a question for girls :)

Options
hey, so i was just wondering--as you have been losing weight, has anyone else also lost their period?? i haven't had a period in a few months, and i think it may be from my dieting!! :( is anyone else having this happen?

Replies

• Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wish!!!!!

It's gotten better, but not gone.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I've seen others post similar things so I know it happens. For me, I always had an irregular cycle, but when I'm eating right and exercising it gets more regular.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nope. My period did lighten up the first few months, but it's business as usual nowadays.

However, in high school I was borderline anorexic and didn't have a period for about 10 months.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I thought mine was gone, darnit! Then I found this site and started eating better and it's been here every single month! !!!!!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    how under calories are you? If you go long periods of not enough calories you can stop menstrating.(sp)
  • colourdiva69
    colourdiva69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much you weigh or how much you've lost (and I'm not a doctor) but you should definitely still be getting your period. The only way you stop from dieting is if you're not getting enough calories or not eating nutritious foods. If you're not pregnant and if you've always been regular maybe look at what and how much you're eating, or call your gynecologist?
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    mine were irregular before i started dieting now i've been getting them every month
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Did you take a pregnancy test? Sorry, I had to ask!:tongue:
  • sarahsmom89
    Options
    Listen to these folks. Sounds like you are undereating or over dieting. Healthy and nutritious is the way to go. And go see your gyny to make sure that you're OK.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Losing a period entirely could mean that you are under weight. We all hate it, but checking in with your doctor might be wise. I have had it happen. All they had me do was keep a food journal for a week, and then they determined I was malnurished. Take a multivitamin and try to eat a very wide variety of colorful fruits and veggies plus keep your protein up, and eat 100% whole wheat breads and pastas. This problem should stop, but again, its best to ask the doc.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you see a doctor. You're periods should not stop from a normal diet and exercise.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    No, if anything your periods should just get lighter. Not go altogether! Check with a doctor, because you're either not getting enough nutrients or there's something up.
    Unless you're on the pill, that can sometimes stop your period!
    Like the pill I'm on, I haven't had a period in 2 years. I bleed a little every few months, but nothing that I need a pad for.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Losing your period is a bad sign. It is *not* healthy. You don't appear menopausal so you need to look at whether you are a healthy weight have enough fat and are eating enough. And you need to be under a doctor's care. Long term health problems can result. Seriously.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I WISH!!! Its actually become regular, before it would come one month, another it won't. Now it won't miss its schedule ;___;
  • LCDMomma
    LCDMomma Posts: 67
    Options
    When women have too low body fat their period will stop. Do you know what your body fat % is?
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Not me. Mine's been worse! I was told it's from the estrogen that's stored in fat being released into my blood stream as I lose weight and should get better when I stop losing. Ugh. It was bad enough already (narcotics for the pain bad)!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that either you aren't eating enough calories or are underweight. Go see your doctor and make sure, losing your period is not safe for your body and is a huge indication of issues. It can have long term reproductive issues.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wish it would go away! But since I've been eating better it has become regular, whereas it used to come whenever it felt like it.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I lost my period when I started running competitively (freshman year of high school), and it never came back. My doctor had to put me on birth control so I could get it back.
  • kwolf2011
    Options
    Hi,

Sometimes losing too much weight can stop your cycle. Not healthy, but then again I don't know how your cycle is normally, lol. If you're worried, the best advice I can give is to consult your gynocologist; weight wise, you could be under the healthy range for your height...?