much I can barly handle it. I strech befor and after but still have pain. Can someone give me Advice please?

There are a number of different potential causes of shin pain. As you're walking I'd be less likely to see it as a shoe or form issue, which are the the more likely sources for runners.

I'd veer towards either too much, too soon, or a lower leg strength issue.

Can you clarify how much you've been walking before now; distance and frequency, and what distance you've done over the last couple of days.

To be honest, stretching has little impact on things for a walker, and can be a source of issue as well. I'd suggest you don't stretch beforehand at all.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

There are a number of different potential causes of shin pain. As you're walking I'd be less likely to see it as a shoe or form issue, which are the the more likely sources for runners.

I'd veer towards either too much, too soon, or a lower leg strength issue.

Can you clarify how much you've been walking before now; distance and frequency, and what distance you've done over the last couple of days.

To be honest, stretching has little impact on things for a walker, and can be a source of issue as well. I'd suggest you don't stretch beforehand at all.

I suggested that because I am a power walker, and power walk up to paces of 4+ mph. Shin pain is very common in my power walking (even more so than my running).

I recently switched to barefoot running shoes (0 drop with no support or cushioning). I have done 6 sessions so far with absolutely no shin pain at all. Today I did a 5.5 mile session of just power walking at a 4 mph pace just to see if I could get my shins to hurt. They did not hurt the whole walk.

I slam my heels power walking, but with these barefoot shoes I had to adjust my walking form to avoid the pain on my heels.

That is why I suggested she try the treadmill barefoot just to see if it made a difference. If it does, the only differences could be the shoes, the walking form, or the shoes allowing bad walking form.