Eating 1400 calories? What do you eat?

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
So I recently dropped my calorie budget to 1400 calories. It has been a struggle. I feel like I barely have room for anything. Would love to get some ideas from all of you.

What are you eating?

Replies

• Jenna2315
    Jenna2315 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 calories!! & it's sucks lol. I go over almost every day! ...but when Im doing good I eat yogurt, protein bars, eggs, chicken, & fruit. I'm haaangryyy though sooo idk what the right things to eat are! I feel like I'm always hungry lol
  • Jenna2315
    Jenna2315 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You are amazing lol...thanks! This helped me a lot too!! Im strugglinggg
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @Jenna2315 you can do it! Sometimes it just takes a little time to get used to it!
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can google 1400 calorie eating plans which can give you a bit of a guide as to what you can have.
    Be sure to include plenty of vegetables and lean protein options. This will keep the calories down and allow you to slot in additional snacks, dairy and complex carbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    If you get some exercise for an hour a day, you'll get 300-400 more calories. 1700 is a lot easier than 1400.
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat similar stuff everyday.

I have coffee with heavy cream (100 cal) or half and half (35 cal) as breakfast.

Lunch is 8oz meat of choice. (chicken 200 cal, pork 240 cal, beef 300 cal)
    2 tbsp oil to cook the meat (250 cal)

1 lb of green vegs ( around 150 cal) if need to cook the veg, use the same pan with left over oil for cooking the meat.

at 6pm, I always have an avocado for dinner (250 cal). One hard boiled egg (90 cal) and coffee with heavy cream(100 cal) with half and half (35 cal).

I dont eat anything after 6pm.

That is around 1250 cal. If I eat a fatty cut of meat for lunch, it usually goes up to 1500 cal. I usually go over if I eat anything that is processed.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I have coffee with heavy cream (100 cal) or half and half (35 cal) as breakfast.

1 lb of green vegs ( around 150 cal) if need to cook the veg, use the same pan with left over oil for cooking the meat.

at 6pm, I always have an avocado for dinner (250 cal). One hard boiled egg (90 cal) and coffee with heavy cream(100 cal) with half and half (35 cal).

That is around 1250 cal. If I eat a fatty cut of meat for lunch, it usually goes up to 1500 cal. I usually go over if I eat anything that is processed.

TWO tablespoons? Do you like that? Wouldn't you rather use a spray and have another 250 cal small meal or snack later in the day or does the fat fill you up? Sorry. I write this as I'm considering going keto so I guess I'm trying to wrap my mind around it.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    jadedone wrote: »
    So I recently dropped my calorie budget to 1400 calories. It has been a struggle. I feel like I barely have room for anything. Would love to get some ideas from all of you.

What are you eating?

The trick for me is to fill up on veggies and treat most everything else as a condiment :) Veggies can be made tastier by roasting or stir frying in a little water with some homemade stir fry sauce. I also satisfy my sweet tooth by substituting yogurt and fruit or almond milk with a small amount of oatmeal & fruit for higher calorie treats. I hope this helps :)
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

TWO tablespoons? Do you like that? Wouldn't you rather use a spray and have another 250 cal small meal or snack later in the day or does the fat fill you up? Sorry. I write this as I'm considering going keto so I guess I'm trying to wrap my mind around it.

I have no willpower against hunger. If I get hungry on a diet, I will fail. The reason I stay with keto is that while eating at such low cal level, with enough fat, I dont feel hungry. If you can deal with hunger, then using oil spray is fine. If not, you would need the fat.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I have no willpower against hunger. If I get hungry on a diet, I will fail. The reason I stay with keto is that while eating at such low cal level, with enough fat, I dont feel hungry. If you can deal with hunger, then using oil spray is fine. If not, you would need the fat.

OH! So you are actually keto. Sorry I thought you were just like...using a lot of oil. lol. Thank you for the insight. I'm nervous about trying it because of the low protein. Anyway, conversation for another thread. Sorry OP!
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1300 and 1400 calories per day. I don't restrict my eating (although I do eat a lot of veggies, fruits, beans, whole grains, fish, eggs, olive oil). Instead, I restrict my portion sizes to half of what I used to eat before (logic is that if what I was eating before made me overweight, I was overeating and need to retrain myself to eat appropriate amounts of food). That way I get a lot of variety in my meals, feel satisfied, and the weight is finally coming off. Not an exciting diet plan, but it works for me.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I love my 1400 calories and is easy for me with 3 meals and 1 snack (hard boiled egg). But there is no cheat room though!
    If I eat a frozen meal....healthy choice....WW....lean cuisine or the such it cannot be over 290. Now that is hard! I bulk everything up with with veggies.
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You gotta learn to love your veggies. I make myself jumbo salads with measured servings of low cal dressings. I have learned to roast veggies recently and not only do I love them that way but my kids are eating them. Roasted green beans, asparagus, carrots, broccoli - all fresh. Last night I had 5.6 oz of roasted broccoli with a tiny bit of olive oil for 140 calories. I am also learning to like my food "plain". No sauces or breading, nothing fried in oil, blah blah. But if you pan fry your protein with a tiny bit of olive oil or roast it in the oven you would be surprised how large of a portion you can eat without killing your calorie budget.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to eat the same amount of calories at each meal everyday. So if breakfast is always 300 calories, then I can make my options fit into that amount. I'd structure it like this

