Successful losers

Options
For those of you that have been losing consistently, was has your average weekly weight loss been? I know that it's healthy to lose 1-2 lbs per week, but I have been losing one pound per week. To me this just doesn't seem like enough. Thoughts...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week....
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you rush it and make too many changes you will not be able to keep over the long term. It will be all for nothing. Take it slow and you will stick with it forever. A pound a week is great. Just think where you will be in a year.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been losing about 6 pounds a month. That could mean some weeks are 2, some are 1 and some are none. But taking it off at a slower rate just means it's less likely to come back.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I lost about 7 lbs a months, the first two months. I'm hoping to pick it up to 10 lbs a month for the next 2.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging 2.8 pounds per week. I've been trending down a little bit the last few weeks but that's too be expected.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much lost spot on as planned - 1/2kg / 1lb a week. About 3 weeks ago I slowed that down even more now to 1/4kg 1/2lb a week & looking maintenance in the eye soon I'd say.

I was in no real rush & wanted it to be sustainable plus I backed off as I got closer to goal again so the transition to maintain would be easier.

4866428.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been losing 1% body fat a month. Overall in 6 months, I have lost 6% body fat which is 33% overall fat loss. I don't track weight so much.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've been losing 2-3 lbs a month. Some weeks I lose up to 0.8 lb, while others I'll lose 0.5 lb or simply nothing. I admit it is slow, but I wouldn't want it any other way. You didn't put on the weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight, either. What happens when you reach your goal? Will you go back to your old habits? Some people forget that there is no finish line- you will have to continue exercising and eating right to maintain your results.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    For those of you that have been losing consistently, was has your average weekly weight loss been? I know that it's healthy to lose 1-2 lbs per week, but I have been losing one pound per week. To me this just doesn't seem like enough. Thoughts...

Depends-- how much do you have to lose? I only average about 2 lbs. a month these days. I am 14 lbs from my goal weight, 6% from my goal bf %, and comfortably into the healthy BMI range. When you get closer to your goal, weight loss slows.

However, I will say that 1 lbs. of weight loss/week is generally very good. Keep it up --- it may be slow, but it's working!
  • kmummy0418
    Options
    :smile:
  • kmummy0418
    Options
    I think 1 pound a week is awesome...that means you are cutting 3500 calories a week!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    That's 52 lbs a year. How long did it take you to gain that weight? :wink:
    Be happy with that loss. :happy:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week = 52 lbs a year. Pretty darn good. I lose about 2 but I started out @ 320 lbs. The more overweight you are the more you usually lose. However once I lose more weight I will be grateful to lose 1 lbs a week.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Feb 9th I weight 185

the last weigh in I weighted 154.4

If you did the average it would say I lost 1.2 lbs a week but ..that's the average LOL. There were a lot of weeks I lost ZILCH..then suddenly 3 lbs gone! It's so crazy. But anyway, I will take it slow and steady wins the race. I didn't gain it overnight..I will not lose it overnight. I look at the fact that I know even I keep up what I'm doing that I will make my goal! I will!
  • kmummy0418
    Options
    1 pound a week....

What does this mean?
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I average 1 pound a week, sometimes a bit more, but less than 1.5 pound/week. That is with a 7000 deficit per week (based on MFP and my BodyMedia Fit), so while the math would indicate I should lose 2 pounds a week, it just doesn't work out that way. When I try to raise my deficit (by lowering calories and increasing exercise) I end up stalling, so one pound a week it is!!

My very first month I lost 12 (probably a lot of water weight with that) and my second month I lost 9. It's been a steady 4-5 pound loss per month since the third month though.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I lost 3lbs in the month of July, so slightly less than one a week.

I'm happy with it. In less than a year, I'll be at my goal weight.

From what I understand, the slower you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off.