Pregnancy profile and snack tips

Options
Hi ladies,
I was looking for some feedback...

I was 140lbs., with my profile set to lose 1/2 lb. per week. That gave me a daily caloric intake of 1330. I was down to 132lbs. Since becoming pregnant I've update my profile to "maintain current weight." This brought my daily caloric intake up to 1740. Now, if I add the additional 300 calories recommended during pregnancy that obviously brings me up to 2040. Does that seem to be a bit much? What are your thoughts, have any of you paid close attention in this area?

Also, I need some snacky foods to eat during the day...any suggestions?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Considering the average daily calorie intake for a woman who ISN'T pregnant is 2,000....2040 seems perfectly normal, maybe even not quite enough.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I was eating about that when I was pg. In fact, it's about what I'm eating now (I'm breastfeeding my 7 week old). You're suppose to eat the same while nursing that you did while pregnant. If you're really concerned, you could call your OB. It's gonna depend on your body though. Usually they'll give you an amount of weight they want you to gain so try to eat to have that weight gain.

Honestly, I didn't track calories while I was pregnant. I just made wise food choices and ate when I as hungry. I only gained 28 pounds with this baby and he was 9 1/2 pounds at birth.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? You're caloric needs don't really need to go up 300 calories until you are in the 2nd trimester.

"Energy requirements are only slightly increased during the first trimester. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for calories during the second and third trimesters is 300 additional calories or about a 15% increase over non-pregnancy requirements. This RDA presumes a moderate level of activity.

Tanya Jolliffe, BabyFit healthy eating expert"
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Second Trimester, 21 weeks Saturday :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    you really only need the extra 300 calories a day during the last half of the second trimester and all of the third trimester. however, call your obgyn if you want clarification in your specific instance. sometimes they will have you eat the 300 calories from the beginning (if you are on the low end of your bmi) or sometimes they won't have you eat them until the third trimester (if you are in a higher bmi range). congrats on the pregnancy!
  • jogaryjo
    jogaryjo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello myfitnesspals,
    This is the first time I have tried something like this and well, let's see how this goes! I have an old friend recommend the website for weight loss but what he may not know is I am 19 weeks pregnant with my first (and probably only since I am 41). Therefore, I do not know how to make this website work for me. Prior to the pregnancy I was trying to lose about 40 pounds and was on a good path. I competed in my first Tri RELAY (Swimmer) last October and was training for one this summer when I found out I was pregnant. So, with all that said, how do I use the web site to "lose" and maybe help get back on track after the baby arrives. I would like to compete in the same Tri next fall and maybe one next summer. I lost 12 pounds my first 12 weeks (no morning sickness just better choices) and have not gained a pound from week 12-19. :happy: My MD wants me to gain about 12-15 pounds weeks 20-40. I appreciate all and any tips tricks and feedback! thank you for "listening"!:smile: