Travellers and nature enthusiasts...I need you! Where my Canadian friends at eh?

Options
CBD92
CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
My family and I (2 adults and a 2.5 year old) will be taking off to the mountains this spring and travelling in a trailer for spring, summer, and most of fall. We have no schedule so I wanna hear what parts of BC (Canada) you guys like best! Hiking spots, kayaking, back country camping, etc. Anything to keep us busy and active all summer long!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Everything is beautiful there. I’m no help but it sounds like a fun trip <3
    The obligatory Lake Louise, of course.

ETA. I think Lake Louise is Alberta. Oops

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Did you try an internet search? There are lots of places to go, depending on what you want. There are zip lines, caving, mountain climbing, kayaking/canoeing, hot springs, white water rafting, etc. You could also check the Alberta side of the rocky mountains as well, there's plenty to do on both sides of the border.

ETA: as for back country camping, I'm not sure about BC, but in Alberta, you need a specialized permit, and most of those spots are hike in and hike out, so you would need a place to park the camper while you go. I do believe that there are horseback campsites as well.
  • CBD92
    edited March 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Did you try an internet search? There are lots of places to go, depending on what you want. There are zip lines, caving, mountain climbing, kayaking/canoeing, hot springs, white water rafting, etc. You could also check the Alberta side of the rocky mountains as well, there's plenty to do on both sides of the border.

ETA: as for back country camping, I'm not sure about BC, but in Alberta, you need a specialized permit, and most of those spots are hike in and hike out, so you would need a place to park the camper while you go. I do believe that there are horseback campsites as well.

Lol yes, I tried an internet search. We've been planning the trip for months so we have looked lots of stuff up. But BC is a big place! Lots of stuff to do. I'm sure there are places to experience that I can't find by doing a search so just wanted to see if anyone else has done some awesome things, found some cool hiking spots, etc :)

And yes we definitely plan to spend some time in AB! I'm from SK and we go to Canmore/banff area at least once a month so I don't want to spend as much time there just because it's like a second home already, but the mountains towns in AB are for sure just as beautiful as BC.
  • CBD92
    Options
    Everything is beautiful there. I’m no help but it sounds like a fun trip <3
    The obligatory Lake Louise, of course.

ETA. I think Lake Louise is Alberta. Oops
    Yes, lake lousie is AB but it's definitely on our list of places to stop!! AB or BC, don't matter to me as long as there are trees, mountains, lots of water and cool people :D
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The coolest people on Earth are in Canada! IMO
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I happen to agree. :P

Sorry can't help as I live on the opposite coast.
  • CBD92
    Options

Haha! I find the further west you go the cooler the people get ;)
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    CBD92 wrote: »

Nope. The east coast is definitely "cooler" at least temperature wise lol
  • CBD92
    Options

You could totally help! We have always wanted to check out the east coast, and will probably go that way next year! I'm sure there's lots of cool stuff to explore.
  • CBD92
    edited March 2018
    Options

Nope. The east coast is definitely "cooler" at least temperature wise lol

Haha I guess it's more like, the further to either coast you go the cooler the people get :p
  • singingflutelady
    Options

You could totally help! We have always wanted to check out the east coast, and will probably go that way next year! I'm sure there's lots of cool stuff to explore.

I live on Cape Breton Island. Lots of places to explore here.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Lol yes, I tried an internet search. We've been planning the trip for months so we have looked lots of stuff up. But BC is a big place! Lots of stuff to do. I'm sure there are places to experience that I can't find by doing a search so just wanted to see if anyone else has done some awesome things, found some cool hiking spots, etc :)

And yes we definitely plan to spend some time in AB! I'm from SK and we go to Canmore/banff area at least once a month so I don't want to spend as much time there just because it's like a second home already, but the mountains towns in AB are for sure just as beautiful as BC.

Cool! Just making sure. There are so many places. Have you considered Grande Cache? I love Lac La Biche as well. Maybe not enough for a full week, but you could do a stop over on the way through.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

That's because it's ficken freezing here. :laugh:
  • CBD92
    Options

Cool! Just making sure. There are so many places. Have you considered Grande Cache? I love Lac La Biche as well. Maybe not enough for a full week, but you could do a stop over on the way through.

I have not heard of either of those! But they are definitely on my list of places to check out, thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm in Victoria, so you have to make it over to Vancouver Island.
    Botanical beach, French beach on the way to Sook are good spots.

Goldstream park going over the Malahat on your way up island.
    (Check for salmon run times)
    Rathtrevor falls and beach on the east coast

Uculet and long beach on the west coast.

Then there is the north of the island. Very remote and I have little info on camping.

Saltspring, or any of the small islands, between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

While passing through Vancouver detour to the Capilano Suspension bridge.
    Oops almost forgot Whistler- you don't need snow to enjoy it, there are some wonderful hikes in the area.

The Okanagan has a lot of camp sites all around the lake. Some areas are semi desert. You could also take in a couple of wine tasting tours.

Penticton has a canal you can go down in big inner tube type things.

Nelson and its surrounds are beautiful, very artsy. (Where the movie Roxanne was filmed)

A good approach is to enter the province on the low highway, exit from the high highway (or reverse) and do a loop around.
    Look up passing over the continental divide.
    Revelstoke bat park.
    The spiral tunnel at Kicking horse pass (I think that is it)

I could talk for hours, as I have, in the past, travelled and camped most of it, but I'm packing for a Caribbean cruise, so a little tight in time, and unfocused.

When are you starting your journey?
    If I get time in the next day or two I will get some more info together, otherwise it will be mid April.

Cheers, h.
  • CBD92
    Options

Then there is the north of the island. Very remote and I have little info on camping.

Saltspring, or any of the small islands, between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

Oops almost forgot Whistler- you don't need snow to enjoy it, there are some wonderful hikes in the area.

The Okanagan has a lot of camp sites all around the lake. Some areas are semi desert. You could also take in a couple of wine tasting tours.

Nelson and its surrounds are beautiful, very artsy. (Where the movie Roxanne was filmed)

A good approach is to enter the province on the low highway, exit from the high highway (or reverse) and do a loop around.
    Revelstoke bat park.

I could talk for hours, as I have, in the past, travelled and camped most of it, but I'm packing for a Caribbean cruise, so a little tight in time, and unfocused.

If I get time in the next day or two I will get some more info together, otherwise it will be mid April.

Cheers, h.

This is fantastic!! I actually plan to spend as much time as possible on the island! I had always wanted to visit the island, and I finally got the chance to this past summer and I fell in love. I didn't get enough time there though so I want to be there a lot. So this is so awesome!

Do you know of any free camping spots? Not even necessarily a camp site but just somewhere we can park for free? We will be gone camping for spring, summer, fall, then when it gets cold we are taking off over seas (Thailand and India) for the winter. It's a fantastic trip but it'll be quite costly so as much as we can spare camping costs would be awesome. We are prepped for off grid so don't need hook ups or anything like that.

Thanks for taking the time to write out so much!!

Cheers
    Emm
  • CBD92
    Options

Revelstoke bat park.

Cheers, h.

Also, I'm fairly certain Goldstream campground is where we camped. It was such a nice campsite. I loved it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any free camp sites off the top of my head, but you can sometimes find them on defunct logging roads. There was one near Port Renfrew, not sure if it is still there.

I suspect the further north you are on the island the more you will find. (North of Nanaimo)

Check
    bcmag.ca
    Freecampsites.net
    Tripadvisor.ca
    explorer-mag.com
    Backroadmapbooks.com.

Not sure of the links as we quit camping about 2008 and started cruising.

We were in Singapore and India a couple of years ago, haven't got to Thailand yet.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This isn't camping, but If you're interested in First People's heritage, go to the anthropology museum at UBC in Vancouver. It's truly fascinating!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I have not heard of either of those! But they are definitely on my list of places to check out, thanks!

Touchwood lake is by Lac La Biche and it's a windy gravel road to get there, but once you're there, the sites are big and not right on top of each other like some campgrounds. There's a big lake (not sure if they rent boats), and along the road to get there, there is a hiking path that leads to some back country camping - hike in and hike out. There are black bears in the area, but I assume you're okay with that given that you've spent time in the rockies.