Almond milk, coconut milk, etc

Options
I LOVE almonds and have been very interested to try the Almond milk. Do you guys drink it like you would regular milk or do you find yourself substituting it in recipes and such? Anyone use it as creamer in coffee? My same questions apply to the coconut milk... and are the health benefits the same?

Replies

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just bought some to try out this week - so far I've had it on cereal (pretty good), plain (the taste is a little off putting), in oatmeal (works fine), and to make instant "pudding" with greek yogurt (worked well).

I think mixed it tastes better overall, but I haven't tried doing a half and half with real milk yet and I don't drink coffee.

Check the box for the health differences...but keep in mind that some stuff you can only get from real milk, not vegetable/nut/fruit alternatives.
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use so delicious coconut milk creamer, french vanilla flavor. Its so good in coffee and now I dont need to use artificial sweetner. I also use coconut milk, sugar free in my protien shakes from time to time.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    So I'm vegan -meaning I don't consume any dairy products. Lots of people are allergic to dairy, and even more have a lactose intolerance- so they generally don't consume dairy either. There are alternatives to get the same nutrition - various plant mylks being one of them. I generally only use plant mylk in my black tea, but on accasion I use it in cereal. It can also be used in baking. They all taste different and have varying number of overall calories and fat calories. I always buy unsweetened. You could also try hemp, oat, hazelnut, rice, etc., if you don't like the coconut or almond. I prefer the coconut in my tea, but find it disgusting in cereal. They are just different flavors and consistencies, so I say experiment.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use regular almond milk to make mashed potatoes, boxed pasta dishes that call for milk, pretty much anything I would use normal milk for. I have used the so delicious coconut creamer but I think I'd rather just use almond milk, it's thicker.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking and using almond milk. I am actually pretty surprised, I like it a lot.

I can enjoy drinking it straight, but I have to be careful what cereal I put it on, as it becomes overly sweet for me.
  • banjobaby
    banjobaby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i use almond milk, mostly on cereal, oatmeal or in coffee. i've used in recipes that call for milk without any problems. love it!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Here's an article with a milk comparison chart on the health benefits, calories, protein and calcium content of cow, goat, soy, rice, coconut and almond milk. :smile:

http://www.livescience.com/14948-skinny-milk-nutrition-goat-rice-soy.html
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I too just started this but I used to use fat free milk milk and this is so much better and less calories. I use the sugar free Silk PureAlmond - yum. Doesn't taste like almond to me, but I like it in my coffee too.

I drink it in my cereal, I make frozen ice cream with it, I make chocolate milk with it, I make strawberry smoothies with it... for 35 calories per 8 ounces, I'm using it, using it, using it!

(I never really liked milk so this is great!)

Edited: I cook with it, I use it anywhere I would have used milk.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Also - you can make your own almond mylk fairly easily if you don't want the extra ingedients.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I use it in cereal and in smoothies. I haven't tried it in anything else. I use the unsweetened variety. If you get the vanilla flavor, it adds a lot of sugar.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I use it in cereal and in smoothies. I haven't tried it in anything else. I use the unsweetened variety. If you get the vanilla flavor, it adds a lot of sugar.

Actually, they now have vanilla unsweetened now which is quite good!

Good point though that we should stick to unsweetened.

I love both coconut milk and almond milk. Doing Paleo, I've been trying to cut down on dairy
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of rice milk....
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    After looking at a friend I made here's food diary, I noticed she used almond milk a lot...so I decided a few days ago to get some. I bought the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original...so far, I've only used it in cereal, and I love it! It honestly made my cereal taste better than it ever has. I also bought some Silk Almond Milk Unsweetened Original, to see how it tastes vs. the regular original one...haven't tried that one yet, but will once I use up my Blue Diamond one. I was kinda wary, since I hate soy milk, but I'm very pleased with my choice of the almond milk.