breakfast- 300 calories
    lunch- 400 calories
    snack- 200 calories
    dinner- 400 calories
    dessert- 100 calories

then fill each meal with ideas that will meet that calorie count and will be easy for you to rotate in and out. So for example-

breakfast- 2 eggs with spinach and tomato (170), 1 piece of toast (100), coffee with 1 tbsp creamer (30)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I eat between 13-1400 daily mon-sat. Feel free to look in my diary. I average 125-140 G protein a day. You can send a friend request also if you'd like.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I find it easier to eat the same amount of calories at each meal everyday. So if breakfast is always 300 calories, then I can make my options fit into that amount. I'd structure it like this

breakfast- 300 calories
    lunch- 400 calories
    snack- 200 calories
    dinner- 400 calories
    dessert- 100 calories

then fill each meal with ideas that will meet that calorie count and will be easy for you to rotate in and out. So for example-

breakfast- 2 eggs with spinach and tomato (170), 1 piece of toast (100), coffee with 1 tbsp creamer (30)

I'm like this, too. My breakdown is generally like this for 1450 calories:

"Breakfast "--120 calories, just coffee, sugar, and a square of dark chocolate

Lunch--350 calories, often an egg and cheese burrito or a bean burrito, or maybe a veg soup with chicken added in

Snack--130 calories, usually Fage 2% Greek yogurt, or a banana and a bite of something else

Dinner--550 calories, pasta, chicken, zoodles, etc, or just a smaller portion of our regular meals

"Late night"--300 calories for wine or beer, plus a small snack like a slice of cheese and a few crackers, or one cookie or piece of chocolate

If I get extra exercise calories, I just add those in wherever I need or want them, which is usually snack or dinner.

ETA--Just a thought--I eat 1450 most days, but have 2 days/week that I bump it up to 1850. This allows me more treats, or to eat our more calorie-laden meals like homemade pizza, pesto pasta, breakfast for dinner, or a meal out. It also seems to make the 1450 days easier. Averaged out over the whole week, it ends up being about 1550 calories/day, and I am fine with that. It's been working better for me than trying to hit 1450 everyday, and my body seems happier.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If you get some exercise for an hour a day, you'll get 300-400 more calories. 1700 is a lot easier than 1400.

Eating back my exercise calories did not seem to help me, so I am sticking with 1400-ish all in. I have been pretty stuck over the past couple of montgs.
    suzilla53 wrote: »
    My TDEE is only 1250, it’s sad. I maintain on tons of vegetables, most usually frozen.Usually half a sweet potato daily. Oatmeal,protein powder for breakfast. I also eat a lot of plain poached fish.It is very tricky to live on about 1300 calories a day but I’ve been doing it for 2 years now. I really watch the macros,keep the protein up. For me every calorie has to be a good one.My best treat is..... Halo Top! Also I am frequently a little hungry, it’s ok to be a little hungry.I shake it off and get up and do something.CatL pretty much sums it up, you get used to it.Shes giving good advice.Theres also been someone here that says “ You gotta want it bad”

When I got my DEXA scan, I found out my TDEE was 1400 or 1450 calories a day. I feel your pain, I have way more to lose so it was disheartening. My minimum is to lose 40#.
    I need 1400 to lose. There's not really room for much "fluff". Like if it doesn't fill you up and it's over 100 calories....for me, it tends not to be worth it. 1400 is where I may even stop sugar/milk in my coffee. I never eat breakfast but definitely will not on 1400. Lots of veggies, protein, higher volume meals over calorie dense higher carb/fat choices.

I am extra struggling since my naturopath is also recommending lower fat, and I have increased my fat intake over tge past couple of years. 20% is really hard, and I am failing daily. I got used to eating fewer carbs, and now I am supposed to be eating more of them. It is much harder than it seems. But I am also less hungry when I eat enough of them.

I am about 2 weeks into 1400 calories, but it feels like I have to think about calories all the time and I hate it. 1600 calories was so much easier. Now it feels like I really have to consider milk or half and half, sugar in my coffee or if I can have an orange for dessert. Or can I have a few nuts for a snack or just stick witg some carrots.

I had a cheat day and ordered pizza last week, so I spent most of the week with the leftovers. I did eat way less pizza than usual -I kept it to 2 slices with the leftovers.

I feel like there is no room for snacks at all. And getting to 55% carbs is way harder than I ever thought. I was having eggs and avocado, but that killed my fat for the day. So I decided to not have that anymore.

Yesterday:
    smoothie with vanilla protein powder, cocoa powder, macadamia nut milk and half a banana
    bacon gouda breakfast sandwich and flat white
    blackberries with vanilla greek yogurt
    roasted squash
    salmon with rice, steamed broccoli, carrorts and a miso soy sauce
    an orange

I feel like I am not eating enough veggies and I don’t have room for more!